Lessons question?

rrsaylor

Reaction score
Handicap
dont know
Hi all!

First official question from a true beginner. I was told that it may not be good to have lessons from 2 different instructors. I am going to be taking lessons at the PGA store but also wanted to take lessons from my golf pro at me local course.

I liken it to the rocky movie where he fights Drago (with all the technology) and rocky going old school with log on the back and running through the snow.

Weighing my options, which is more benificial to me the technology or the golf pro at my course.

thank you in advance for you input.

Robert

I'd just stick with one guy, but that's just me. Might take you a while to find the right one though. I think it was my 3rd try before I found somebody that I clicked with.

I would never take full swing lessons simultaneously from two different instructors. Never.

I am into my 3rd lesson series in 10 years. Technology was not really available and in use for the 1st series. When I started the 2nd series a decade later I was truly struck by how easy it was to understand and process information when I could see video, when my pro could use technology to draw lines and explain angles, when I could see myself side by side against a properly executed swing. It exponentially improved my ability to at least understand what I was doing and what I needed to do, and ultimately hastened my improvement. All other things being equal, I would start with the place that offers the technology.

I'd just stick with one guy, but that's just me. Might take you a while to find the right one though. I think it was my 3rd try before I found somebody that I clicked with.

So Would you recommend the PGA store or my course golf pro? I am leaning towards the PGA Store with all the technology they have.

Your thoughts?

You could take a lesson from each one time, then see who you like better and stick with that person. Sometimes you click better with one instructor over another.

So Would you recommend the PGA store or my course golf pro? I am leaning towards the PGA Store with all the technology they have.

Your thoughts?

It's so hard to say. I do believe that video is a great tool and all other things being equal, I'd look for an instructor that uses it.

motoo has a good point too.

If you really wanted to take lessons from two instructors, you could do short game lessons from your PGA Pro, and full swing at the store.

Teaching philosophy and ability to teach is FAR more important than technology. There are a lot of crappy teachers using video and trackman.

With that said, good teachers are adaptable and use whatever helps them be more effective. So you'll certainly find good teachers who make use of technology.

It wouldn't hurt to take a lesson with both, and then proceed with whichever one felt to you like the best teacher.

Hi all!

First official question from a true beginner. I was told that it may not be good to have lessons from 2 different instructors. I am going to be taking lessons at the PGA store but also wanted to take lessons from my golf pro at me local course.

I liken it to the rocky movie where he fights Drago (with all the technology) and rocky going old school with log on the back and running through the snow.

Weighing my options, which is more benificial to me the technology or the golf pro at my course.

thank you in advance for you input.

Robert

I would stick with just one or the other. Not all teachers are the same and there are different ways to get to the same point.

In my opinion I would try to get to know the instructor a bit before they start dedicated lessons with you. Get to know their philosophy on learning and how they Instruct. The last thing you want is someone who is not willing to accommodate you with anything you could need. I believe that you will eventually find 1 or 2 dedicated instructors that will suit your game.

In other options I would honestly just practice with YouTube videos, books, and watching other golfers that shoot low scores.
Best of luck bud and I hope you get a great instructor.
-Manny M.

I would never take full swing lessons simultaneously from two different instructors. Never.

I am into my 3rd lesson series in 10 years. Technology was not really available and in use for the 1st series. When I started the 2nd series a decade later I was truly struck by how easy it was to understand and process information when I could see video, when my pro could use technology to draw lines and explain angles, when I could see myself side by side against a properly executed swing. It exponentially improved my ability to at least understand what I was doing and what I needed to do, and ultimately hastened my improvement. All other things being equal, I would start with the place that offers the technology.

I agree. The technology works great for me. We really focused on a fundamentally based swing before we got into anything else. I've made a lot of progress now its time to move to my short game to really start lowering scores. I believe it was Hank Haney who says a golfers character is in his swing. Sorry if I totally butchered someone elses quote.

You could take a lesson from each one time, then see who you like better and stick with that person. Sometimes you click better with one instructor over another.

This is smart advice

Find the one with the approach you like, and stick with that teacher.

I've got a teacher I've been working with since I started, an LPGA pro. She knows my swing, she knows what I struggle with - because we talk a lot. We've played together before casually as well as during lessons. I've been very happy with what I've gained working with her.

A couple years ago, I was a member at a facility that also gives lessons, with very well-regarded instructors. My membership got me a number of free lessons, so I took two lessons from one of their teachers. This instructor immediately tried making significant swing changes in my driver swing. While I saw initial gains using that different swing, within a short period of time, I tore muscles in my back badly enough that I couldn't swing a club for almost 6 months. Was it the lesson? I don't know. But the swing I was told to use was uncomfortable to me.

My experience is to find the one that you work best with, and keep that teacher until you see a significant reason to change. Spend what you'd spend on the second teacher on range balls and dig it out of the dirt.

I agree with this

I went and spoke to pro at my course today and he said first thing he wants to do is evaluate my grip and my swing first lesson is next friday. Cant wait to see how bad it is. Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I went and spoke to pro at my course today and he said first thing he wants to do is evaluate my grip and my swing first lesson is next friday. Cant wait to see how bad it is. Lol

Awesome! Be sure to come back and tell us how it goes.

I'm glad to see you made a decision on an instructor. I also think you are on the right track with the instructor working on grip first. This is where I started my lessons.

Please keep us updated on your lessons and progress.

I'm glad to see you made a decision on an instructor. I also think you are on the right track with the instructor working on grip first. This is where I started my lessons.

Please keep us updated on your lessons and progress.

I sure will in the meantime I think I am going to play a few holes tommorow morning to see what its like on a real course. Kinda scared lol.

I sure will in the meantime I think I am going to play a few holes tommorow morning to see what its like on a real course. Kinda scared lol.

No need to be scurred go out and have fun!

Excellent stuff. You will be amazed what a few lessons will do. Get out there and play! No better way to spend a few hours. Have fun!

Lessons have worked for me now I have found the right pro to help, I have had many lessons from many different pros and I am slowly getting better after 3 years of trying. I am a 26 handicap and struggle playing off medal tees and have never been under 100 from the medal tees though I shoot under 100 from the front tees. My target this season was to shoot under a 100 in a medal and I did that today in my first medal with new equipment, I shot 94 and it should have been 90 if I had not left a few puts inches short of the hole. Very happy and now need a new target.

IMO, having good chemistry with the golf pro is the most important. They can have all the technology in the world but if you and the pro dont have good chemistry and if he/she doesnt present the information to you in a way that is useful to you, I dont feel that you will get the full benefit from it.
Ive done both the old school and the new school way and I feel that finding someone who you have chemistry with, who you trust and who you feel is genuinely insterested in helping you improve and isnt just trying to make money doing lessons is very, very important.

Back