Pace of Play with Newbies!!!

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Yesterday I had an awesome experience with two guys brand new to golf - like yesterday's round was only the fourth round ever for both. This round had all the stereotypical "slow play" elements:
  • Walker (Me)
  • Newbie - the two other players
  • Cart Path Only
  • High Winds
  • Full Course
  • Really bad golfers

Well, we finished in exactly 4 hours - 30 minutes faster than the course designated pace of play. These two guys were awful - like lucky if they are on the green in 8 awful. But they always walked from the cart path to their ball ready with clubs, didn't spend all sorts of time when hitting into the native grass - basically just dropped near the point of entry and hit - and also picked up when it was just getting too much. They played the white tees instead of the blues and didn't try to be heros making stupid, low probability of making shots.

We always kept up with the group in front and we played ready golf all the time.

It was really eye opening for me because everything said it should have been a 5+ hour round. Bravo to the newbies!!!:clapp::clapp::clapp:

After the round I encouraged them to continue to get back out there. It was one of the best times I've had golfing with complete strangers because I really enjoyed seeing the two of them in the same place I was 27 to 28 years ago.

Cart path only just screams long rounds.

Funny thing is, rounds can be fairly fast considering, when common sense is used. Like you said, taking multiple clubs is a biggie. Being sensible where you leave the cart is another. We even had a tournament last year that was cart path only, with two groups on each tee, that played faster than normal tournaments that got off the path.

Glad you got a fun pairing.

Glad they had fun and that you encouraged them.

When it's cart path only it's quicker to walk. That's been my experience anyway. I always have my pull cart ready for such situations. I see no sense in trying to ride in a cart when under these conditions. It's just too damn slow. But congrats on the pace of play under those conditions. You guys did well.

That's awesome man, I definitely applaud them for being courteous and cognizant of pace. You really don't see that very often... :clapp:

That's a good experience. I have had mixed results with new golfers lately. I try to be polite and as long as we keep up,with the group in front I don't say anything but if we fall behind ill mention we need to,pick up pace and I try to be encouraging as I was once there and the guys I played with were that way with me

I think it's well documented that player ability generally has nothing to do with pace, it's all about knowing how to play ready golf and to be considerate of your pace. Obviously the people you played with were right in tune, good story.

that is impressive and good job to the NEWBS that understood being ready.

I will welcome anyone as a playing partner if they keep a good pace. I couldn't care less what you shoot. Glad to hear these guys had the good etiquette/common sense in their play. A real rarity...

Actually the slowest guy I ever played with was a scratch guy. He had even qualified for the Byron Nelson a couple of times. He was by far the best person I have ever played golf with. With that said ever shot was like he was on the final round of the Masters. It was insane. I stopped at 9 holes since I couldn't stand it.

Actually the slowest guy I ever played with was a scratch guy. He had even qualified for the Byron Nelson a couple of times. He was by far the best person I have ever played golf with. With that said ever shot was like he was on the final round of the Masters. It was insane. I stopped at 9 holes since I couldn't stand it.

When you encounter this again try something fun we do. Use your phones stop watch and start it when it's his shot and he's at the location of the ball, or starts looking for the ball and stop after he hits. Look at the actual cumulative time he spent golfing. It helps keep your mind off waiting. I do this often and learned it from someone who was actually complaining about me. I usually juts do "Mississippi's" now though. I average 35 minutes over the ball, I shoot in the 70's so works out to a about 30 seconds a shot after you take out the tap ins etc.

Back