When does a 3 iron quit being a 3 iron

bigtazz53

@bigtazzGOLF
Reaction score
Handicap
13.3 GHIN
When does a 3 iron quit being a 3 iron?
I got curious about lofts of today vs older clubs.
My 3 iron is 21 degrees (callaway x18), in older clubs that loft was a 2 iron.
So I guess I can hit a 2 iron lol
In 20 yrs, I wonder what a 21 degree iron will be, 4 iron?
Never mind, the Taylormade RBZ 4 iron is 20 degrees (3 iron is 17.5)
So I guess their add is true, their 3 iron will go further than my 3 iron.
But will their 21 degree go further go further than my 21 degree, ha
So why do the club makers keep relabeling their clubs?
Why can't they have a standard system where each club has its specific loft.
All 21 degree clubs are 3 irons, 23 degree are 4 irons etc

When does a 3 iron quit being a 3 iron?
I got curious about lofts of today vs older clubs.
My 3 iron is 21 degrees (callaway x18), in older clubs that loft was a 2 iron.
So I guess I can hit a 2 iron lol
In 20 yrs, I wonder what a 21 degree iron will be, 4 iron?
Never mind, the Taylormade RBZ 4 iron is 20 degrees (3 iron is 17.5)
So I guess their add is true, their 3 iron will go further than my 3 iron.
But will their 21 degree go further go further than my 21 degree, ha
So why do the club makers keep relabeling their clubs?
Why can't they have a standard system where each club has its specific loft.
All 21 degree clubs are 3 irons, 23 degree are 4 irons etc

Because they figured out that people buy the clubs they hit 'the longest'.

When it has a 2 or a 4 stamped on it.

The iron number is just a number, it could be 3* weak or strong and it's still a 3 iron.

The loft isn't the only thing, the shaft plays a big role in how the club plays too. You can have stronger lofts with a higher launch shaft or the opposite, or any combination.

^ this. Loft isn't everything. Plus so long as your distance gaps are good it shouldn't matter what the number on the club says.

It's a 3 iron when that's the number stamped on the iron head. You can just order your irons through Scratch Golf. And just have the degrees stamped on the clubs.

I don't think the number on the club matters. You hit your 3 iron whatever yardage you hit it whether it's 17* or 25*. May be shorter or longer, but it's still a 3 iron. I want a 3 iron.

When I pull it from my bag because my brain says I can't hit a 3 iron. Hehehe

I use my 3 iron usually as my 2nd shot on par 4 or 5s, mostly because I haven't mastered my 5w.

Now my 3 iron is a 1986 so I can't tell you what the loft is.

Why does loft dictate the iron?
Shouldnt ball flight and launch dictate the iron?
Does it also bother you that drivers are not all the same lofts? Should I say that your driver is not a driver because its 8* and mine is 12*

Since not everybody hits the same distances, ball flight would clearly be how they determine lofts, and the reason that the same companies that put out lower lofts in some irons, also have fairly traditional lofts in others.

Does it also bother you that drivers are not all the same lofts? Should I say that your driver is not a driver because its 8* and mine is 12*

Since not everybody hits the same distances, ball flight would clearly be how they determine lofts, and the reason that the same companies that put out lower lofts in some irons, also have fairly traditional lofts in others.

Lil bit but not as much lol
I see what your saying

I think any iron with a 3 on it regardless of loft is a 3 iron.

I agree. The number on the club means nothing. I never pull a club based on the number on it, I pull clubs based on loft.

I think it should primarily be yardage gaps that determine the numbers on the clubs. I know that is relative to each player, but when they had to start including extra wedges between the pitching wedge and sand wedge, it was time to admit that the pitching wedge was actually a 9 iron.

I think it's just what is stamped on the club. Golf has no standard anything across the board from shaft flex to weight of the iron to lie, lenght, loft. It really is from set to set. I think Driver heads are the best example I have seen 4.5* drivers to 12* drivers thats a large gap for one club yet they are all drivers.

Why do you think so many iron sets are sold as 4-AW/GW now? Because its the same set loft wise as the old 3-PW but just one higher number.

I played yesterday with a buddy (much younger than I am) and he refers to his wedges as "54," and "60." For instance he'd say "I think this shot is a 54." He chuckled when I referred to my wedges as a Lob wedge, "U" wedge, or Sand wedge.

So I guess the number denomination (or in the case of wedges, the alpha abbreviation) really isn't important.

Back