Filling R11S with Cotton

wow it does sound really differnet

Just for comparison here is a sound test with a hot melted head in case anybody is wondering what the difference between the cotton filled head and hot melted head sounds like.

I could certainly here the difference in the vids from yesterday when I used ear buds. I am glad it worked out so well for you Thainer.

Nice video Thainer, it is def more muted for sure. This weekend when I play I will try to get a video of mine with the Hot Melted head to compare to the cotton to see if there is a big difference or not. Good stuff dude. I know I loved my Supertri a lot more once I filled it with cotton. How many total cotton balls did you end up getting in? Also what size cotton balls did you use, small, normal, or the large jumbo ones because that makes a big difference on how quick it fills up and the amount used. I always use the normal sized ones.

I got 11 jumbo balls in that sucker. Probably coulda got 2-3 more but wanted to let the face flex a little.

Just for comparison here is a sound test with a hot melted head in case anybody is wondering what the difference between the cotton filled head and hot melted head sounds like.

What does it mean when a driver head is "hot melted"? I have heard this term afew times but don't know about the process.

What does it mean when a driver head is "hot melted"? I have heard this term afew times but don't know about the process.
I'd post the video but since I'm new I'm not allowed to. So go to youtube and type in the search " What is Hotmelt??What does it do??"

Dude got 6 balls deep...

So the cotton is packed in pretty tight then? Interesting read.

I'd post the video but since I'm new I'm not allowed to. So go to youtube and type in the search " What is Hotmelt??What does it do??"

Ahh very cool, that seemed to explain it well. Thanks for directing me to the video.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

isn't that how metalwoods used to be made wayyyyyyy back in the day when they were new? I seem to remember old TM ads talking about how they were foam filled for consistent weights and pleasant sound.. (the TM midsize from back in the early 90's)

Years ago, I caved in the face of a buddy's Hogan 3-wood (literally - range balls!) and it was, indeed, foam on the inside. That was in about 1996 and the club was probably a few years old.

I got 11 jumbo balls in that sucker. Probably coulda got 2-3 more but wanted to let the face flex a little.
Nice dude! So you are def packed full, as full as you want to be anyway. I might join along with ya on this and see what hot melt plus cotton sounds like! Already hot melted so after I get a swing video to capture the sound I will probably add some cotton to see if it deadens the sound even more. Love these types of threads!

After reading this I decided to really listen to my friends r11s when he hit it. I never really noticed it before, but today i was like... Holy heck that thing sound just awful.

I hated the sound of it more then my old Sumo.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

After reading this I decided to really listen to my friends r11s when he hit it. I never really noticed it before, but today i was like... Holy heck that thing sound just awful.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

I agree that it sounds TERRIBLE. Where has that TM driver sound I used to love gone?

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Completely agree. I hated the sound of the R11 (enough to send a club back), and my experience with the R11s at a demo was pretty similar. The performance of the club is good, but I just can't stand the feel and sound.

To each his own, though. I know some people that swear by the R11s.

Completely agree. I hated the sound of the R11 (enough to send a club back), and my experience with the R11s at a demo was pretty similar. The performance of the club is good, but I just can't stand the feel and sound.

To each his own, though. I know some people that swear by the R11s.

The R11S is an unreal driver. I love it now that Ive made it feel great and sound awesome.

how do you tell if a club is hot-melted? my superquad has a sound completely different than my dads...mine's a T**** stamp TP version...

See I like the sound on my RBZ but that r11s was just awful.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Very interesting. I would think there would have to be some residual effect of adding the cotton, whether it be small or not. My concern would be the COR being effected because of a dampening material being added. I know you claim the cotton will give a little, but in design it isn't intended to have any material added internally. In the end, it may not be enough of a factor to make that much difference, to me my driver could sound like Bobcat Goldthwait as long as it went straight!

Thain how did this hold up over the last few month's?

I wanted to add my two cents here. After reading what Thain did I really wanted to do this. I asked around and found out this is the best way to "mute" the sound of the driver. I have to say after adding cotton balls to my R11s I have noticed a huge difference in sound. I play with a guy that has the same driver and I noticed a pretty big difference. Of course he hits the ball way harder than I do, but the sound is less. Thanks Thain for turning me onto this idea.

About a week after a guy made a huge offer for my RBZ irons. The catch was that I had to give him the R11S and ATV wedges. I sold it. But the sound and feel were awesome!

Thain how did this hold up over the last few month's?

You can always sell it and call it CottonBallz.

hahaha that's awesome!

I actually hit the R11s today and it didn't sound too bad

Hahaha, that ups simply genius.

when I had to buy a driver I chose the 910 over the R11 because of feel and sound and I am not looking back at that choice.

Back