Thread: Comparison of R1 and RBZ stage 2 drivers

Handicap
    Thanks

Comparison of R1 and RBZ stage 2 drivers

Hi all had a chance to do this yesterday at Golfers Warehouse in Cranston, R.I. Hit 5 shots with each on a launch monitor and wanted to post the results I had. First up was the R1 with a standard R.I.P. Alpha stiff shaft in stiff with driver set to neutral. With this driver I averaged 256yds. carry with rollout to 280yds. Also my spin was 2350 RPM's. Now the RBZ Stage 2 driver with the same shaft and driver was 10.5 degrees. With this driver I averaged 276 yds. of carry with the rollout averaging 296 yds! Holy Crap is all I can say and the RBZ felt so smooth it wasn,t funny. My spin with the RBZ was averaging just below 2100 RPM,s. The distance was impressive in that I was not swinging out of my shoes. It was rather effortless to put it mildly. A couple of ?'s though. Was the spin on the RBZ low or was that ok, because as far as spin goes I don't know if that was good or bad. Also, is the RBZ a low spin head or was that the shaft doing that? Thanks for reading guys and gals!
    TM R11 Driver AXE Tour Stiff Shaft
    TM RBZ 3 Wood AXE Fairway Shaft
    TEE Trology #3&#4 Hybrids Graffalloy C Note Stiff Shaft
    TM TP CB 5-PW KBS Tour,s Black Nickel Finish
    Callaway Wedges 50,54&58 Stiff Shaft
    Ping I Series Putter 34 Inches long
    Wilson FG Tours
    2 3/4 tees

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcv68 View Post
    Hi all had a chance to do this yesterday at Golfers Warehouse in Cranston, R.I. Hit 5 shots with each on a launch monitor and wanted to post the results I had. First up was the R1 with a standard R.I.P. Alpha stiff shaft in stiff with driver set to neutral. With this driver I averaged 256yds. carry with rollout to 280yds. Also my spin was 2350 RPM's. Now the RBZ Stage 2 driver with the same shaft and driver was 10.5 degrees. With this driver I averaged 276 yds. of carry with the rollout averaging 296 yds! Holy Crap is all I can say and the RBZ felt so smooth it wasn,t funny. My spin with the RBZ was averaging just below 2100 RPM,s. The distance was impressive in that I was not swinging out of my shoes. It was rather effortless to put it mildly. A couple of ?'s though. Was the spin on the RBZ low or was that ok, because as far as spin goes I don't know if that was good or bad. Also, is the RBZ a low spin head or was that the shaft doing that? Thanks for reading guys and gals!
    Clear win for the stage 2. I would not be concerned with the spin number because given 276 carry your ball speed has to be high enough to perform well in the 2100's RPM SPIN RANGE

Driver Taylormade SLDR, 12 Degree
    Or Taylormade R11S, 9 Degree, Miyazaki

Fairways Taylor Made 2007 Burner #3
    Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21
    Irons #5 - PW Taylormade Rocketballz

Wedges Ping G5 50, Vokey Raw 54; Vokey Raw 60 ( bent to 58+), Project X Shafts,
    Putter YES Victoria II

College Golfer
    Handicap
    GHIN 0.3
    Thanks
    You need to get the R1 tuned specifically for you. Until then, I wouldn't be judging between the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevRickus View Post
    The scary part is, I am about 95% sure you do want him to ask him and if he did you would go out and get exactly what he was drinking and have your Rickie voodoo doll drink it while you danced around the room listening to Goodbye Horses.
    Driver: Classic XL Custom 9*
    3W: Launcher 13.5*
    Hybrids: Classic 18*
    Irons: MT 3, CB 4-9
    Wedges: 588 RTX 47*, 53*, 59*
    Putter: Metal X 35"

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,165 Posts
    Not surprised. I hit the Stage 2 further than the R1 by a good margin. R1 did have better dispersion, though

Livin' The Dream!
    Handicap
    < Last Yr!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 748 Posts
    Marc, I did a similar test a while back @ the golf town in seekonk, ma. I think it's a combination of both the shaft and the head being designed for low spin.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!
    #TheKing - Victory!
    ArmyGolf-Buckjob-Cpljohnst-Golf4life-Teedupthoughts-sposey013168-Sparksjr
    WITB:

Spoiler
    Big Bertha 13.5* head, Stock Stiff Shaft
    X2Hot 5-wood 19*, Stock Stiff Blue Shaft
    Mashie M3, CKua 56g Stiff
    x2Hot 4 Hybrid (stock stiff tour blue), XHot Pro 5-PW (Project X 95 Flighted 6.0)
    Vokey SM4 52 bent to 50
    X - Forged 54 & 58
    Ghost Spider S 34" with Mid Slim 2.0

