Standing Tall and Posture are so important

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
While doing my latest club testing/fitting my wife got a few pictures of me swinging and holy cow is the difference from my normal comfortable posture to my taller better posture is like night and day.

Comfortable but hunched:
IMG_4746_zpsa6f836be.jpg

Taller, better!!!
IMG_4747_zps60318eb8.jpg

Also as you can see from my follow through I need to stand taller during the finish as well!!!
IMG_4748_zpsb963d2d6.jpg

Truth be told stand tall is something I've heard a lot during my short golf career, but for an ex hockey player that's always been tough for me, but TJ and the crew at Edwin Watts in Overland Park really gave me a few other things to keep in mind:
  • Stand Tall
  • Chin Up
  • Chest Out
  • Flat Back
  • Shoulders Back

All of these tips are really going to help me this year.

Any thoughts you have on my posture or follow through is welcome and appreciated!!

Yes quite hunched over in that first picture. Posture and balance are quite important.

You are going to see a big increase in distance - your hips are going to be free to rotate with your spine better aligned!

You are going to see a big increase in distance - your hips are going to be free to rotate with your spine better aligned!
That's very true, it was amazing to see how much distance I was able to add with some minor posture adjustments!

After seeing some pictures of myself this summer and trying the SPi method from SeeMore I couldn't believe how hunched over I was when to me it felt like I was standing fairly straight. I have been working on this over the winter and seeing some results on a launch monitor the other day, it is amazing the difference it makes.

Taller, better!!!
IMG_4747_zps60318eb8.jpg

Also as you can see from my follow through I need to stand taller during the finish as well!!!
Truth be told stand tall is something I've heard a lot during my short golf career, but for an ex hockey player that's always been tough for me, but TJ and the crew at Edwin Watts in Overland Park really gave me a few other things to keep in mind:
  • Stand Tall
  • Chin Up
  • Chest Out
  • Flat Back
  • Shoulders Back

All of these tips are really going to help me this year.

Any thoughts you have on my posture or follow through is welcome and appreciated!!

Posture is a key to a good setup.

Have you ever stood straight? Drill. Find a flat wall. Heels against the wall. See if you can touch your posterior, shoulders and back of your head to that wall. Tough huh? It's because of bad posture. Once you get them to touch, now bend at hips and slightly flex your knees. This should be your setup.

Let your arms hang naturally and that is where your club should be held, which in turn determines your distance from the ball...

This is one of the things I've been working on, i find myself hunching over and it really hurts my swing. And believe you me, my swing doesn't need to be any more painful!

The first thing my teacher worked on was my posture. Got to have good posture for the rest to work.

Looks like in your pics that you're bent at the waist in the hunched over posture, and at the hips in the taller posture. Much better to be bent at the hips, for your swing and your back/body.

This was one of the biggest changes to my game, except I was the opposite. I'm not a super tall man, so I decided to swing very upright. Worked on bending at the waist properly and it changed a lot.

Great post!

This was an item of focus at my lesson Saturday. Have you noticed how much easier it is to get to your left side when your posture is correct?

This was one of the biggest changes to my game, except I was the opposite. I'm not a super tall man, so I decided to swing very upright. Worked on bending at the waist properly and it changed a lot.
But as long as your are bending from the hips and not rounding out your shoulders it's still good posture! For me it just becomes standing taller, but flatter back in general!
Great post!

This was an item of focus at my lesson Saturday. Have you noticed how much easier it is to get to your left side when your posture is correct?
I don't recall exactly, but based on being in the right stance and posture I would assume that would be a byproduct for sure!

Couldn't agree with the comments here more.

I spent alot of time over the Christmas period with my old man down the driving range videoing my swing, playing it back and adjusting it trying to make it "flatter". Part of getting that swing flatter was training myself to stand taller and getting my wrists pointing downwards more if that makes any sense.

Its made a huge difference to everything in my bag from irons to hybrids to driver. Much happier with my swing now and the time and effort invested seems to be paying off :)

Thanks for sharing Icey. This is something I worked on last year. Taped myself on the range one day and couldn't believe how hunched over I was. Crazy what you don't realize you're doing until you see it on tape. Good posture is really important to hitting consistent shots. I had my best summer golfing last year (although I tailed off at the end) and I owe a lot of it to my improved posture.

Amazing, 5 years later and still working through it!

Definitely agree. I made a significant effort to improve posture and takeaway this year and it has had a direct reflection for the better in my scores.

Back