New Garmin S2 GPS watch

Speedliner

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen one ad for Pre-order. Anyone familiar with it and the differences between it and the S1 and S2. It's priced in between.

This is on the website, but doesn't say much. Looks like green layout is the biggest delta from the S3.

I think a THP review of the entire line is warranted.

you're correct, the site doesn't say too much though Amazon.com gave this description.....yardages to dogleg, layup yardages, front, middle, and back of greens. Sounds like a much better version of the G1.

doc

It is being billed as an upgrade to the S1. Looks like the upgrade is a GPS watch that does dogleg and layup distances as well as front/middle/back and is controlled by buttons (like the S1). The S3 also does dogleg and layup distances and front/middle/back but is more expensive because it utilizes a touch screen interface instead of buttons.

Cool thread. I have the S1 and am loving it, I have never owned any GPS device of any sort.

looking for more info and opinions on the s2 so far from what i have seen and read it looks good...

I received the Garmin S2 watch for Father's Day, maybe played 5 rounds with it. It has been very accurate and easy to use. Show up at the course hit the course mode & within seconds it finds the course you are playing. Download takes less than a minute - you are good to go! I also have a Skycaddie SGXw - tested the S2 to the SGXw and it displayed the same yardage. The S2 is so much easier. Took me a while to understand the layup data but no big deal. It's a large watch but there again it's a GPS. Although I haven't experienced it but I have read the battery life is short in the GPS mode. No problem so far but I don't think the battery will hold up for two rounds. Switches between functions easily and initial set up was simple. It's very lite so you don't notice the watch until you need a reading. There are other functions but never try them .....

I am very happy with the S2. All friends are in awe with it.....several others have noticed it in & around the pro shop. I would buy the same watch again without a second thought.

I received the Garmin S2 watch for Father's Day, maybe played 5 rounds with it. It has been very accurate and easy to use. Show up at the course hit the course mode & within seconds it finds the course you are playing. Download takes less than a minute - you are good to go! I also have a Skycaddie SGXw - tested the S2 to the SGXw and it displayed the same yardage. The S2 is so much easier. Took me a while to understand the layup data but no big deal. It's a large watch but there again it's a GPS. Although I haven't experienced it but I have read the battery life is short in the GPS mode. No problem so far but I don't think the battery will hold up for two rounds. Switches between functions easily and initial set up was simple. It's very lite so you don't notice the watch until you need a reading. There are other functions but never try them .....

I am very happy with the S2. All friends are in awe with it.....several others have noticed it in & around the pro shop. I would buy the same watch again without a second thought.

That's a great praise for it right there. Says a bunch that you'd buy the same one again. Kudos to your wife on a great gift.

After that glowing review, Klee, I decided to pull the trigger on the Garmin S2. I have never used a GPS device on the course but have played with guys that have used both laser rangefinders and handheld units. 2 weeks ago a buddy shows up for our round with a SkyCaddy GPS watch. I couldn't believe how quickly and accurately he had yardage info so I decided to look into the watch option. I ruled out SkyCaddy because of the annual subscription and decided on a Garmin based on the review here. I didn't think that I would like the touchscreen or need the hole view that the S3 offered and the additional $100 was hard to justify so S2 it is. Played my first round with it today and went to another course for an additional 9 holes. Set up was incredibly easy - plugged it into my laptop last night to charge the battery and the only thing I had to do was pick a language. Charging was quick - less than 2 hours for a full charge, however there may have been some battery life from the factory. I arrived at the course, which has 3 different 9's and went to my starting tee. Hit one button to start the GPS function and another to select the course I was playing. The watch did the rest. It knew which 9 I was on and the functionality was amazing. One button to get to my layup distances and yardage was spot on. After our round, I realized I had enough time to swing by my home course and squeeze in an additional 9 holes. There was no issue playing a second course in a day like I have heard about other GPS watches, and battery life was still solid. Although I can't confirm that I would have gotten through an entire second round, it appeared to have enough juice. I didn't use it for much more than yardage to the green, so possibly using it to keep score or changing screens for layup/dogleg distances may affect battery life. The one thing I was concerned with initially was comfort. I always take off my watch to play, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I found this to be so lightweight and comfortable that I never noticed it in my swing. It was a warm day so a little sweat under the band but the band is perforated so it did allow airflow and seemed to dry quickly. Not only would I highly recommend this watch to anyone in the market, I would also consider buying the exact same watch in the future.

After that glowing review, Klee, I decided to pull the trigger on the Garmin S2. I have never used a GPS device on the course but have played with guys that have used both laser rangefinders and handheld units. 2 weeks ago a buddy shows up for our round with a SkyCaddy GPS watch. I couldn't believe how quickly and accurately he had yardage info so I decided to look into the watch option. I ruled out SkyCaddy because of the annual subscription and decided on a Garmin based on the review here. I didn't think that I would like the touchscreen or need the hole view that the S3 offered and the additional $100 was hard to justify so S2 it is. Played my first round with it today and went to another course for an additional 9 holes. Set up was incredibly easy - plugged it into my laptop last night to charge the battery and the only thing I had to do was pick a language. Charging was quick - less than 2 hours for a full charge, however there may have been some battery life from the factory. I arrived at the course, which has 3 different 9's and went to my starting tee. Hit one button to start the GPS function and another to select the course I was playing. The watch did the rest. It knew which 9 I was on and the functionality was amazing. One button to get to my layup distances and yardage was spot on. After our round, I realized I had enough time to swing by my home course and squeeze in an additional 9 holes. There was no issue playing a second course in a day like I have heard about other GPS watches, and battery life was still solid. Although I can't confirm that I would have gotten through an entire second round, it appeared to have enough juice. I didn't use it for much more than yardage to the green, so possibly using it to keep score or changing screens for layup/dogleg distances may affect battery life. The one thing I was concerned with initially was comfort. I always take off my watch to play, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I found this to be so lightweight and comfortable that I never noticed it in my swing. It was a warm day so a little sweat under the band but the band is perforated so it did allow airflow and seemed to dry quickly. Not only would I highly recommend this watch to anyone in the market, I would also consider buying the exact same watch in the future.

Thanks for a very solid review. I know what I'll be telling Santa I want him to bring me...

Back