Idiot proof wedges?

BogeyMan60

Reaction score
Handicap
My Gut
I'm looking for some new wedges that a fairly idiot proof and would greatly appreciate some advice, I can chip fairly well with my current CG16's but that's about it. Other than that I skull it or catch it fat every time, I can't hit a full shot with them into the green to save my life and it's really holding me back from improving my scores I think. I'm really looking into the Cobra big trusty rustys as they seem like the best option for what I'm looking for but I haven't been able to find much info on them. I just want something fairly easy to hit with enough spin to stop a shot fairly quick on the green. Thanks as always guys!

i've heard herbie's one putt wedge is pretty idiot proof. might want to read about it. there is a pretty good review thread on it here..

Might be worth your time to check out the TaylorMade ATV. Not "idiot proof", but very versatile.

Are you sure your money wouldn't be better spent on a lesson? You could put your "bad" wedges in the hands of any of the good players here and I'd be willing to bet they'd be throwing darts with them. While there are some differences in wedges, they've all got the same basic design. I'll bet a lesson will have your "bad" wedges working a lot better.

I would guess they are a poor fit for you, you might want to check into what the bounce is on the wedges, and see if you can't experiment with a few to find a bounce that works better for you.

Great input Wade! I don't think there is such a thing as an "idiot proof" wedge. Sure, there are variable bounce wedges that are able to handle different turf conditions, but they still require a good swing to have some consistency. I think a lesson can go a long way in helping you get to where you want to be.

Might be worth your time to check out the TaylorMade ATV. Not "idiot proof", but very versatile.

I second this whole-heartedly. I have them, and love them. They can do anything from anywhere. Bump n run, full shot, half shot, sand, flop shot. I trust them 100000%

Dan

I need an entire set of idiot proof clubs. And an idiot proof swing.

I struggled with this recently. Took the lessons route. Am now setting the ball a little back in stance on wedge shots and ensuring hands forward at impact (and a little at address) with steeper swing, basically making better ball contact. Has cured the full shot wedge problem and really helps with all the irons.

Taking bounce out of the equation, which a lot of people have trouble with. I would recommend SCOR wedges. I used a couple and found them very easy to use.

Adams Tom Watson wedges have a very flat leading edge that helps if you tend to hit it fat

The CG16s are already cavity back which technically makes them on the forgiving side of wedges as most are straight blades. I'd say a lesson would help loads more than a new wedge would. From your OP it sounds as though you have problems hitting it square, which is a swing flaw that needs to be corrected.

THPing on Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm already on it when it comes to lessons, my instructor was actually the ones who suggested I look into more forgiving wedges. When I bought my wedges I really had no idea what I was buying, just looking for something that was cool. I just started golfing in the fall so I was a total newbie.

Taylormade ATV's are probably as close to a "forgiving from everywhere" wedge as you can get I think. They can be had quite cheap as well these days.

I've got CG-14's, which are the predecessors to your CG-16's. I bought them because they were one of the most forgiving wedges on the market, and because I liked what I read about them on THP's wedge shootout.

But I will say that the best wedge purchase I ever made wasn't a wedge - it was a shag bag and Stan Utley's short game book. I've spent a lot of time in the back yard with a shag bag full of balls and my two wedges trying to drop balls in to a 5 gallon bucket 10 - 20 yards away. Or picking a target in the yard (maybe using one of those little utilities marker flags) and pitching back and forth. Doing this has helped me settle down and commit to the shot. I know that I tend to skull them if I'm not certain what I'm trying to do, and I get "handsy" during my swing.

I don't know that there are many wedges out there that are going to be more forgiving than the CG-16's, honestly.

Taylormade ATV's are probably as close to a "forgiving from everywhere" wedge as you can get I think. They can be had quite cheap as well these days.

+1 agree with those comments. ATV's are well worth a 1st and 2nd look.

Cleveland Niblicks are pretty forgiving. Herbie's OPW is great for chipping. You can blow a shot with any of them though. I think the key is practice more than anything else.

I disagree. I personally believe that no blade style wedge is more forgiving that another and it is all perceived. I didn't find my ATVs last year any more forgiving that anything else on the shelf.

THPing on Tapatalk

Cleveland Niblicks are pretty forgiving. Herbie's OPW is great for chipping. You can blow a shot with any of them though. I think the key is practice more than anything else.
I tend to agree with ryebread on this one. The niblick's have been very good for me, surprisingly more on full or almost full shots for me. They are very good for chipping also.

It might be as easy as a lesson or a wedge fitting to check your lie and bounce. I'd start there before you're going through wedges every year.

If you're a digger like me take a look at the Bridgestone WC wedges. I used to dig some big holes with a lot of different brands but for some reason these WC wedges just leave a little bruise instead of a crater. You really have to try hard to chunk these wedges. Track down the Liquid Copper finish for that rusty look.

Back