Swing Weight, Shaft Length and the Secert Grip

Dansby

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a TM 07 Burner driver and I am thinking about adding the Secert Grip (it is free at Dicks) and I am also thinking about shortening my shaft down to 44.5. I have read that shortening the shaft will reduce the swing weight (my understanding is that it is at D4 currently) as well as adding the secert grip would also reduce the swing rate. My driver swing speed is 96-99 and I have the stock 50 g stiff shaft in it currently.

What are your thoughts on this? I am pretty sure, from what I have read, that I would bennifit from cutting down the shaft, not sure about the secert grip, I was going to try it because it is free and i will need a new grip once I cut down the shaft. Should I bag the SG and go with a light weight grip to help bring back the swing weight? If so any suggestions on a grip. Should I look at adding lead tape ect?

I have a TM 07 Burner driver and I am thinking about adding the Secert Grip (it is free at Dicks) and I am also thinking about shortening my shaft down to 44.5. I have read that shortening the shaft will reduce the swing weight (my understanding is that it is at D4 currently) as well as adding the secert grip would also reduce the swing rate. My driver swing speed is 96-99 and I have the stock 50 g stiff shaft in it currently.

What are your thoughts on this? I am pretty sure, from what I have read, that I would bennifit from cutting down the shaft, not sure about the secert grip, I was going to try it because it is free and i will need a new grip once I cut down the shaft. Should I bag the SG and go with a light weight grip to help bring back the swing weight? If so any suggestions on a grip. Should I look at adding lead tape ect?

First, have you ever played a 44.5" driver? There is a dramatic difference both in swing weight and shaft characteristics when you shave that much off. Your driver at stock length is 46" I believe? That 1.5" so you're going to lose 9 swing weight points off the bat. Couple that with a secret grip with 17 gram tungsten back-weighting and you're going to drop a few more points. Let's just say all-toll you lose 14 points. Your current swing weight is D4, that's going to drop you to C0. C0 is very light and you're going to feel like your "fanning" at the ball a bit. Flex really won't change a lot but wherever your flex point is, your going to move it closer to your hands and CPM will change slightly as well.

I have no reservations in saying you will benefit from a shorter shaft accuracy-wise but there are trade-offs in the process. I think you should take baby steps toward shortening the length. Let's start with 45.25" (half way) and measure the results. You can go ahead and try the grip, no harm in that really (I'm curious about them as well). Then add a couple of strips of tape 6-8 grams should do it...

First, have you ever played a 44.5" driver? There is a dramatic difference both in swing weight and shaft characteristics when you shave that much off. Your driver at stock length is 46" I believe? That 1.5" so you're going to lose 9 swing weight points off the bat. Couple that with a secret grip with 17 gram tungsten back-weighting and you're going to drop a few more points. Let's just say all-toll you lose 14 points. Your current swing weight is D4, that's going to drop you to C0. C0 is very light and you're going to feel like your "fanning" at the ball a bit. Flex really won't change a lot but wherever your flex point is, your going to move it closer to your hands and CPM will change slightly as well.

I have no reservations in saying you will benefit from a shorter shaft accuracy-wise but there are trade-offs in the process. I think you should take baby steps toward shortening the length. Let's start with 45.25" (half way) and measure the results. You can go ahead and try the grip, no harm in that really (I'm curious about them as well). Then add a couple of strips of tape 6-8 grams should do it...

Have you ever hit anything from Boccieri, clubs or the secret grip? Because although the swing weights are low, the clubs are very easy to feel throughout the swing. That high balance point does make a huge difference. I would recommend at least trying the free grip. It's free. No risk.

Thanks for the info guys. I was going with 44.5 based on what I have read about that is the length most pros are using. I think you maybe be right about taking baby steps and go with 45. If I just add the secert grip wouldn't I also need to add tape since adding weight to the butt of the club is going to make the swing weight lighter?

Thanks for the info guys. I was going with 44.5 based on what I have read about that is the length most pros are using. I think you maybe be right about taking baby steps and go with 45. If I just add the secert grip wouldn't I also need to add tape since adding weight to the butt of the club is going to make the swing weight lighter?

I'd get fit and find out your optimal length and not worry about what the pro's are playing. Just shooting blanks without being measured/fit. I also would worry about swing weight. Most people can't the difference between a point or two. Never be afraid to experiment though, anything changed can be changed back quickly with not all that much money.

I'd get fit and find out your optimal length and not worry about what the pro's are playing. Just shooting blanks without being measured/fit. I also would worry about swing weight. Most people can't the difference between a point or two. Never be afraid to experiment though, anything changed can be changed back quickly with not all that much money.

I agree 100%. Changing can be good if it helps your game, but changing because you saw tour pros playing a certain length is a bad move. They have swing speeds past 110 and are on a different plane when it come to clubs. Getting fit would be the best for a long term answer for driver woes you may be having or just looking to sure things up.

When you add secret grip you can pretty much ignore the swingweight at that point. While I like the idea of the secret grip I have found there is no one exact weight that be just right. Honestly you can do the same thing by going thru using the 3gen Wedge grip and purchasing Tour Lock Pro backweights. I have used the Tour Lock in the past and found 25-30 gram backweight fit me but I play my driver around 44.5 inches. Backweighting changes the balance of the club and the length and weight of a club will require different backweights to produce the same results. Again not knocking the Secret Grip and actually going to go get my free grip from Dicks and install it on my driver and give it a whirl.

Thanks again for the input. My reference to the pros was just to say if they do not see the benefits of a 46" shaft with their groved swings then I am not sure I will ever get there. Just looking to get more center hits as my miss seems to be heel shots. I have a 07 burnner and maybe looking to upgrade this summer so I do not want to put much money into a fitting for it right now. Just from reading sounds like allot of folks are saying todays drivers are to long and one could benefit with accuarcy and more center hits with a reduction in shaft. I am not even sure I should mess with the SG now but since I will need a new shaft I thought I might do both at the same time.

Deafninja, did you add back any head weight when you cut down your shaft or did you order it that way?

I build my club so built it to 44.5. Go to the secret grip website you can get a free grip installed at dicks or golf galaxy on a driver or 7 iron. Why not just try it on you driver as is first? As for cutting down you do need to add weight Golf Galaxy and Golf works has tungsten rubber weight and 1 is 1 swingweight point. I really would say got to a fitter as once you cut it down you can't go back as easy.

I have that same driver and had it cut down to 44.5" several years ago and had it counterweighted also but did add some weight to the head( not sure how much) to raise the swingweight to I think D0. It works great and put it back in my bag at the end of last year. I seem to change out drivers (the other one is the original TM superfast) every so often. They both work very well when I am swinging good. I do choke up about an inch when playing the superfast though. I would say go for it on both counts, you might try marking the grip at 44.5" and adding some weight to the grip end with lead tape and hit some balls with it first if you are apprehensive about it though.

Keep us informed on how it works out for you.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that Jack Nicklaus played all his clubs counterweighted and used a 42.5" driver when he first turned pro. Just something to ponder.

Back