A new type of pressure

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
You think the Masters has pressure? Bah.....

Today I joined the local junior 9-hole course and walk out to play a few holes. As I'm getting ready to tee off, up behind me walk an 8-year-old, a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old. I had only taken a couple warm up swings and now I've got to go hit a 9-iron in front of these kids who had obviously been around once and certainly had the look of quality junior golfers.

I was sweating bullets, imagining a pull-hook into the parking lot to the left of the hole. Fortunately, I put a good swing on it and knocked it on. I even got a "good shot" from the 8-year-old. I felt like Jack Nicklaus himself had just congratulated me.

Well done!

wait till the MC with everyone watching and every shot being filmed! you'll be wishing for those kids to be the only ones watching. hahaha

did you tip your cap like in the rory commercial?

That cracked me up man...well done!

wait till the MC with everyone watching and every shot being filmed! you'll be wishing for those kids to be the only ones watching. hahaha

And dont forget JB doing the introductions like a skilled comedian on a Comedy Central Roast!!

Nice one, it's almost as bad as playing your approach shot to the final green with loads of people sat watching you

did u autograph a glove or ball for them?

No matter the age you can always feel the pressure! Well done for sticking it

Haha, that cracked me up Wade. I know I would have shanked the hell out of that shot.

Today I joined the local junior 9-hole course and walk out to play a few holes. As I'm getting ready to tee off, up behind me walk an 8-year-old, a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old. I had only taken a couple warm up swings and now I've got to go hit a 9-iron in front of these kids who had obviously been around once and certainly had the look of quality junior golfers.

I was sweating bullets, imagining a pull-hook into the parking lot to the left of the hole. Fortunately, I put a good swing on it and knocked it on. I even got a "good shot" from the 8-year-old. I felt like Jack Nicklaus himself had just congratulated me.
I can totally understand the pressure you felt, I get that same way when some of my buddies kids join us for a round, it's almost more pressure than tournaments I've been in!

I had a similar moment when I was playing a par-29 course on Sunday. There was a kid who I'd guess was about 13 a couple of holes ahead of me when I started. I caught up with him on the 5th hole because there was a goofball threesome ahead of him that was slowing things down. I had to sweat on the last hole when he put a nice 3w right in the middle of the fairway because that hole usually eats my lunch because of OB both right and left. Fortunately, I hit my own ball in right about the same spot. Whew!

I probably would've let them play through. You've got ice water in your veins.

Nothing like an audience to sharpen the focus! You'll need to get them to follow you around the whole round now!

I probably would've let them play through. You've got ice water in your veins.

This particular par-3 course is designed specifically for junior golfers. So had I let them through, I might have a had a group of pre-teen girls come up behind them.

Back