What's the most most stupid or unlucky thing to happen to you on the course?

Aswish

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I hooked a drive out of bounds. I thought the ball was findable so I ventured out in search. Found the ball! About 10 PM yesterday my right forearm and shins start itching like crazy (perfect area for touching a poisonous plant when bending down to pick up a ball?). This morning I wake up to more itching and little red bumps. I have poison ivy. Don't I feel like a moron. Not the worst thing to happen to me on a course. But it got me thinking. I bet you guys have some great stories like this. We could all use a good laugh!

Back when I was about 12 years old, my cousin and I went to play a round. I was a long hitter even back then, 180-210. My cousin had never in his life hit a ball more than 100 yards...Sure enough, I walk up to my ball about 165 yards past his, next thing I hear is "Dan, look out!!!!!". Sure enough, the ball hits me square in the back of the head............

DL

I hit a great drive for me (240) in a tournament, too bad it was hit in the front of a tree, less than 6 inches away. It was awkward and bogeyed the hole to tie for 3rd.

Had a nice drive, but about 100 yards out the ball met a powerline and said powerline hurled the ball back my way, landing about 20 yards in front of me.

::deep breath::

While this wasn't on an actual course, it is golf related, and I consider it terribly unlucky.

When I was in 1st grade, I was outside hitting plastic golf balls with a friend of mine, who was in 2nd grade. It was my turn. I swung my 7-iron, first making contact with the plastic golf ball, then making crisp contact with his eye, because he just happened to be walking right behind me. You would have thought a murder had happened there, based upon the bloody aftermath. He had numerous operations as I recall, and his mother wanted me (well, my parents) to be responsible for the medical bills. I even had to go sit in front of tape recorders at a police station/FBI and give my story. Oh, the horror of being a first grader.

~18 years later, people still give me grief when I pull out a 7-iron from the bag.

I sliced my drive onto the fairway next to the hole that I was on and in between is lined with some fairly big trees so instead of playing a mid iron like I should have and gone over the trees I pulled my 3 wood and smacked it right into them like an idiot :alien:

I pull hooked a drive once on a par 5 that ran right alongside a street with houses on the far side of the street, the ball hit the brick on the front of one of the houses and bounced back hit the street, bounced high off the street and landed back in the fairway about 30 yards or so behind everyone else in the group. Made a par off the house.

::deep breath::

While this wasn't on an actual course, it is golf related, and I consider it terribly unlucky.

When I was in 1st grade, I was outside hitting plastic golf balls with a friend of mine, who was in 2nd grade. It was my turn. I swung my 7-iron, first making contact with the plastic golf ball, then making crisp contact with his eye, because he just happened to be walking right behind me. You would have thought a murder had happened there, based upon the bloody aftermath. He had numerous operations as I recall, and his mother wanted me (well, my parents) to be responsible for the medical bills. I even had to go sit in front of tape recorders at a police station/FBI and give my story. Oh, the horror of being a first grader.

~18 years later, people still give me grief when I pull out a 7-iron from the bag.

That is a rough one. I have a friend who got hit in the mouth with a driver when she was little. No surgeries, but she still won't go near anything golf related.

Had a nice drive, but about 100 yards out the ball met a powerline and said powerline hurled the ball back my way, landing about 20 yards in front of me.

A lot of times courses will have a local rule for power lines across fairways (if you hit the line, you must re hit with no penalty).

This happened when I first moved down to Florida. Playing golf with my Dad and Tampa, and it was hot as carp. We were on the 6th hole, long Par 5, with woods and a creek running the entire left side of the tee box and hole. I tried to swing out of my shoes, and the driver flew out of my hands in to the wood and creek. We looked for a while, but it was nowhere to be found.

Didn't happen to me, but I was present. My brother had just bought a used driver from the local shop about two weeks before. We get to the 4th tee box, and he steps up and swings away. We hear a funny sound when he makes contact, look up and see the head flying about 30 yards down the fairway. The ball went about 5. The only thing we could do about it was laugh, my brother laughing the hardest. He wasn't too upset as the driver only costhim like $20, but he hasn't purchased a used club from a shop since.

In a high school tournament, I was having an awesome round. The 7th hole has a large, probably 4 ft by 3 ft rock about 5 yards off the green. My 8 iron shot to the green missed...by about 5 yards. My ball hit the rock on an angle and went flying out of bounds. My easy par turned into a 7 and I self destructed.

I hit a perfect drive right down the middle of a wide open fairway, dead perfect int he middle on a long par 4 and although there was no one in the fairway, no carts or anything, we heard a faint 'plunk' sound as it went over the hill, almost sounded like it hit a tree or something. When we got up there my ball was nowhere to be found, we looked all over the fairway then started working the edges and finally found it about 50 yards to the right of the center of the fairway down in some trees. The ball had a red mark on it and I realized then that it had hit a red striped yardage pole sitting in the middle of the fairway and it kicked it to the right and off the fairway. Almost as stupid was the dill weed hacker I was playing with who picked my ball up from the middle of the fairway after hitting his second shot from behind me because he thought 'nobody out here can hit it that far so it must have been a lost ball'. He had raced ahead of me in a cart ( I was walking) and sure enough I was looking all over for the ball when he came over and pulled a ball out of his pocket and said "Is this yours?"

I've got all sorts of stupid, but for a family forum 2 stand out.

Playing a local course, a buddy came along and had to get some rental clubs. A few holes in, he's got to clear a pond on his second shot. Good looking swing, but the ball skitters off sideways. I'm sort of shocked, and then I hear a "sploop".
He's still holding his finish. Unfortunately, he's just holding the grip off the rental iron. Came completely out, flew into the air, and majestically settled to the bottom of the pond. Clubhouse just shrugged and said it happened quite a bit. Nice.

