Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

I don't know, SW. I really like the dispersion, but then I wonder. It's really a tough thing for me to figure out. At the height of my lessons earlier in the year I was swinging my 7 iron in the 86+ range. Right now I'm around 77. I struggle with the idea of going down a flex because I know I have more speed in me if that makes sense. It's confusing.

Pretty excited that I'll be getting the lie angles adjusted tomorrow. Not sure if that will require some adjustment time or not? Curious to hear what you all have to say about that.

I'm not seeing a lot of misses left with mid irons, but I am hitting towards the heel a lot. I'm not sure how much they'll need adjusted, but the mark is always about 3/4 to 1 inch left of center when I hit off a lie board.

I don't know, SW. I really like the dispersion, but then I wonder. It's really a tough thing for me to figure out. At the height of my lessons earlier in the year I was swinging my 7 iron in the 86+ range. Right now I'm around 77. I struggle with the idea of going down a flex because I know I have more speed in me if that makes sense. It's confusing.

Pretty excited that I'll be getting the lie angles adjusted tomorrow. Not sure if that will require some adjustment time or not? Curious to hear what you all have to say about that.

I'm not seeing a lot of misses left with mid irons, but I am hitting towards the heel a lot. I'm not sure how much they'll need adjusted, but the mark is always about 3/4 to 1 inch left of center when I hit off a lie board.

I know exactly what you mean dude, there is a few moments of doubt with the KBS Tour in mine as well, if only there wasn't so much variation in my swing speeds! It's the perfect shaft for me when I'm on, but there are times you can't help but wonder what if. It's only human nature to do that. However looking back to the first time I swung these until now I quickly realize these are the best irons I've ever played, that gives me the little boost of confidence over the ball that I need.

I'm betting having them bent down a bit will be a great benefit to you and then you'll see that ball flight improve by leaps and bounds.

You're right, SW. Like I said, dispersion is about the best I've ever seen and the distances are very consistent. I'm sure you know what it's like to see the high bombs guys like biggsy and Jrod put up there and wonder if maybe you're leaving something on the table. I'm going to talk to the instructor about it tomorrow. The peak of my swingspeed was a time when I was really loose and I think I just need to let go a bit. I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up consistency and dispersion for distance, but I do wonder if I could tilt the scales a little bit somehow.

Ha, I've already accepted that I'll never hit the ball as high as biggsy or jrod, they're on another level. Distance wise are you finding yourself in a hole?

Ha, I've already accepted that I'll never hit the ball as high as biggsy or jrod, they're on another level. Distance wise are you finding yourself in a hole?

I'll never accept that! Haha.

No, at all. I'm exactly where I've been or a few yards longer than where I've been for a good portion of the season. I was just longer at the start up and want it back. At the same time, if I'm not going to loosen up and gain back that power, am I in the right shaft? Meh. I'd like to trade myself in for a better golfer.

Is anybody else using these for touch shots in the sub 100 range?

I hear ya, it's odd/stupid how we can go into a lesson and be swinging smooth and faster than before yet as soon as you get on the practice tee or course it all goes to pot pretty quickly. No choice but to keep working and being persistent about attaining our goals, it's what I like about golf.

A partial pitching wedge has become a favorite shot as well as using it more for bumps around the greens. It took a little time to get used to the difference between the 588 and 2.0 faces to get a feel for distance control around the green but I'd like to think I've gotten the hang of it now.

Are you think 5.0 or something totally different like a KBS 90?

It is an adjustment at first, Ary. I am lucky to have gone through that last year with the V2's, but I found the same thing in that I hit the 7 iron just as well as I did my old 8 iron, so it was really a wash for me. I also see more distance on the course, but they tell me our range balls are built to be shorter. With your distance, I think you'll be just fine, especially if it comes with tighter dispersion.

I will say that my distances appear to be just a little longer with these compared to the V2's, but they are bent stronger. I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft most of the time. I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with my shaft choice. It's reliable in terms of ball flight, but I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft.