SR2 Balls, Z6 Tour rangefinder, and 3.5 Cart

Handicap
    My Driver
    Thanks
    Hi all had a chance to do this yesterday at Golfers Warehouse in Cranston, R.I. Hit 5 shots with each on a launch monitor and wanted to post the results I had. First up was the R1 with a standard R.I.P. Alpha stiff shaft in stiff with driver set to neutral. With this driver I averaged 256yds. carry with rollout to 280yds. Also my spin was 2350 RPM's. Now the RBZ Stage 2 driver with the same shaft and driver was 10.5 degrees. With this driver I averaged 276 yds. of carry with the rollout averaging 296 yds!
    Curious as to how these numbers compare to your current gamer? Did you happen to get a baseline comparison on the monitor?
    In my Carry Bag
    Driver: Amp Cell w/ Kusala Black 61s
    Fairway Wood: Mashie Fairway F3T (14*)
    Hybrids: Classic 2H (18*), 4H (23*)
    Irons: 588 Altitudes 5-DW w/ Tour 90
    Wedges: 588 RXT CB 54*; SmartSole 58*
    Putter: m3b or m5x Proto A Counterbalanced
    Ball: B330-RX, E6

Major Champion
    Handicap
    luck
    Thanks
    I feel like normal driver fittings can't do the R1 justice. Given the time constraints, they usually have you hitting a number of head/shaft combos without too much time to mess with the settings. It kind of short changes all these very adjustable drivers. IMO, ideally, you have to get fitted for a proper shaft, use that shaft with your gamer head or similar for a baseline, then just concentrate on 1 or 2 adjustable heads and spend the entire time tweaking with the settings until you get optimal numbers for that head.

The RBZ2 on the other hand, is about grip it and rip it as it gets. I love that club but I do want to see what the R1 can do.

#ATLClive75
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JT723 View Post
    You need to get the R1 tuned specifically for you. Until then, I wouldn't be judging between the 2.

Completely agree with this. It's tough to really do much comparison with the R1 until you have it properly adjusted for you. I was not a fan of the R1 in the original stock settings. Now, I really like the R1 (but can't stand my swing).
    Current Setup:

Big Bertha Alpha (9o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 3W (15o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 5W (18o), Tour Green
    X2Hot Pro 20o, Tour Green
    Apex 5-AW, TourV
    MackDaddy2 (54o, 58o), TourV
    Versa #7 WBW
    SR3

Handicap
    Thanks
    In testing I found I hit the Stage 2 further and consistently much straighter
    than the R1 . I liked everything about the Stage 2 including the sound and
    the 100 bucks less.
    Going to do some more testing of these two and others, but the Stage 2
    has the inside track now.
    gb
    Last edited by LEFTY57; 03-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    TM R1 Driver
    Cobra Bio Cell 3 wood
    Cobra Bio cell 3 & 4 Hybrids
    TM RSi 1 5-pw, Sldr Aw
    Titleist Vokey Sm4 54* & 58*
    TM 38" Spider Mallet Putter

Handicap
    Exploding
    Thanks
    I understand tweaking the R1, etc, but if he hit 5 shots with both and using the same shaft in both and averaged 20yds more with one over the other, how much do you think could be gained by messing the R1? Is he going to gain another 20yds and if he does, he will be equal with the stage 2 before any tweaking with that one? The same should also be done with the Stage 2 in regards to testing different shafts, lofts, etc. Personally if I swung both with the same shaft and averaged 20yds more with one, I wouldn't even mess with the shorter one and focus on improving distance and dispersion with the longer one as your baseline with the longer is better to start from.
    WITB
    Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 8.5*
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade SLDR Mini 12*, SLDR 3w HL 17*
    Irons: 4,5 Cleveland Altitudes 6,7,8 588MT, 9,PW,DW 588TT
    Wedges: Vokey 54,60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo Belly

Handicap
    Thanks
    I agree Vegan702, I think I would be more prone to start tweaking the RBZ and try to maybe get a few more yds. out of it but it seems as though I might be maxed out ydg. wise. Due to my swing you know. But I was extremely happy with it. I would have liked to tweak the R1 settings wise but not enough time as I was kinda pushed for time. I will say that 296yd. avg. sounds sweeeeeeet! I mean my longest was 305 that for me is monstrous!
    TM R11 Driver AXE Tour Stiff Shaft
    TM RBZ 3 Wood AXE Fairway Shaft
    TEE Trology #3&#4 Hybrids Graffalloy C Note Stiff Shaft
    TM TP CB 5-PW KBS Tour,s Black Nickel Finish
    Callaway Wedges 50,54&58 Stiff Shaft
    Ping I Series Putter 34 Inches long
    Wilson FG Tours
    2 3/4 tees

Handicap
    Thanks
    I tested out both clubs and went with the R1. After dialing it in, 9.5 | 2 Open | Neutral, I average 295 with slight draw. The Stage 2 would hang right and not come around no matter what I did. I have a very hard in to out swing at 111 mph. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,064 Posts
    What was your swing speed and ball speed on each of them?

Big Berta Alpha with Diamana D+ (Thanks to Santa Kang)
    BB 3 wood stiff
    Adams Pro 20 degree Hybrid
    Adams Pro 23 degree hybrid
    Apex 5 - PW KBS Tour V stiff
    MD2, 50 and 54 KBS tour V stiff
    Vokey 60
    SeeMore Si1 33 inches

Handicap
    Thanks
    I've hit both and liked the R1 better. Better dispersion with the R1 and both were about the same distance. The ball felt like it flew off of the face of the R1.
    Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* w/ RIP Gamma X-Flex
    Razr Fit 3W S flex
    A3OS 3-5h
    A3OS 6-9i
    Wedges: 56*
    50, 60*
    White Ice #2
    project [a]