My story was in Sackville, NB years ago. First tee is blind over a small crest. I tee off, dead center. I come over the hill to find...chickens. Many, many chickens and a few cows. A farm next to the fairway had a gate open, and the critters made a break for it. Farm animals don't seem to grasp the ideas of a) giving a golfer some room to swing and b) quiet during the swing. I wound up just trotting over to alert the owners that the inmates had left the asylum and then played on.

I've got a plethora from down in Austin.

Day two of high school state finals on the 15th hole was by far the worst/stupidest thing I've ever done. After day one I was one shot off the lead and our team was leading. I was even on the round, down by one, going into the 15th with a couple possible birdie hole coming in and sprayed my drive a little right into the trees. I had a great line on the ball but none of the people who were following us saw it come down. After a couple minutes of searching my playing competitor said he found it. He knew the ball I was playing, a Titeilst 2 with our school logo on it. When I looked at the ball it was the same type and brand of the ball I was playing and the logo would have been down. Didn't think anything of it and hit a great second shot into the green to about 10 feet with the other player having about 20 feet for his birdie. I knew this was a great opportunity to get the shot back and be tied going into the last three holes. I marked my ball placed it in my towel washed it and put it in my pocket. He missed his putt but was a tap it par so I prepared myself for my putt. As I put the ball down to line it up my heart stopped and about threw up right on the spot. It was NOT my ball! After a couple of very hard swallows I stopped what I was doing and called over my competitor and the official who was with our group and told them I played the wrong ball and would have to go back for a drop or look for my ball. (At that point it didn't matter if I found my original or not) and take a two shot penalty. I only had about another minute to look for my ball and no luck. Went back to the original spot dropped and finished the hole with a double bogey. Three shots down with three to go and I mentally lost it. All in all hitting the wrong ball cost me two places finishing third and with such a great team we managed to win state. I remember this shot/moment like it was yesterday and it happened over 12 years ago. I'm sure if you took me back to that course I could place my ball in the exact spot as i had to play from that day. That's my worst day and hope it wasn't too much to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a passenger in a golf cart when the driver decided to stop paying attention and we flipped over into a ditch. I was even more pi$$ed when I noticed I had a tick on my arm from rolling around in the weeds.

Day two of high school state finals on the 15th hole was by far the worst/stupidest thing I've ever done. After day one I was one shot off the lead and our team was leading. I was even on the round, down by one, going into the 15th with a couple possible birdie hole coming in and sprayed my drive a little right into the trees. I had a great line on the ball but none of the people who were following us saw it come down. After a couple minutes of searching my playing competitor said he found it. He knew the ball I was playing, a Titeilst 2 with our school logo on it. When I looked at the ball it was the same type and brand of the ball I was playing and the logo would have been down. Didn't think anything of it and hit a great second shot into the green to about 10 feet with the other player having about 20 feet for his birdie. I knew this was a great opportunity to get the shot back and be tied going into the last three holes. I marked my ball placed it in my towel washed it and put it in my pocket. He missed his putt but was a tap it par so I prepared myself for my putt. As I put the ball down to line it up my heart stopped and about threw up right on the spot. It was NOT my ball! After a couple of very hard swallows I stopped what I was doing and called over my competitor and the official who was with our group and told them I played the wrong ball and would have to go back for a drop or look for my ball. (At that point it didn't matter if I found my original or not) and take a two shot penalty. I only had about another minute to look for my ball and no luck. Went back to the original spot dropped and finished the hole with a double bogey. Three shots down with three to go and I mentally lost it. All in all hitting the wrong ball cost me two places finishing third and with such a great team we managed to win state. I remember this shot/moment like it was yesterday and it happened over 12 years ago. I'm sure if you took me back to that course I could place my ball in the exact spot as i had to play from that day. That's my worst day and hope it wasn't too much to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ouch man... that was very honorable of you to step up and be honest though. I bet some wouldn't think twice about going ahead and playing on with the ball that wasn't theirs.

I was sitting in my cart as my friend hit once, and his drive went a bit left, hit a tree near the tee box, then smashed into my leg. Hurt a ton.

Many years ago we used to go down to Jekyll Island every summer. The first time I played golf down there, I hit a ball into the undergrowth and it didn't look too bad so I waded into the green plants ranging from 2-7 feet tall. A few feet in, I realized it was a huge mistake. I didn't know about saw palmetto and didn't realize how sharp all those leaves were. When I did make it out of there I was cut from head to toe. It looked like I had come in second in a knife fight. When I walked back into the motel room, my wife wanted to know what in the world happened to me and if all that blood was my blood. I left that ball and every ball since then that has found its way into the palmetto bushes.

I'll add another from my not so lucky round yesterday. Another pull hook off the tee with my old driver (R11 is being repaired). Waded through some bushes looking for my brand new ProV1. When I emerged, I was covered in about 400-500 clingers (I don't know what they are really called. Not thorns or burrs, but they stick to clothes or hair). Still had about 50 on me at the end of the round. This happened on hole 2. It also ruined my Nike coach's sideline shirt. I also hit a 1.5" diameter line pole about five feet in front of me that sent my ball 30 yards the wrong direction. It wasn't my best outing. haha

These stories are funny.

I hit a flagstick and ended up 20 feet off the green. That's bad luck I suppose.

If I didn't have people who could vouch for this I would never even tell this story. I was playing in a high school match at a course that has two side by side holes a short paragraph four down the hill and a three back up. I drove even just short of the green and with no one in front of us I took what I needed to finish the four and club to tee off coming back up the hill to the green and place my bag near the next hole. My tee shot went well right and hit my bag. When we went up to the area where my bag was my ball was no where to be found until I pulled out my wedge and along with it came my ball. The ball had gone in my bag... Needless to say I got a lesson on unplayable lies that day.

Back