The Incredible Minivan Thread

Many full size suvs also offer captains seats, and you can ride comfortably knowing you aren't in a mini-van :)
I know. We looked at Suburbans, but the 60k price tag was a quick turnoff.

Add in to the fact that we are looking at a 3 year lease to use while the kids are young, and the fact that most minivans can be leased with $0 down and under $300 a month, and it makes sense.

I guess there comes a time in life when practical makes sense, both in functionality of vehicle and cost savings. Being able to get rid of my car, and drive my Wifes SUV which is nearly paid off, and then lease a 2nd vehicle is a great option. It would put us at 1 car payment, under $300/month.

Leasing a Suburban would be nearly $700/month. I dont have that kind of jack sitting around, but if you want to pay for it and let me drive it, by all means, go ahead.

I know. We looked at Suburbans, but the 60k price tag was a quick turnoff.

Add in to the fact that we are looking at a 3 year lease to use while the kids are young, and the fact that most minivans can be leased with $0 down and under $300 a month, and it makes sense.

I guess there comes a time in life when practical makes sense, both in functionality of vehicle and cost savings. Being able to get rid of my car, and drive my Wifes SUV which is nearly paid off, and then lease a 2nd vehicle is a great option. It would put us at 1 car payment, under $300/month.

Leasing a Suburban would be nearly $700/month. I dont have that kind of jack sitting around, but if you want to pay for it and let me drive it, by all means, go ahead.

LEASE? So no minivan road trips to Ohio??

:yawn:

Pathfinder, flex, traverse? Those all seem to be in the same price range and fuel economy.

LEASE? So no minivan road trips to Ohio??
Nope. Company truck for that one, Deano.
Pathfinder, flex, traverse? Those all seem to be in the same price range and fuel economy.
They are also the same size as the Honda Pilot my wife currently has, that does not fit our needs.

Looked at the pathfinder and it offered no where near the space or features that the minivan does.
Let me ask you this way. You loved your truck and having a truck you said. You went and bought a lil Mazda. Do you feel less manly driving the chick car as you did your truck? :D

Looked at the pathfinder and it offered no where near the space or features that the minivan does.
Let me ask you this way. You loved your truck and having a truck you said. You went and bought a lil Mazda. Do you feel less manly driving the chick car as you did your truck? :D

Maybe a little. But that being said I considered getting something like a Corolla, and couldn't do it. I ended up with a full size sedan with a v6 and manual transmission.

I'm not saying the minivan doesn't fit some people's needs, but I am certainly glad I am not that person.

This thread had me confused with the banter thread.... Non-sense.

Just kidding,

Even though I will never own a minivan, the slide out back doors make them worth it for kids. Otherwise a SUV can accomplish everything else that is needed.

The sliding doors make the task of loading kids, especially when they are in infant carriers or toddler seats, a ton easier. Once they are able to use it a regular booster type seat, it's not such a big deal.

Hey JRod, any knowledge of the manufacturers setting the speedometer on minivans to read 10 mph faster than they're actually going? Or do they have governors to limit their speed? Every time I see someone in a minivan they seem to have trouble doing the speed limit :)

You've obviously never shared the road with me. Our Odyssey has seen triple digits quite a few times and I've been stopped more while driving it than any other vehicle I've driven. That being said, cops do tend to be a bit more linient when I'm in the Odyssey.

JB,
I don't think you could go wrong with the Honda or the Toyota. My wife and I have a 2005 Honday Odyssey and it's been a very good vehicle. We've got close to 130,000 miles on it so far, with about 7 miles per day being on gravel roads. It has been driven hard but hasn't missed a beat.
I was certainly not for getting a minivan when we bought it, but I have no complaints as it's done everything we've asked of it. Our plan is to drive it for at least another couple of years and then maybe get something like a GMC Acadia.

My parents just bought a Minivan to haul around the grandkids since their truck no longer fit all of them. I actually like the minivan as it has a lot of room and is easy to get in and out of. They bought the Chrysler Town and Country and man is that thing loaded it also has where you can open the back hatch and turn the back seat around to tailgate in. I have a feeling I'm going to borrow it sometime for a football game and see how functional it is.

Also my wife will never let me buy a mini-van I think she hates it more then some guys on here.

Hi, the Honda Odyssey, with a built in vacuum. Great way to get the grass clipping from your golf shoes out of the carpet.
Also, great guy car. My friends like the reclining rear bucket seats. Also, gets better mileage than my diesel.

With a second little one on the way to join my 2 year old, I am guessing the next car is likely a minivan.

Just looking at the pictures online, it appears that there is a large console between the back seat that will prevent the dogs from walking around as well in the Odyssey as they could in the Sienna. If that is the case, I would be looking more at the Sienna as it appears that they would have more room to move around.

Just looking at the pictures online, it appears that there is a large console between the back seat that will prevent the dogs from walking around as well in the Odyssey as they could in the Sienna. If that is the case, I would be looking more at the Sienna as it appears that they would have more room to move around.

I don't know about the newest models, but on ours, the front console folds up and the back seat/console is easily removeable.

Odyssey Touring owner here. Well it's the wife's and kids ride. But they love it. Would buy it again.

With 4 boys under 5 it does the job very well. Make sure you get DVD & Navi.

I want an M-Series, AMG, or V-Series Wagon. Or find an old big body and restore it with full modern comforts. I couldn't do a van, I think, but of I've seen some pretty nice vans. And I think the vacuum in the Odyssey is awesome.

Got a Kia Sedona earlier this year and we're happy with it. We tried like hell to justify an SUV with a 3rd row, and after weighing all the options it was an easy decision. Literally, the only thing holding us back was the soccer mom stigma and not being crazy about the style. Price, practicality, usability, and comfort trumped the looks for us.

Theres a part of me that wants a Honda Odyssey. I love my Camry and will likely end up with an Accord for my next car (being that I work at a Honda plant, I cant see myself not buying a Honda) but minivans are pretty sweet. My fiance is strongly opposed to a minivan though. Not that she doesnt think minivans are nice, she is just so opposed to the whole suburban soccer mom stigma of a minivan. I often tell her though that her Ford Escape isnt too far from a minivan...

3LGXt20.jpg

556HP Supercharged CTS-V Wagon.

Theres a part of me that wants a Honda Odyssey. I love my Camry and will likely end up with an Accord for my next car (being that I work at a Honda plant, I cant see myself not buying a Honda) but minivans are pretty sweet. My fiance is strongly opposed to a minivan though. Not that she doesnt think minivans are nice, she is just so opposed to the whole suburban soccer mom stigma of a minivan. I often tell her though that her Ford Escape isnt too far from a minivan...

That's exactly where the boat my wife was in, but once we realized how much easier it makes everything we got over it.

All that being said, I draw the line at the Stick Figure Family Stickers. Not having it!

I just can't see myself in a minivan. I think it has a lot to do with the junk we had in our rental fleet back when I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car. My wife knows this, and I think she's on the same page as me. Is easier to get the kids in and out, yes. Does it get better MPG, yes. As of right now I just have two kids, and my wife drives a 2012 Ford Explorer with a folding 3rd row that we have only used maybe 4 times. I love how that handles and rides, and it's four wheel drive is helpful in bad weather. There are pros and cons for both sides, but if it's MY vote...you can keep your kidwagon, because unless I'm a traveling salesman and NEED to have a van, then it's not for me.
On a side note, I wouldn't take a Flex either...to boxy, and I work at a Ford dealership...but that's the closest thing to a minivan that Ford has.

It is possible to be invisible. Just by a minivan and any man driving it is completely invisible to women.

Back