Play This Hole - Short Par 4

8-iron ~160, then wedge. No shame at all. At worst, a two-putt par.

You have more restraint than I do. You've also gotten way better than me since we first met! I should learn something from this, but I probably won't.

I just play my game man. Nothing wrong with you playing yours!

People are talking about hitting it to a number and basically making this a short par 3. I miss a lot of greens and make a lot of bogies on par threes. Probably more doubles than birdies too. So if I lay up and try to hit it on and two putt from 100 yards, it's not going to happen most of the time. If I didn't think I could handle the driver that day, I would get try to get it as close as possible to those bunkers sitting 60 yards out and take my chances.

I just play my game man. Nothing wrong with you playing yours!

we have 1 that if the tee box is in a certain area it can be driven if you can fly it 245 or so. But there is OB right, woods left, and 2 massive bunkers short of the green. So if you go at it there isn't a lot of room. I usually will hit a shot short of the bunkers and give myself 60 yards or so in. The only time I try to drive it is when I'm working on my driver. I'll take shag balls out, go over to that tee, and hit a dozen balls out there.

Short hitter here. I'd have to hit Driver to reach the green. It would depend on how I was hitting it that day. Usually it's one of my most consistent clubs, so if it was a good day I'd take dead aim and try to play a fade.

When driver isn't going well, pull hooks are my miss and that would be deadly with water left. If it was one of "those" bad driving days I'd go with a 7 iron or 6 iron leaving a wedge shot in

There sure are a lot of people saying they'd lay up. Of course, that's probably the smart move, but how many would actually do it during a normal round? How can you pass up the chance for a hole in one on a par 4? It's like playing the lottery. Sure you'll most likely end up a loser, but there's always that chance. So how many of you would actually play it safe in a real round instead of an internet one?

I'm confident that unless it was an evening 9 after playing the course a handful of times, I'd go for the 100 marker 19 times out of 20.

Yeah, going for the ace on a par 4 is awesome, but so is a legitimate birdie chance on what should be an easy par 4.

There sure are a lot of people saying they'd lay up. Of course, that's probably the smart move, but how many would actually do it during a normal round? How can you pass up the chance for a hole in one on a par 4? It's like playing the lottery. Sure you'll most likely end up a loser, but there's always that chance. So how many of you would actually play it safe in a real round instead of an internet one?

My thought process is as follows:

I can do WAY more harm with a driver/3 wood off the tee than I can with a mid iron

While there is the potential to drive the green and 2 putt for birdie, theres also a BIGGER potential of not getting par on a hole you really should

I love these! I'd go 7 iron off the tee, leave myself with around 80 to 90 yards left. I can make birdie more often going that route than I can hitting 3 wood trying to drive the green.

This is my play as well, verbatim.

I'm not very accurate (big understatement) with my mid irons, so I'm probably not going to try and lay up unless the rough is like something you'd see at the U.S. Open. I feel pretty comfident that I can hit my hybrid straight and clear the bunkers, so I'd probably aim just around the left edge of the right bunker and hope to leave myself a short approach.

This is a fairly similar hole to the 8th on my home course, it's about 270 OOB on the right, trouble left (not water but huge tree) and I've consistently posted higher scores when I try to lay up on that hole rather than just hitting driver as far as I can. For some reason whenever I try to play the smart thing and layup or hit 3 wood or hybrid off a tee I create even more problems for myself.

It all depends on how well I'm playing that particular round. If I'm "in the zone" and hitting everything flush, I'd probably go with a gripped down 3w and play a draw starting at the water left of the green (keep in mind I'm a lefty). If I have the slightest doubt about being able to control my 3w or have any negative swing thoughts at all I'd take out the 8i and try to give myself about 90 yds in, which is probably one of my favourite wedge distances. Its all circumstantial though, like say I was in a match play format and my opponent knocked one on the green I'd have to match that. On the other hand if he was in trouble, lay up in the fairway. It could also be a good hole to put pressure on someone by taking the chance and hitting it either on or just short of the green with a 3w and put them out of their comfort zone.

Take out the 3 wood. Aim for the Water and play a fade into the green. When it doesnt fade start swearing.

256 to the front? 3i or 21* Utility and aim up the right side. No reason to go for the heart of the green. But I do want to get as close to the green as possible with out worrying about going long or left

My thought process is as follows:

I can do WAY more harm with a driver/3 wood off the tee than I can with a mid iron

While there is the potential to drive the green and 2 putt for birdie, theres also a BIGGER potential of not getting par on a hole you really should

good call! A par 4 this short is definitely a birdie hole, but, those holes are the most embarrassing to make 5 or even 6 on if you take the chance and pull a tin cup.

I'm confident that unless it was an evening 9 after playing the course a handful of times, I'd go for the 100 marker 19 times out of 20.

Yeah, going for the ace on a par 4 is awesome, but so is a legitimate birdie chance on what should be an easy par 4.

Birdies are nice, but they aren't awesome. I already have some of them, so it's time to set my sights higher. I'll take a chance at an eagle or albatross over a slightly lower score any day.

8 iron to 95-100 yards out. 56* in from there to close range. If there wasn't so much trouble, I would hit a smooth 3 wood at the right edge, but my miss is definitely left so let's take that out of play.

That's a short par 4! I'd think 8i off the tee would leave me right around 100yds (+/- 10 yds) which would be either my 53* or my 56* wedge depending on pin placement and anticipated landing area and then 1-2 putts in. This game is so easy from behind the keyboard!!

Safe play hit a 9i off the tee to 100yds then wedge in.

Reality hit hybo off the tee in between the bunkers and probably into the rough for a 30-50 pitch shot.

Driver. We have a quite similar hole at my home course, and I always drive.

I'm with ATL - I'd hit my +4 wood to the back right of the green

Well, apparently I'm a club behind you.

Regardless, though, that's the play for me. I think I'm in better shape with a miss just right of the green than I am with a 50 or 54 in my hand. Easier up and down.

If there was more trouble to the right, like if the rough was really deep, I would consider laying up. But, that's adding additional facts.

Well, apparently I'm a club behind you.

Regardless, though, that's the play for me. I think I'm in better shape with a miss just right of the green than I am with a 50 or 54 in my hand. Easier up and down.

If there was more trouble to the right, like if the rough was really deep, I would consider laying up. But, that's adding additional facts.

No so much, Strong 4 wood is just my amp cell 3/4 playing at 15 degrees.

Not to get too of topic, but what do you hit your irons in terms of carry?

What's the weather like? If the wind is blowing left to right, definitely taking a crack at the green with 3hybrid or 3 wood to hold my draw up. Otherwise, probably hitting 7 iron and SW.

3 Playing options for me.
Conservative: 8 or 9 iron (depending on wind) to the 100 yard mark, then a 54 or 58 to the green.
Slightly aggressive: Full hybrid, aimed at the right trap, and plan for a draw back towards the green. Would likely be left with a 30 yard pitch to the green.
More aggressive: Full-swing 3 wood, very slightly choked-down grip. Aim at the right trap and plan for a draw. Opportunity to be on the green or right of the green. (Also an opportunity to yank it into the water left :at-wits-end:)

Early in a round, I'm more likely to play the conservative route.

I always thought THP'ers lived for danger. I'm really disappointed in you guys.

Back