Good thoughts here and I kinda wanted to chime in :) I think maybe you could Hawk but also think these are in the area for you two. Sometimes its just a matter of having the right adjustments on the club head and getting more club on ball. You'll find it broski.

I imagine there was a little adjustment with that. I'm loving a little half swing PW from 75 yards right now. I honestly feel like I can't miss with it. Sadly, getting to 75 yards usually means I screwed up somewhere in my first two shots lol.

Good thoughts here and I kinda wanted to chime in :) I think maybe you could Hawk but also think these are in the area for you two. Sometimes its just a matter of having the right adjustments on the club head and getting more club on ball. You'll find it broski.

Thanks Tmexas. I am extremely curious what will happen when I get that ball on the center more often.

Rusty - did you get the Pxi recommendation from the True Temper shaftfit website? If so, I could hardly not get that recommendation, regardless of what I put in there. It's not advice that I ever listen to, but can you try and get set up on the Mizuno shaft optimizer?

Well, I did get the recommendation there, but I got it from two other sources as well. One thing I did was call up the guy who fit me for my Mizuno clubs last year and asked him to recommend a shaft based on last year's numbers, and just assume my swing hasn't changed much (I don't know if my swing has changed, other than I think it has slowed down a little). He said PXi, and he said he thought the shaft optimizer would say the same thing -- of course he is the guy who fit me for the shafts I'm currently using.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Project X graphites I have now. The weight is great, the feel very smooth, I get good distance, spin, etc., etc.....I just think the ball flies too high. For all I know, its the optimum launch angle for me, but it looks too high.

I'm one that thinks high is too high more often that not as well. Then I play with some other guys and they are much higher than I am, and much longer. I think it's a matter of getting the most out of whatever you are throwing at the ball.

I saw you mention Tour 90's and my initial thought was that they'd be a very high launcher as well.

Well, I did get the recommendation there, but I got it from two other sources as well. One thing I did was call up the guy who fit me for my Mizuno clubs last year and asked him to recommend a shaft based on last year's numbers, and just assume my swing hasn't changed much (I don't know if my swing has changed, other than I think it has slowed down a little). He said PXi, and he said he thought the shaft optimizer would say the same thing -- of course he is the guy who fit me for the shafts I'm currently using.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Project X graphites I have now. The weight is great, the feel very smooth, I get good distance, spin, etc., etc.....I just think the ball flies too high. For all I know, its the optimum launch angle for me, but it looks too high.

If it looks too high it's probably right where it should be haha :) but also, if has to please you visually. I've noticed that more often than not, we as novices want a flight that is too low.

Thanks Tmexas. I am extremely curious what will happen when I get that ball on the center more often.

I think you will see a huge difference! With players irons, missing the sweetspot sometimes may not result in distance loss but that ballflight is hugely impacted.

If it looks too high it's probably right where it should be haha :) but also, if has to please you visually. I've noticed that more often than not, we as novices want a flight that is too low.

I think you will see a huge difference! With players irons, missing the sweetspot sometimes may not result in distance loss but that ballflight is hugely impacted.

I think it may also subliminally alter how I swing the club if that makes sense. I'd agree that the hell shots don't seem much shorter. Hopefully I know soon!

I think it may also subliminally alter how I swing the club if that makes sense. I'd agree that the hell shots don't seem much shorter. Hopefully I know soon!

It sure does Hawk. Makes sense to me and I also know you're going to figure out whatever it is that you need to figure out.

TC, How do you think the PXi shafts compare to the older PX graphite shafts? I'm currently using the latter, and while I like them I think I am hitting my current irons too high. I am working on my swing to lower the ball flight, but that's another issue....I would rather not get another high launching shaft.

The shaft optimizer and online guides are all picking the PXi shafts for me. I really want the KBS Tour 90s, but those are not an OEM option. Maybe I'm stressing over my shaft selection too much....

