Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Just got my Classic back from Cleveland after the shaft came loose. Took it to the range to smash some balls. Almost forgot how much I love this stick. I'm working on my backswing to correct a big issue that has crept into my game these last couple months (thank you Golftec as usual for getting me back on track). Between the fix and the Classic, range balls were getting reintroduced to the 300 yard sign on the range.

On a down note, as I was putting my driver away, I looked down and noticed that the little Classic badge in the sole was completely missing! I had a quick look around, but who knows how far it launched out into the range on one of the swings. I don't think the missing badge will affect the performance of the driver, and I really don't want to send the driver in again after just getting it. Has this happened to anyone else?

That sucks, man. Bummer. Now I'm worried.

Came home yesterday to a 12* Classic sitting on the porch. I will not get to swing it untill this Sunday, I will compare the 10.5 to the 12. Big difference will be shafts, the 10.5 has the Blueboard and the 12 is stock for now. Also the 12 is the 270 head while my 10.5 is the 290. Just looking at them side by side I can hardly notice a size difference.

Congrats, Vince! The 270 and 290 heads are actually the same size, they are just weighted a little differently.

Last edited:
On a down note, as I was putting my driver away, I looked down and noticed that the little Classic badge in the sole was completely missing! I had a quick look around, but who knows how far it launched out into the range on one of the swings. I don't think the missing badge will affect the performance of the driver, and I really don't want to send the driver in again after just getting it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Badges?! We don't need no stinkin' badges! lol

No but seriously, that sucks big time. As unfortunate as it may be, I would send it right back to Cleveland ASAP.

I had a great day with my Classic yesterday. I only missed 2 fairways and my distane was much longer than usual.

I have my 1st official complaint; the headcover. I love the looks of the headcover but since there is not a "sock", the shaft rubs against the slot of the bag and it has started to "wear" an area of the shaft.

I had a great day with my Classic yesterday. I only missed 2 fairways and my distane was much longer than usual.

I have my 1st official complaint; the headcover. I love the looks of the headcover but since there is not a "sock", the shaft rubs against the slot of the bag and it has started to "wear" an area of the shaft.

Like the head cover OK, but can see that as an issue, but all my woods have the same UGA head covers so it will go in my extra head cover box, which sits next to my extra holster box.

Came home yesterday to a 12* Classic sitting on the porch. I will not get to swing it untill this Sunday, I will compare the 10.5 to the 12. Big difference will be shafts, the 10.5 has the Blueboard and the 12 is stock for now. Also the 12 is the 270 head while my 10.5 is the 290. Just looking at them side by side I can hardly notice a size difference.

Hey Vince, as far as I know there is no size difference between the 270 and 290 heads. The primary difference is the 270 is using an extra lightweight shaft.

That stinks man...you've had a few QC issues with this stick haven't you?

Just got my Classic back from Cleveland after the shaft came loose. Took it to the range to smash some balls. Almost forgot how much I love this stick. I'm working on my backswing to correct a big issue that has crept into my game these last couple months (thank you Golftec as usual for getting me back on track). Between the fix and the Classic, range balls were getting reintroduced to the 300 yard sign on the range.

I certainly saw a lower ball flight with the Kusala 61 than the C. Kua 43. I sent an email to Miyazaki with my observation that the 61 Kusala had a lower ball flight and here's what I got back.

"Hi Eric thank you.
I agree with you assessment. The best would be the 290 head with a Black 61 S. The 43 X would not be too stiff but still might be to high.

Tim"

Here's what I sent to him.

I'm buying a new Cleveland Classic 290 this week and am having difficulty selecting a shaft. First a little background. I'm 47 years old, swing speed of 105, index is 1.1. I have always been a high spin player. My current driver is a Mizuno MP630 with a Fubuki stiiff(I also have this driver with a Fubuki X flex but recent knee surgery has prevented me from playing it). My other favorite driver is a Bridgestone j33R 460 with a Diamana 63xct5 X flex.

I hit both the 10.5 310 Kusala 61s and a 9* C. Kua 43s outside yesterday and felt like the C. Kua was balloning - it had a higher ball flight than the 10.5* Kusala which also had a little too high of flight. The shop did not have a 9* Kusala 61 but I think the ball flight on that one would be perfect for me. My dilemma is I much prefer the deeper face and overall look of the 290 head. I am thinking about ordering a 9* 290 with the 43 X but I am thinking it may be a little too stiff, at least until my knee fully heals. I feel like the best option is a 290 head with a Kusala 61 stiff but it will take a couple of week to order one.

