Do you hit the ball high enough?

I genuinely think many dont know what too high is, I was one for a long while.

A lot of people think they hit the ball "really high". But are not as up as they think.

A lot of people think they hit the ball "really high". But are not as up as they think.

It is interesting though that we can see ballooning but have ball flight no where near the pros. Again a different issue but interesting because I think it's related.

If the average Joe blow (including me) saw ballooning at what would be considered a mid ball flight to tour players what would their most likely Natural reaction be? Probably "I'm hitting it to high"

I think that has a lot to do with it, that and possibly the "yea but those guys are professionals name one thing we do that they do"

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

It is interesting though that we can see ballooning but have ball flight no where near the pros. Again a different issue but interesting because I think it's related.

If the average Joe blow (including me) saw ballooning at what would be considered a mid ball flight to tour players what would their most likely Natural reaction be? Probably "I'm hitting it to high"

I think that has a lot to do with it, that and possibly the "yea but those guys are professionals name one thing we do that they do"

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

But I will also add that not enough amateurs know what "ballooning" is. I won't assume how or why

True. I know looking at it I probably don't hit it as high as I use to think.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I found this on the trackman site. Its from 2010 but I doubt its too much different now. http://trackman.dk/getmedia/e388effb-0686-425b-9824-650d2e123c6e/January-2010.aspx

averages_zps75267620.jpg

They noted in the document that the ideal peak height for EVERY club was 30yds the clubs just reach it at different distances. I know that after looking at my recent LM numbers I sure dont hit the ball high enough.

One of my sons uses a high launch shaft and the other uses a low launch. It was hilarious to see my son visiting use his brothers driver and irons. I think he hit the ball 200 yards into the sky. We didn't think it would ever come down. It was quite a comical round that day.

I think I hit the ball pretty high but definitely not too high. I don't struggle with the elevated greens and fairways like a lot of the ladies I play with so it's definitely an advantage for me.

I found this on the trackman site. Its from 2010 but I doubt its too much different now. http://trackman.dk/getmedia/e388effb-0686-425b-9824-650d2e123c6e/January-2010.aspx

averages_zps75267620.jpg

They noted in the document that the ideal peak height for EVERY club was 30yds the clubs just reach it at different distances. I know that after looking at my recent LM numbers I sure dont hit the ball high enough.

I would kill for those iron launch angles.. I've got the driver down, but am well over that average for my irons.. That would be awesome to have them!!

If the ball checks once it hits the green, you've done what you needed to do. Too much talk about hitting it high. Most don't even hit square on the face, play the wrong loft, wrong flex. Hitting high is the last thing most should be worried about.

If the ball checks once it hits the green, you've done what you needed to do. Too much talk about hitting it high. Most don't even hit square on the face, play the wrong loft, wrong flex. Hitting high is the last thing most should be worried about.

Loft and flex play into height. If you have a loft too low and a flex too stiff you won't hit it high enough and won't get much carry.

With my driver, I like my flight (especially with my new Covert). But with my irons, on my home course, I wish I hit them higher. I have a lot of holes where hitting over tall trees is pretty common (necessary on 3 holes, likely without a perfect tee shot on 4-5 more), and I often fail to get it over. When no trees in the way I like my consistent flight, but I do wish it were higher. My ball striking has improved dramatically since I went from a sweeper to a digger, but now hit a lot lower.

Loft and flex play into height. If you have a loft too low and a flex too stiff you won't hit it high enough and won't get much carry.

Yes they do just as angle of attack, club head speed, weight transfer.....there are a great of factors that go into a high trajectory

haha, I suppose it depends how windy it is!!

I got the JRod moonball. Height is never the issue, just direction!

I don't hit it high like I use to. I suppose that goes down like other things do when getting old :act-up:

I guess I'm kinda like OG, I just don't get it up there like I used to.
bth_nononosmiley-1.gif

I'm going to say yes I hit it high enough.

I got the JRod moonball. Height is never the issue, just direction!

Nobody can hit a moonball on demand like you. 70 foot tree that's 20 yards in front of you? No problemo!

hahaha. It is a great shot to have in the bag.

I can't believe the average amateur has enough velocity on the ball to hit it really high without ballooning, at least I can't. That's the reason I switched out my old R9/Miyazaki, lower ball flight got me more distance.

averages_zps75267620.jpg

Thank you for posting this up! Any idea what "Smash Factor" is?...is this ball compression?

I have a very high ball flight. I actually prefer that as it helps my ball check on the green. Even my 3w and driver set at 9.75 have a high ball flight. I might be borderline ballooning which is causing me distance.

averages_zps75267620.jpg

Anyone else think these numbers are off? From the video they look like towering shots. My 6i is ~38yds in peak height, and mine doesn't look any higher then what was represented in the video.

What's impressive is that they hit all the clubs the same height. I know that's the goal, but my 3W, hybrids, 3 and 4 iron are so much lower then my other clubs. My 3W peak height doesn't touch 30yds, and my 3/4 iron flirt around 30-31 yds.

Anyone else think these numbers are off? From the video they look like towering shots. My 6i is ~38yds in peak height, and mine doesn't look any higher then what was represented in the video.

What's impressive is that they hit all the clubs the same height. I know that's the goal, but my 3W, hybrids, 3 and 4 iron are so much lower then my other clubs. My 3W peak height doesn't touch 30yds, and my 3/4 iron flirt around 30-31 yds.

Exactly. We do not hit that ball as high as tour pros do. Which is fine. Their swings garner those results. But as amateurs, it seems like we strive for lower ball flights. We should be going the other way, at least in my opinion. And definitely with irons, I would rather take a higher flight with more carry. I can always working on flighting the ball down. It is much higher to flight the ball up.

And no, they are not off. Camera angles might be the reason for some of those flights in the video.

Exactly. We do not hit that ball as high as tour pros do. Which is fine. Their swings garner those results. But as amateurs, it seems like we strive for lower ball flights. We should be going the other way, at least in my opinion. And definitely with irons, I would rather take a higher flight with more carry. I can always working on flighting the ball down. It is much higher to flight the ball up.

And no, they are not off. Camera angles might be the reason for some of those flights in the video.
Then I find it hard to believe I hit the ball that much higher with my scoring irons. Then again my spin numbers are nowhere near as high with my XHP setup. Oh well, I'm not a pro anyway. I'll stop worrying about there data and rack my brain over my own numbers.

Back