Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want an iphone. quad core plz

Picked up a Boxee Box today. I wanted a new media hub and this one is the only one I could find that had the web browser without going overboard. So far I really like it.

Picked up a Boxee Box today. I wanted a new media hub and this one is the only one I could find that had the web browser without going overboard. So far I really like it.
I have been going back and forth with wanting to buy a Boxee or going with one of the new "Smart TVs" that have the web/media apps built in. I like the Boxee, havent really read much negative review of it, but know that if I do that, it will be time for a new TV and I will upgrade to a TV with similar options.

Not too familiar with that. Is it similar to the roku?

I have been going back and forth with wanting to buy a Boxee or going with one of the new "Smart TVs" that have the web/media apps built in. I like the Boxee, havent really read much negative review of it, but know that if I do that, it will be time for a new TV and I will upgrade to a TV with similar options.

Ironically we have one. We also have a Blu-Ray that has all of that built in. But none of them work as well as the Boxee from what we researched and its showing now. We always had the ability to pull content from online stores such as Netflix, Vudu and Amazon, but the Boxee does so much more for us. Pulling from all of our local media. 300 or something channels. But the kicker for us over a Roku was the ability to play so many different formats. Roku can only play MP4 it seems from local stuff and I have a lot of content in other formats. Plus it had the web browser and the Roku did not.

Not too familiar with that. Is it similar to the roku?

Similar. See above. Both good devices.

Sounds like a pretty good device. I know I stream from my bluray player on one tv and a roku on another.

Ironically we have one. We also have a Blu-Ray that has all of that built in. But none of them work as well as the Boxee from what we researched and its showing now. We always had the ability to pull content from online stores such as Netflix, Vudu and Amazon, but the Boxee does so much more for us. Pulling from all of our local media. 300 or something channels. But the kicker for us over a Roku was the ability to play so many different formats. Roku can only play MP4 it seems from local stuff and I have a lot of content in other formats. Plus it had the web browser and the Roku did not.

Similar. See above. Both good devices.

Interesting. So pulling from your local media, does that basically give you an "On Demand" type of thing for channels that don't usually have such great on demand services. Or did I read that wrong?

Sounds like a pretty good device. I know I stream from my bluray player on one tv and a roku on another.

That is kind of the way we will have it setup now. We have the 52" 3D set in one room and that has the Boxee. It is also a smart TV if we need something we cannot get. Then we have the 46" Plasma set in the bedroom that has the Blu Ray that has internet capabilities on the other. Then somewhere we will have to house the 110" project and that will just have a DVR I am guessing. Although we could do a Boxee repeater possibly.

Interesting. So pulling from your local media, does that basically give you an "On Demand" type of thing for channels that don't usually have such great on demand services. Or did I read that wrong?

I meant local media as in what we have stored on our computers or external drives.

I meant local media as in what we have stored on our computers or external drives.

Gotcha. I definitely read that wrong.

Some major issues with my Galaxy S3 War. I might take this one back to Best Buy for another one but first I'm going to read up on the nerd site and see if these are known issues or just mine.

Some major issues with my Galaxy S3 War. I might take this one back to Best Buy for another one but first I'm going to read up on the nerd site and see if these are known issues or just mine.

What seems to be the problem?

Uh oh that doesn't sound good

Ruh roh

What seems to be the problem?

Data connection is very spotty and battery life sucks so far but that's not what bugged me. Turned on the google maps and switched it over to the the directions or gps part to see how it worked. Gps connected super fast but the little blue arrow thing would get stuck instead of moving along as I drove. Then after a while it would jump up to my current position. Reloaded google maps that didn't work. It works but doesn't work how it supposed to.

Data connection is very spotty and battery life sucks so far but that's not what bugged me. Turned on the google maps and switched it over to the the directions or gps part to see how it worked. Gps connected super fast but the little blue arrow thing would get stuck instead of moving along as I drove. Then after a while it would jump up to my current position. Reloaded google maps that didn't work. It works but doesn't work how it supposed to.
Damn...that sucks. I hadnt read much about people having issues with data connection, but I have read mostly about the S3 on Verizon, not AT&T. Thought the battery life was doing alright?

How the heck do you guys switch phones like this without paying penalties?

Damn...that sucks. I hadnt read much about people having issues with data connection, but I have read mostly about the S3 on Verizon, not AT&T. Thought the battery life was doing alright?

It's been ok but I'd say it's worse then the One X so far. I keep seeing Edge which I haven't seen in forever. And gps is definitely got issues at least on mine.

Kmac...that may be a problem with the GPS app. Mine does the same damn thing, and it hasn't always been like that. It used to work amazing but after a few updates it's gone to hell. Sometimes it just stays on "searching" forever, sometimes I get the same problem you do, sometimes it works.

It's been ok but I'd say it's worse then the One X so far. I keep seeing Edge which I haven't seen in forever. And gps is definitely got issues at least on mine.
I remember you were saying that you were having issues with dropping to Edge the other day. That sucks. Battery life is struggling probably because you keep searching for a 4G signal to get off the edge.

Valid question
For me, it a couple different ways; Looking around on Craigslist for someone selling something cheap or friends that work in IT that can hook me up.

For me, it a couple different ways; Looking around on Craigslist for someone selling something cheap or friends that work in IT that can hook me up.

I gave up doing that. I kept being on the negative equity side of things. Actually contemplating going down to a normal phone with no data. Our bill is ridiculous withy the family plan and all that data. Even with my work 21% discount

Kmac...that may be a problem with the GPS app. Mine does the same damn thing, and it hasn't always been like that. It used to work amazing but after a few updates it's gone to hell. Sometimes it just stays on "searching" forever, sometimes I get the same problem you do, sometimes it works.

What phone do you have? Seeing as this is a brand new S3 it shouldn't have any issues.

What phone do you have? Seeing as this is a brand new S3 it shouldn't have any issues.

Sorry, Droid2. Not the same phone but I have the same issue with the GPS. And mine worked fine at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back