New to Hybrids. Questions after first outing.

rsawyers

Reaction score
Ok so I got a new set of RBZ Irons with a 3 and 4 Hybrid over the winter. 2 Sundays ago I was able to go to the range and play a round. While on the range I hit all my irons starting with my wedge as I usually do. I got to the Hybrids. I started with the 3 first. I hit it very low and didn't seem too crisp. I hit the 4 and hit it much better and I even hit it farther than the 3 by 10 to 15 yards even. I was hitting the 4 around 220 and the 3 around 210. Is this a usual thing? Should I be trying a different shot shape with the 3 than the 4? Needles to say I am puzzled. I hit the 3 good sometimes but it didn't seem like I was getting good compression on the ball but I had to be it just wouldn't carry very well. Any ideas?

The 3 is longer than the 4 so it sounds like you'll have a bit of an adjustment period to get used to the length. I think once you figure it out, you'll see greater distance with the 3 hybrid

Some people hit higher lofted farther because it helps get the ball p and therefore can lead to more carry. That might be you.

THPing on Tapatalk

It may just be an adjusting thing, or it could be a mental thing, sometimes if you think you don't like a club then alot of times you won't be able to hit it. Me and my old driver had to break up because of this. :banana:

You need time to adjust to the hybrids, its a little different than hitting an iron....if you are hitting the 3H really low, you arent getting good carry so that explains the distance loss...just give yourself some more practice time and it will come around.

Just sounds like you may have not been hitting it on the nuts to me with your 3. Maybe go back to the range with just your hybrids with a bucket until you feel comfortable?

Im also new to the hybrid world. Yesterday I noticed when I was hitting them on the low side that ball position was the cause. Initially had the ball position in the same spot I hit a 5 Iron. I ended up getting the best ball flight, distance and trajectory when I placed the ball in what I see for my 3 iron. It's a transition when you go this route I noticed. And it takes a bit of patience, time I have the later is work in progress. Good luck

I had a similar problem when I switched from using one hybrid to two. I hit the 4h further than the 3h (or so it seemed). For me, I'm pretty sure it was more mental than anything physical, and I echo the sentiments above that there is an adjustment period to hitting hybrids consistently regardless of the length/loft.

Strike the hybrid like an iron, with a slightly negative AOA.

Didn't like the RBZ hybrids personally and couldn't get on with them. I had the RBZ 3 Hybrid and had difficulties hitting it - eventually chopped it in for an Adams #3 Hybrid which was much easier to hit.

I now have the Rescue 2011 hybrids which are probably one of the easiest to hit hybrids on the market, just have to show the ball the club and it launches!

Thank you all for the shared wisdom! I will have to get out there and work at it!

Back