I have never hit the PX graphite iron shafts Rusty. Chunkylover has though, and he has the PXi's in his i20's. I really don't think the PXi's are overly high launching to be honest. The PXi's are certainly softer than PX steel shafts I've tested in the past so maybe they'd be great for you.

I have never hit the PX graphite iron shafts Rusty. Chunkylover has though, and he has the PXi's in his i20's. I really don't think the PXi's are overly high launching to be honest. The PXi's are certainly softer than PX steel shafts I've tested in the past so maybe they'd be great for you.

I have both but to be honest they are very different flexes. I have the graphite in 5.0 and the PXi in 6.0 softstepped. The PX graphite does launch higher but that could simply be because of flex. I honestly think the PXis could be the perfect balance of almost KBS feel with a fantastic ball flight(I like a higher ball flight) and a perfect weight. Its a great shaft

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Work's been nuts. That's fine. But having a bum leg sucks. I couldn't help it, I decided to stop during my lunch break and test it out. Actually, I just wanted to hit these irons again, plus see how my leg stood up to the golf swing. I must say, I'm glad I stopped. I didn't feel any discomfort and better yet, I don't feel any now. I must say that I sure as hell enjoyed hitting these today. There's something about the sound of these at impact that's super infectious. Very different compared to anything I've hit in the past couple of years for sure.

I'm really excited about having these irons in my bag. They are an extension of my swing and my personality on the golf course. I take a lot of pride in my golf game with my iron play and these really reward my hard work. I find that they pack a mean punch into the golf ball and that too is addictive as hell.

All in all, I'm glad I stopped to hit some balls, even if it was just a small bucket. Cleveland sure has a winner on their hands with these irons. I hope more folks get the chance to give them a whirl.

That's some great news, TC!

That's great to hear dude, I was worried we'd have to put you down. You mentioned the sound and there's something I didn't notice until this past weekend. How similar these sound to the 588 wedges to me. That solid crack which instantly tells you that your hammered the ball, infectious is a great word for it.

Work's been nuts. That's fine. But having a bum leg sucks. I couldn't help it, I decided to stop during my lunch break and test it out. Actually, I just wanted to hit these irons again, plus see how my leg stood up to the golf swing. I must say, I'm glad I stopped. I didn't feel any discomfort and better yet, I don't feel any now. I must say that I sure as hell enjoyed hitting these today. There's something about the sound of these at impact that's super infectious. Very different compared to anything I've hit in the past couple of years for sure.

I'm really excited about having these irons in my bag. They are an extension of my swing and my personality on the golf course. I take a lot of pride in my golf game with my iron play and these really reward my hard work. I find that they pack a mean punch into the golf ball and that too is addictive as hell.

All in all, I'm glad I stopped to hit some balls, even if it was just a small bucket. Cleveland sure has a winner on their hands with these irons. I hope more folks get the chance to give them a whirl.
This is the post I was hoping to see when clicking into this thread! Nice work buddy, glad the bum leg seems to be holding up. These irons are stupid good, I can't lie, if I was in the market for irons these would be on my short list to demo before buying anything.

I'm going to hit up a range for some 588 time and then to my lesson afterwards. Had a little moment last night and I want to see how it translates in real life. Then they get ready to be adjusted. I don't like the idea of leaving them, so hopefully he can bend them before I go home tonight.

Good looking irons.

I'm going to hit up a range for some 588 time and then to my lesson afterwards. Had a little moment last night and I want to see how it translates in real life. Then they get ready to be adjusted. I don't like the idea of leaving them, so hopefully he can bend them before I go home tonight.
I know that feeling lol, I hate leaving my clubs anywhere that im not present. No clue what goes on when you are not around.

Funny, I was just reading GOLF Magazine's reviews of irons and they seem to put a large gap between these and the i20's in forgiveness. Said there were very noticeable losses in distance on mishits... ???

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

They did say they weren't bad directionally though.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Back