In my experiences, a slightly lower ball flight.

well, i've officially lost my cleveland classic. unfortunately i let my friend use it for one round while visiting the MD/DC area and he out drove me every time he 'borrowed' it for a tee shot. he offered me $200 and since he's a great friend of mine i figured why not...so, now i'm in search of either another classic, or something else...#sadface

congrats, im pretty confident you will be able to at least hit 1 out of the 2 you have well

I have my baby back in the bag! Cleveland sent the same head I had hit back, just reshafted it with a c Kua. The Manager at golfsmith took the new Miya Blue shaft that they had sent to me and put it in himself...will be taking it out in league play tonight. Hope to have a happy reunion.

Lets us know how it goes for you JN.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I had hoped to hit my new Classic last night, but as I was pulling into the course, my Girl calls and reminds me about our dinner date. So of course I was like, "yea headed your way right now" as I turn around in the parking lot, a little sad and disappointed.

So fast forward to today, me checking the radar, and looking out the window, praying the rain holds off just enough to get home, change and off to the course.

congrats, im pretty confident you will be able to at least hit 1 out of the 2 you have well

Funny guy Deano. I hit a shizz ton of fairways the first time I took it to the course and its gone down hill from there. Not bad but only 4-6 so I am hoping the 12* will give me more control.Also getting to play once or twice a month hurts as well, I will see how it goes this Sunday.

Funny guy Deano. I hit a shizz ton of fairways the first time I took it to the course and its gone down hill from there. Not bad but only 4-6 so I am hoping the 12* will give me more control.Also getting to play once or twice a month hurts as well, I will see how it goes this Sunday.

yeah u hit it well in FLA too, but you seemed to really like it when you got on the Launch Monitor with JB at Demo Day, im sure the higher loft will have you pounding them fairways again

yeah u hit it well in FLA too, but you seemed to really like it when you got on the Launch Monitor with JB at Demo Day, im sure the higher loft will have you pounding them fairways again

I was very bad off the tee in FL, on the monitor I was on. I think I got the swing hard mentality watching Buck crank out 300 yard bombs all day. Either way I think the 12* will be very good for me.

I took a day at the range dedicated only to my longer clubs because I've been battling a swing flaw that throws my shaft off plane.

Made a few adjustments with the Classic today, and I kid you not every ball I hit with it left the area of our 275yd UPHILL driving range. I'd say the whole area is probably 285yds. This club is a beast and I can hit both straight bombs and cuts with it. Don't know why I can't get a draw, but who cares!

Also, I still seem to be catching the ball a little high on the face. I've tee'd the ball down about as far as I'm comfortable with. Any other ideas?

I took a day at the range dedicated only to my longer clubs because I've been battling a swing flaw that throws my shaft off plane.

Made a few adjustments with the Classic today, and I kid you not every ball I hit with it left the area of our 275yd UPHILL driving range. I'd say the whole area is probably 285yds. This club is a beast and I can hit both straight bombs and cuts with it. Don't know why I can't get a draw, but who cares!

Also, I still seem to be catching the ball a little high on the face. I've tee'd the ball down about as far as I'm comfortable with. Any other ideas?

Move it up in your stance some? might bring a draw into play as well...

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Move it up in your stance some? might bring a draw into play as well...

I already play it about 1/2 ball off my front foot. I don't think I could move it any more without hitting slices instead of cuts.

No range time yet, but I am in my back yard now , getting a feel for it. Really don't have to swing this club hard to get good speed.

I've been fighting the urge to hit this girl off the deck hard as of late.

I used to hit my 910 from the ground all the time but quit it when I got the R11s for fear of busting up the ASP. I think old' Bessy would do well but I don't wanna scratch the sexy copper on the sole!

Typically if I'm high on the face with a low tee height I'm cutting across the ball as well, but that's just me.

I've been fighting the urge to hit this girl off the deck hard as of late.

I used to hit my 910 from the ground all the time but quit it when I got the R11s for fear of busting up the ASP. I think old' Bessy would do well but I don't wanna scratch the sexy copper on the sole!

Colt you have the combo in your Classic i may go after , if the stock shaft is not a godo fit, although i think it will be. Not sure about hitting it off the deck, can't say i have ever tried since i have hard enough time with my 3woods.

Back