2012 Scottish Open Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
5923908070_dd5049b651_z.jpg

Luke Donald is back to defend his title at the Scottish Open, which returns to the links at Castle Stuart. As the Open Championship is next week and this tournament is being played on a links course, there is a pretty nice field for this event. The big names in this event besides Donald: Louis Oosthuizen, Ernie Els, Fredrik Jacobson, Martin Kaymer, Phil Mickelson, Aaron Baddeley, Padraig Harrington, Miguel Angel Jimenez, and last week's winner on the European Tour, Marcel Siem.

This tournament was hit by a freak storm last year that damaged some parts of the course, hopefully the weather is better than that this year. I assume that the Paulo will be giving us a detailed report of the weather there as well!

Looking forward to this one. Apparently the course won't fall into the sea again this year, that would be nice.

Weather update as requested.....it's raining. Forecast says.....it gonna rain. Although, most of the flood warnings and heavy rainfall is forecast for the east coast, so we may get away with it for this tournament. You all know there's no such thing as a rain delay over here anyway, don't you?

I've got a few bets on the go for this one. There wasn't a lot of value about, but I picked Louis for overall winner, due to the good odds. Top 5s for F Molinari, Luke, Paddy and Branden Grace.

Interesting to see a couple of big name US players over for this one, yet no Westwood, Mcilroy, or GMac... I guess some like to prep with practice, some with rest...

I love this open, I hope the course is in good shape, we've had a truly awful 'summer' over here.

Are you Tapatalking to me?

I wish they played this at carnoustie

I wish they played this at carnoustie

The Open is coming back there soon. Really enjoy watching golf at Carnoustie (although not as much as playing!). Love seeing what I'd term as an 'old style' links course, and how the pros can struggle with a par 3 of just over 100 yards!

That said, Castle Stuart really is a lovely setting, in an oft-missed part of the country. Looking forward to watching how the weather goes and what it does to the scoring. At the moment, it's looking like the course is soft and the wind isn't a factor....we could see some low scores today.

Wow - Mollinari is storming it... after an astounding finish last week too. Methinks he's hitting some form at the right time. -7 after 12, and a 3 footer to get to -8...

This course is one of the great golf courses I have ever played. Im so lucky to have played it.

Wow - Mollinari is storming it... after an astounding finish last week too. Methinks he's hitting some form at the right time. -7 after 12, and a 3 footer to get to -8...

He's going HAM out there. -9 through 14 holes! 5 birdies in a row on the front, then 3 in a row so far to 14....

Are we talking the hairy Molinari or the short one?

I don't understand why the coverage here doesn't start until 9am.

The short one is the scary molinari. Hes the one thats good at golf.

The Nike one. He looks like he had plastic surgery gone wrong on his face.

Make that -10 with 3 to play. Scary golf from the little un.

Make that -10 with 3 to play. Scary golf from the little un.

That's wild. Again, why does the coverage here not start until 9am, you know, when we all have to go to work?

That's wild. Again, why does the coverage here not start until 9am, you know, when we all have to go to work?

Frustrating. This would be a good one to watch live. I know there's live coverage available as of a couple of hours ago too.

Casper the friendly Molinari needs to keep this up for another 3 rounds, and make me look like a betting genius.

In other player news, Luke is -6 through 14, Ernie is having an interesting round, 7 birdies, 1 bogey, 1 double, and is at -4. Phil tees off in about an hour and a half.

Frustrating. This would be a good one to watch live. I know there's live coverage available as of a couple of hours ago too.

Casper the friendly Molinari needs to keep this up for another 3 rounds, and make me look like a betting genius.

In other player news, Luke is -6 through 14, Ernie is having an interesting round, 7 birdies, 1 bogey, 1 double, and is at -4. Phil tees off in about an hour and a half.

Well, if Phil shoots over par then we have a problem. One would think that Luke Donald would have to be a decent favorite at the OC next week.

Well, if Phil shoots over par then we have a problem. One would think that Luke Donald would have to be a decent favorite at the OC next week.

Ya know, he's got all the game for an Open Championship. Probably plays his long irons better than a lot of guys play their short irons. He should be closer time after time, I think he owes himself an Open.

Phil will be looking and the conditions today and thinking he could get a confidence-boosting round in.

Is it me or does it look like the wind is picking up?

Just in time for Phil to go out and lay a turd.

Thanks for that image, I've just gagged on my lunch...

Just in time for Phil to go out and lay a turd.

Phil doesn't do excuses though. Apart from that last time.

Looks like it might be tougher this afternoon. That 62 might be looking mighty good by the end of the day.

Watched a bit of this at lunch and saw Ernie taking 4 shots to get out of a bunker! Made me feel much better.

Molinari has really started to play really well, he's always been a great ball striker but his putting held him back.

Back