Hitting Big High Draw

Kriess

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, I have a problem that when I get into a nice groove and start hitting my irons well, I tend to loose my shots left with a big high draw that starts off in the direction I aim but I just can't control the draw. I have noticed lately that I don't like the look of the offset on my clubs(Burner 2.0), it feels uncomfortable looking down at setup. Could the offset be causing the high draw?

That sounds no good bud. The offset of the irons could be a contributing factor but I can't see how if you normally hit them well that all of a sudden the offset works against you if you know what I mean.
There are a few things that you should look at,
Does your grip change and become too strong?
Does the ball position change?
Are you aligned correctly?
I'd look at these things forst, as basic as they may sound, it's often a simple fix that'll get you back in form. When I was a junior, I started hitting big high hooks, every shot! I couldn't work it out and in time found myelf litterally aiming for trouble knowing I'd be hooking it back safely. I played a round with the coach who taught me to play and after 1 shot he said to me, "Do you realise where your feet are aiming?" I was aiming so far right with my feet but just didn't realise it. A simple fix and one that saw my handicap tumble. Good luck and keep us informed.

Hey guys, I know I am not an admin but this is the Ask the Pro section, we are to keep it clean until the Pro answers.

Thanks for the question. The offset is definitely a design aspect that will encourage a higher flight, as well as a flight that goes more left. I would first suggest when hitting on the range to put a club on the ground that lines up with your toes to confirm or deny where you are lined up. If you are definitely hitting it left of where you are aimed, then figure out if the ball starts left or right of your intended line. If it starts left then you are coming over the top and would want to work on swinging more inside out. If it starts right and then curves too much left, then I would work on feeling like you never release the clubface and it points right of your target through impact.

Might be worth your time to go through a clubfitting and see how a less offset iron performs. Hope this helps!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back