TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

My previous wedges were 48, 52, 56, 60, yardages 140-145, 120-125 (what I was expecting from the AW if not a bit more as it is 50*), 105 (about what the AW is going) and variable on the 60* as I do that one by feel.

I read and commented on your TM Lab fitting. Now I put two and two together. So here's the question of the day. Did you like the R11 irons that much better than the RBZ irons? What did you like about the R11 irons over the RBZ? I appreciate any feedback you can give. I might be going down the road away from the RBZ and toward the R11 after hitting in the PGA Superstore last week. Just looking for your feedback since you have hit both more than me.
Thanks.

Sure man. Here's my take on it. I didn't dislike the RBZ heads at all. I really didn't like the stock shafts they came with. At 85 grams, they just didn't do anything for me. I had to try and dial my swing back a ton to be consistent, something I'm not comfortable with. Also, after playing more of a players type iron (Mizuno MP-60) it was a little tougher for me to look down at a thicker top line, especially with the 4 and 5 irons being so beefy. I liked the R11 irons quite a bit. They fit my eye, even though they are still a little thicker than my MP-60s. But it's negligible. Also, the stock shaft was a lot better for me. Still wasn't the best, as the DG XP and KBS Tours topped the regular DG's, but it would be easier for me to play those stock than the RBZs. That said, still not sold on going to R11's for sure. They're on my list, but nothing is set in stone yet. I hope that helps. Please ask if I can clear anything up!

Yeah it seems really odd to me. I got the standard fitting at Golf Galaxy and they said I was stiff shaft, standard lie/loft so no tweaking of the clubs was done. They are stock from TM. Gonna go to the range again and see what happens.
Still not right....if you are hitting your 9 iron 155 yards then you should easily be hitting the AW 120-130 yards. Something isn't adding up with that.

Yep and based of what I hit the 8iron 2 holes earlier the 9iron seemed short as well. More range time it is.

Shot my best nine holes of the year last night. It was only a 38 but I left a 4' birdie putt short...grrr.. and didn't get up and down on two holes from the fringe...grrrr. and one missed up and down on a sandy.

The RBZ driver was keeping me in the shorter grass for all but a couple of holes which really helps. Would have liked to see the 35 that was really sitting on the table. Nothing spectacular on the round. No great putts or amazing second shots. But 2 birdies in nine with the third missed birdie caused by the pressure aint too bad......grrrrrr

Things are looking up.
Like the short irons. They have been working well. Still finding the distances.
Love the 3 hybrid. Large improvment over a 3 iron. Almost look forward to being 200 out.

Still not in love with the 4 and 5 iron. Needs a ton of work. Thought I had them figured out but then left the driving range.

Half my friends now own the driver and 3 wood. I should have made them pay to use mine :act-up:

Happy to report my RBZ irons are headed to their new home in Canada with everyone's favorite Tuna.

My work bench drools in anticipation.

I hit the ball very well today with my RBZ irons! The only problem I had was operator error when I shanked six shots. I should have shot a triple digit number but the irons saved me when the operator had his brain in gear. I love these clubs more each time I play em.

Good to hear OG!!! Stop that shanking business!!

Another good round yesterday, 77. My driver was terrible to say the least. Used my 7 iron into 2 par 3's that measured 180ish to the pin and was pin high on both, about 15 feet away and on a approach shot to the green about 167 onto a 7-10mph wind that landed pin high about 10 feet away. Missed all 3 putts!!! Hit another 4 AW's that either hit the green or was just off on the fringe. Starting to get in a groove with 'em now!

Hey all you fellow RBZ'rs. Mine will ship tomorrow! I don't say I can't wait. Damm I can't wait! lol

Mine have shipped too. 4-AW standard flex steel. I still have to wait. They won't be here for 5 more days! :crying:

Took these out in pretty wet conditions this afternoon. They didn't disappoint as I've come to expect. 4 and 5 irons however were not so friendly in the wet conditions. The 4i went flying up the fairway by accident as I slipped and twisted my knee and in my stumble, the club went for an unplanned exit. No damage to it and I limped it off and was ok a few holes later but it was a little embarrassing.

I did have one O_0 moment though on one hole. AW has gone typically 120-125 throughout testing. All day it did the same except for one hole. I had 116 to the front edge, 24 pin, 138 back. I hit AW and it went a lot higher than usual. I thought I'd came up short at first. Nope. Flew the green and almost went into the woods. That's not cool AW.. Not cool at all.

Took these out in pretty wet conditions this afternoon. They didn't disappoint as I've come to expect. 4 and 5 irons however were not so friendly in the wet conditions. The 4i went flying up the fairway by accident as I slipped and twisted my knee and in my stumble, the club went for an unplanned exit. No damage to it and I limped it off and was ok a few holes later but it was a little embarrassing.

I did have one O_0 moment though on one hole. AW has gone typically 120-125 throughout testing. All day it did the same except for one hole. I had 116 to the front edge, 24 pin, 138 back. I hit AW and it went a lot higher than usual. I thought I'd came up short at first. Nope. Flew the green and almost went into the woods. That's not cool AW.. Not cool at all.

