Do you hit the ball high enough?

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Ive been disappointed with what has been defined as "hitting it too high" on the internet lately.. IMO people seeing Tiger's stinger flight and thinking it's ideal.

If you could watch this video, and answer this question: Do you hit the ball high enough? I sure as heck dont.

Boo. Can't be viewed on mobile. I'll see if I can find a version that is viewable.

I'll say that lately I've seen more people embracing the high ball on the internet than I remember in the past. My answer is - sometimes. It's definitely improved in the last 6-7 months.

I hit my irons and wedges high but not so much my driver, having said that I haven't seen the video yet ill look when I get to my laptop and see if I have the same opinion.

I do not. I wish I did. Ball flight is my biggest struggle in the game, especially on the tee. I hit the ball quite well, and get great distance, but just on a line drive tee ball. Give me a higher launch!

Mid-high iron flight, low-mid wood flight. I like it like that.

I guess I think it's just relevant to what kind of ball speed you are getting. Do I hit it high enough for my game? A lot of the time, yes. I know with some clubs I launch it too high and it robs me of distance, similar with some I don't(like my 3 wood) and it does the same. I will most likely never hit it as high as those guys do, but I will also never come close to touching their ball speed either.

I absolutely hit the ball high enough. Too high, actually. This year, I intend to make the necessary swing modifications to learn to play a knockdown game for the wind, but I don't really intend to change all that much.

I love my flight, with the exception of windy conditions. I get throttled by wind.

Most of those are off a tee, mid iron Par 3's I'm guessing. I'd say I have a ball height.

I absolutely hit the ball high enough. Too high, actually. This year, I intend to make the necessary swing modifications to learn to play a knockdown game for the wind, but I don't really intend to change all that much.

I love my flight, with the exception of windy conditions. I get throttled by wind.

This is me too. I'm probably playing the wrong shafts in my irons but it is what it is. I don't mind it. My lower hitting friends marvel at the height I'm getting. I am incapable of hitting a low shot with a full swing. I gotta take extra club or two and take a 3/4 or 1/2 swing to accomplish it.

Hybrids, irons, wedges - I am all happy with. The ball flight I get from these clubs is ideal and I have no issues at all here.

Up until very recently (like last week), I would have said I was not happy with the ball flight I get from my driver. However - I swapped the RIP'd NV stock shaft in my Razr Fit for an Aldila NVS65 Stiff shaft which I got off ebay dirt cheap and the difference is like night and day. Towering ball flight compared to the RIP'd NV, which is more what I am looking for.

Iron off a tee? I'm happy with the height I see, but it isn't comparable to these guys hitting. I just don't swing fast enough to get that sort of spin / height.
With my swing and clubs, I'm pretty much unable to flight the ball low. As long as I don't think it's ballooning and wandering all over the lot, I'm good with it.

Mid-high iron flight, low-mid wood flight. I like it like that.

I'm not saying you do or do not. But our (amateurs) understanding of "high" and "mid" ball flights are not as accurate as we would like to think.

We think we are hitting the ball high, in reality, we are not.

I went with the Nippons because they are higher launching. Its amazing what the launch monitors and simulators are telling me. My iron flights have improved greatly. Without sacrificing ball speed or distance. In actuality, increasing them.

I don't hit it high like I use to. I suppose that goes down like other things do when getting old :act-up:

I've always had a low iron flight and am actually working on trying to get it higher.

I felt like a real idiot when I saw good golfers hitting the ball high and I'd spent the last few months trying to make my already low-ish ball go lower. Doh.

I felt like a real idiot when I saw good golfers hitting the ball high and I'd spent the last few months trying to make my already low-ish ball go lower. Doh.
I hit on the Launch Monitor in Orlando... my launch registered at 0.0

I know I don't, and really wish I could hit it higher in a lot of occasions!!!

I won the Ray Guy award, for hang time, at my course after getting the Altitudes. J/K. They do go high.

I definitely DO NOT get the height i'd like with my woods (driver especially) which Is why I'm pondering the 13.5* Callaway Xhot or Razr Extreme driver head to help with that a bit. Iron's are acceptible, but could probably gain a little by getting the ball a bit higher there as well.

I don't hit it high like I use to. I suppose that goes down like other things do when getting old :act-up:

They have medicine for that. :D

I have definitely increased my height with my irons this past offseason and so far I am enjoying it. I have always liked my driver launch angle so that hasn't changed and its pretty ideal for me and my game.

I've been told that I hit my irons a little high, right around 21* launch angle with a 6 iron...true or false? I know they stop on the greens which is nice. I've heard that the ideal launch at my SS (80-85mph 6i) is a couple degrees lower. Had a couple ridiculous ones over 25* when I was testing out Mizuno's JPX 825 Pro's.

To answer the original question though, I'm pretty confident I hit it high enough.

Back