Dude the sustain is killer, all the extra weight makes a difference in tone. If you can find a good deal on a Les Paul traditional, I recommend it.

I owned a 335 for many years, it's a pretty versatile instrument. I sold it because my tone was more consistent with my les Paul. I am currently looking to buy a 339, imagine the body and tone of a 335, in the size of a Les Paul

C'mon Satch....what do I know about tone and stuff like that? I'm a drummer for gawd sakes ! :laughing:

C'mon Satch....what do I know about tone and stuff like that? I'm a drummer for gawd sakes ! :laughing:

Haha, can you tell the difference between a maple drumkit and a laminate one? I bet you can! :)

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't hit it with a stick, it ain't worth a dang thing ! :laughing:

Oh yea, huge difference.

That's basically the difference between playing an epiphone Les Paul and a Gibson Les Paul, the epi uses laminate and the Gibson uses solid maple, gotta love the tone.

To this day I wish I hadn't sold the 335 though :(

I need a drumset again. One instrument I wish I still had.

I was thinking about putting Lace sensor pickups in my strat:
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_482397.002_white.jpg

Has anyone tried them?

I played the Lace's for a while when I had a strat, thy are nice pickups but the vintage noiseless are a much better pickup I think, they're a little rawer and less contained but with no noise, YouTube some vids and check a bunch of pickups, there are some great makers out there.

Go down to your nearest music store, get a tube amp like a blackstar and blast the Les Paul you fancy and fall in love with the tone

Yeah, I'm afraid if I do that though I'll instantly be about $4k poorer hahaha

Yeah, I'm afraid if I do that though I'll instantly be about $4k poorer hahaha

Hahah yeah, a good option is musicians friend they offer 12 months no interest on everything if you get their card. I've bought a ton of stuff I needed that way

Newest axe

Tom petty signature 12 string Rickenbacker

So sweet to play

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756677.532667.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756699.116515.jpg

Still finishing the studio....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756791.000757.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756819.133068.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756838.632755.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756875.321781.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389756939.983129.jpg

I sing... praise team and specials at church... used to do oprys around town... various bands/projects in the past. Now I just play around with GarageBand on the MacBook...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sing... praise team and specials at church... used to do oprys around town... various bands/projects in the past. Now I just play around with GarageBand on the MacBook...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too, I was the worship director for the largest church in southern New Mexico for 5 years, it was really interesting. Now I'm just about to start my phd so I don't play as much as I used to. I used to be playing and practicing 12-18 hours a week.

Hey guys I think I'm going to head to my local pawn shop and see if I can pick up a simple guitar cheap, something to learn on.

But I know next to nothing about playing it, is there any place you guys know of online, YouTube, or whatever that is good at teaching the basics, like drill, and how to strum and play? Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

There are tremendous resources online as well as forums for it. Be careful buying a cheap guitar sometimes you think you're getting a deal and it's really not, check out ebay for deals on epiphone les pauls, ESP ltd models, PRS SE models and some Charvels and Jacksons. I'm a pretty big fan of the Epiphone les pauls you can usually find one for a couple hundred bucks if that's in your budget.

Tons of free lessons on YouTube.

Stay away from pawn shops unless you bring a good player with you. I recommend buying a good brand name acoustic. Taylor, Gibson, Laravie and try to spend at least $1000. It will be playable and have resale value if you want to upgrade or decide you do not want to play.

Epiphone Les Pauls suck, BTW. I won one at a golf outing and wound up donating it.

Hey guys I think I'm going to head to my local pawn shop and see if I can pick up a simple guitar cheap, something to learn on.

But I know next to nothing about playing it, is there any place you guys know of online, YouTube, or whatever that is good at teaching the basics, like drill, and how to strum and play? Thanks.

Must have gotten a bad one ;)

My Epi LP was fine for starting out, but they're not great. The intonation is not good on mine anymore, used to be fine but it didn't last. And the neck pickup sounds like balls.

The PRS SE Custom 24 that I just picked up used is freaking great, btw, so I second Trout and highly recommend that instrument. New they're like $650, which TBH is a really solid price for what you get, but I got mine for $400 used and it has aftermarket pickups in it that are just outstanding (not sure what brand, they're unmarked). The thing plays like butter and is gorgeous. The only minor issue I have with it sometimes is that fret buzz can sneak in from time to time when I play it hard, but all that would take to remedy is to raise the action a hair, I've just been too lazy to do it yet haha :angel:

Hmm, I don't know if I want an electric or a acoustic.

I was leaning more toward acoustic just because I've been on a country fling. Country sounds a bit easier to play.

Hmm, I don't know if I want an electric or a acoustic.

I was leaning more toward acoustic just because I've been on a country fling. Country sounds a bit easier to play.

What's your budget?

Hmm not a lot maybe 500 max.
I get that you always want to buy quality, but I don't want to put a ton of money into it right now, I want to make sure it's something I really want to do.

I've always wanted a electric guitar, but I sing country better haha, and I like country. Like I said it set easier to play, though I dream of nailing sweet child of mines intro, or rocking to free bird, nailing the intro to walk. Haha

Back