The last part of this is the main reason why I don't really look at irons like these any more. Not a bad set and nothing against them but I just had to many shots with the Burner 2.0's that went 180-178-181-***195***!!! It really drove me nuts and after a while I'd just had enough. I'd imagine that these would probably be worse about that.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

The last part of this is the main reason why I don't really look at irons like these any more. Not a bad set and nothing against them but I just had to many shots with the Burner 2.0's that went 180-178-181-***195***!!! It really drove me nuts and after a while I'd just had enough. I'd imagine that these would probably be worse about that.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

It's not the head's fault. It's either the shaft isn't fitting right, I need to work out less (unlikely) or it was one of those perfect moments where the shaft was leaning forward more than usual, I caught the exact center of the face, and the shaft kicked just perfectly. I've had it happen with other irons too and it makes you kinda scratch your head. I really need to remember how and what happened so I can repeat it every time. I'd probably be pretty awesome at this game if I could.

Well as usual THP was right on the money. Took the clubs in to Golf galaxy over lunch. first hit them on the sim. 8i was pretty consistent 170-175yd carry on solid strikes. 9i was ~150. AW was actually on right around 120 which I am cool with. So the question is what was up with the 8-9g. They measured the 8iron and it was 37*, measured the PW and it was 45* so one would expect the 9i to be around 41*......actual measurement....47*, makes you wonder about the TM quality control. GG bent it down to 41, playing 18 in the morning so will report back.

Well as usual THP was right on the money. Took the clubs in to Golf galaxy over lunch. first hit them on the sim. 8i was pretty consistent 170-175yd carry on solid strikes. 9i was ~150. AW was actually on right around 120 which I am cool with. So the question is what was up with the 8-9g. They measured the 8iron and it was 37*, measured the PW and it was 45* so one would expect the 9i to be around 41*......actual measurement....47*, makes you wonder about the TM quality control. GG bent it down to 41, playing 18 in the morning so will report back.
So you got the AW to the 120yd mark? Good. But you were hitting the 8i 170-175yds???? :bulgy-eyes: Wow?! Dude, that is nuking an 8i at 37* loft. The TM site says the 8i loft is actually suppose to be at 35* so you're hitting it 175yds and it's 2* more loft! BTW, it says the 9i should be at 40* loft. Weird stuff going on with your clubs. I would write TM and send them the GG work order that they did to show them something was wrong. They might help take care of your issues.

Yeah...it is definitely weird. I am not too concerned about the actual distances (but hey i feel more manly since I am hitting a smooth 8 what would have been a light 6 with my old set) but the gaps was the big problem. Out of curiosity where did you find the stock lofts for the set.

I forgot to mention that golf galaxy rebent the 9 at no charge.

Yeah...it is definitely weird. I am not too concerned about the actual distances (but hey i feel more manly since I am hitting a smooth 8 what would have been a light 6 with my old set) but the gaps was the big problem. Out of curiosity where did you find the stock lofts for the set.

tm_specifications_rbz_irons.png

http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/RocketBallz-Irons-Steel/DW-JN523,default,pd.html

Had a RBZ moment yesterday. Par 3 pin playing 155 into the wind. Debated between 7 iron which would leave it short and uphill putt or an easy 6. Decided to go 7 iron. Completly flew the green. Ball looked like it was going in the hole.....all the way until it bounce on back of green and over it went. I've played that hole and have never even come close to the back of the green with the 7. Kind of a head scratcher.

Had a RBZ moment yesterday. Par 3 pin playing 155 into the wind. Debated between 7 iron which would leave it short and uphill putt or an easy 6. Decided to go 7 iron. Completly flew the green. Ball looked like it was going in the hole.....all the way until it bounce on back of green and over it went. I've played that hole and have never even come close to the back of the green with the 7. Kind of a head scratcher.
More and more stories like this....I have a head scratcher at least once a round with mine.

For those of which with an AW, does it fly the typical distance of an AW? What wedges do you guys have to keep a consistent setup?

For those of which with an AW, does it fly the typical distance of an AW? What wedges do you guys have to keep a consistent setup?
Hi Thainer...welcome to the site...........again. :bashful:

My distance for the AW is about 125yds. My wedges are 60 degree = 80-85yds, 56 degree = 100-105yds and 52 degree = 110-115yds

I've had no issue going 50-52-58. That being said, I'm now going 50-54-58 just for a little more option around the green with the 54 that the 52 wasn't doing well. 52 was good for low runners, but not so good out of the bunkers.

Distance wise, I'm in the 120-130 range with it.

Hi Thainer...welcome to the site...........again. :bashful:

My distance for the AW is about 125yds. My wedges are 60 degree = 80-85yds, 56 degree = 100-105yds and 52 degree = 110-115yds

Hmm. I'm not sure then. If the AW is only 50* I'm sure a 56* would leave too big of a gap, but 52 might not be enough of a gap. Maybe I'm forced into a 54 58 64 wedge set.

Hmm. I'm not sure then. If the AW is only 50* I'm sure a 56* would leave too big of a gap, but 52 might not be enough of a gap. Maybe I'm forced into a 54 58 64 wedge set.

Why the 64 instead of something at the top of the bag?

Back