Suggestions on Inexpensive Driver and Hybrids....Help Please.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

I just finished putting together my irons and shafts and now am thinking about a Driver and some hybrids to add to it. I've never hit one of the new HUGE drivers, nor have I ever hit a hybrid.

I would like to get the 3,4 and 5 iron replacement Hybrids as well as a 10.5 degree driver. Problem is I am on a tight budget and must watch what I spend on hobbies. I don't mind building them myself, I've done that several times in the past with good results. I just don't know what hybrid and Driver heads are good and would give me distance and forgiveness and which ones would give me much less.

I think it would be kinda neat to try one of those new adjustable drivers. I think Golfsmith and Golfworks are now selling the heads that allow users to make them. Is that true?

Would it be cheaper to pick up some used hybrids and a driver or buy the heads and build them? I've seen lots of heads for pretty good prices on EBay, but I don't know anything about them. I don't want to buy something that might very well end up being useless for me or for my skill level.

If you were to suggest some used hybrids and a driver, what would you say would be good picks that would offer performance at a low cost?

If you were going to BUILD yourself or your DAD a Driver and some hybrids in 3,4 and 5, what brand of heads would you choose and why? Are there other low priced driver and hybrid heads that I should check out other than Golfsmith and Golfworks, if so which ones?

Thanks for the info and help.

Nalajr

If cheap is the word, there are plenty of used or last year model drivers for under $150. I just picked up my driver used for $79. They are definitely out there, you just have to hit them to make sure you're not wasting your money. I love my a12 hybrids as well and they can be had new for around $80

Look for a Adams speed line and xtd hybrid. Best clubs and older Adams can be found super cheap.

PGA SS is having a sale on the Nike VR_S line. Drivers are $110 & hybrids are $80.

If you are going to build yourself, I would suggest checking Hireko - very nice low cost heads. You can choose one that looks good to the eye. Honestly any clubs made in the past few years that you would find on Ebay are all good quality. The question just becomes how well the head and shaft fit you.

Hey all,

I just finished putting together my irons and shafts and now am thinking about a Driver and some hybrids to add to it. I've never hit one of the new HUGE drivers, nor have I ever hit a hybrid.

I would like to get the 3,4 and 5 iron replacement Hybrids as well as a 10.5 degree driver. Problem is I am on a tight budget and must watch what I spend on hobbies. I don't mind building them myself, I've done that several times in the past with good results. I just don't know what hybrid and Driver heads are good and would give me distance and forgiveness and which ones would give me much less.

I think it would be kinda neat to try one of those new adjustable drivers. I think Golfsmith and Golfworks are now selling the heads that allow users to make them. Is that true?

Would it be cheaper to pick up some used hybrids and a driver or buy the heads and build them? I've seen lots of heads for pretty good prices on EBay, but I don't know anything about them. I don't want to buy something that might very well end up being useless for me or for my skill level.

If you were to suggest some used hybrids and a driver, what would you say would be good picks that would offer performance at a low cost?

If you were going to BUILD yourself or your DAD a Driver and some hybrids in 3,4 and 5, what brand of heads would you choose and why? Are there other low priced driver and hybrid heads that I should check out other than Golfsmith and Golfworks, if so which ones?

Thanks for the info and help.

Nalajr

Something from a previous year that fits you well.

THPing on Tapatalk

The Callaway lines from years back are really solid and dirt cheap right now.

Cleveland Mashie hybrids can be had pretty cheap new, like under $60 I think. It's a steal really.

Driver: Callaway Razr X Black! Best surprise I have ever stumbled on and the price is right. Check it out on Callaway Pre-owned Golf.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/drivers-razr-x-black/drivers-razr-x-black,default,pd.html

Ole Gray: I've owned the X Black as well as the Octane and I actually think the Octane is better, particularly in IMIX. The Octane has a slightly deeper face. With IMIX you can easily find a shaft that works (pretty darn good with a Proforce V2).

I would second this. You should be able to find some smoking deals on 2-3 year old Callaway clubs. They are also very, very good clubs.

IMO best bang for the buck hybrids are easily Cleveland mashies.
They can be found for under $50 each. I recently purchased 3 of them from a fellow THPer for $100 and I love them so far.
I don't think you could even build them for that price.

If you're not interested in getting fitted, go pick up some cleveland mashies for the hybrids. Seems there is a sale on them all the time on the internet. Check out the deal of the day thread. For a driver, just depends on what you consider in your budget. You can usually get a nice cleveland classic for cheap online. Callaway also has some very nice older models.

With all the clubs on the internet, for great prices, i'd stay away from building my own clubs.

Depends on what your miss is, especially with the hybrids. If your miss is left, DO NOT get the Mashies. If your miss is right, the Mashies will treat you very well. For the price they go for new or on eBay, you couldnt build them any cheaper. I've seen them go as low as the $40 range in good condition.

For driver, if you dont hit the ball very high, checkout the TM SuperTri. They should only cost $60 or so, and should give you the adjustability and have plenty of forgiveness for you. I love my SuperTri and bring it out of the backup bag pretty often.

Definitely check out Callawaygolfpreowned.com, like several have said, great buys and great service.

I would look at the Adams v3 hybrids and the Razr Hawk driver.

You can still get new Nickent 4DX adjustable drivers for less than $100. Its an older model but plays better than some of the brand new ones out there right now.

Back