Does sliding cause an inside out swing

Smilesy

Reaction score
Handicap
The reason I ask is that I’ve always had a massive slide in my swing which I’m finally starting to get under control. This has also helped me steepen my angle of attack a bit, I used to come in very flat and struggled with inconsistent ball striking and that has improved noticeably.

Another change that has occurred is that I’m now swinging slightly outside to in, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it’s a big change as I’ve always gone inside to out and hit draws or sometime blocks. I’m wondering if this could be caused by the reduction of my slide, or if its unrelated to that.

Also here is a video of a recent swing of mine with a 4 wood. It started just right of centre (where I was aiming) and faded into the right rough, not a far as the trees though. Not really a bad shot but I have to get used to aiming down the left, not the right.

Feel free to give me feedback.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, but it looks like your body (shoulders/hips) is rotating faster than everything else which could cause the out-to-in path. I know I struggle with the exact same thing and I just need to remember to stop turning my shoulders/hips so fast. Again, I am no expert :D

Yes, it does. It's what I struggled with the most when I first started playing. Sliding your hips causes the right shoulder to dip to stay behind the ball, causing the path to go to the inside. That causes massive hooks. However, I don't see it that much in your swing, it could be something. Maybe a FO video would help.

Sliding as in hips moving towards target on downswing will create more spine tilt which will make you more inside out. If you get to the top and just unwind without and lateral motion of the hips towards the target that will promote more of an over the top move.

Nice swing though!

Only thing I could adjust is your width at the top. You get slightly narrow with your left arm a little too collapsed across your chest. Fix that by gently extending your right arm throughout the swing. It will give you more width, keep the triangle in front of your chest better and a more consistent strike due to the arc being more constant.

Gotta say, that looked like a pretty nice swing to me.

Only thing I could adjust is your width at the top. You get slightly narrow with your left arm a little too collapsed across your chest. Fix that by gently extending your right arm throughout the swing. It will give you more width, keep the triangle in front of your chest better and a more consistent strike due to the arc being more constant.

I'm kind of confused by this. Could you explain it a little further?

I'm kind of confused by this. Could you explain it a little further?

Pause that at the top of Adam's swing around 9 seconds in. Now pause the OP's (original poster) video at the top of his. You'll notice Adam's right elbow is bent less than 90 degrees and the OP's right elbow is bent significantly further than 90 degrees. So Adam would be defined as wide, and OP is narrow.

So to address this issue the OP should just feel an extension feeling in his right arm throughout the swing. This will give a more synced up swing and a lot more consistent width of arc. So if you imagine the arc around impact it would come in at a much more shallow angle like a U compared to coming down with more of a V shape. So more width, shallower angle of attack, better sync = better ballstriking, larger margin for error and more speed/efficiency.

edit: think of the arc as a line traced on the clubhead throughout the swing from a face on/caddy view.

Pause that at the top of Adam's swing around 9 seconds in. Now pause the OP's (original poster) video at the top of his. You'll notice Adam's right elbow is bent less than 90 degrees and the OP's right elbow is bent significantly further than 90 degrees. So Adam would be defined as wide, and OP is narrow.

So to address this issue the OP should just feel an extension feeling in his right arm throughout the swing. This will give a more synced up swing and a lot more consistent width of arc. So if you imagine the arc around impact it would come in at a much more shallow angle like a U compared to coming down with more of a V shape. So more width, shallower angle of attack, better sync = better ballstriking, larger margin for error and more speed/efficiency.

edit: think of the arc as a line traced on the clubhead throughout the swing from a face on/caddy view.

I think I am still very confused. When I look at the OP's swing at the top and AS's, the OP's right arm is not at 90*. While Adam's looks like it is further than 90.

The elbow angle. Op's is bent like 110 degrees...you never want to get past 90. So imagine if you took the op in your pic at the top...just get him to straighten his right arm some. His hands would move more out in front of his body and his shoulders would turn more giving him more width.

The elbow angle. Op's is bent like 110 degrees...you never want to get past 90. So imagine if you took the op in your pic at the top...just get him to straighten his right arm some. His hands would move more out in front of his body and his shoulders would turn more giving him more width.

Meaning the angle created from the bicep and the forearm...the more one's wrist is toward the target - or the closer your forearm is to your bicep - the more 'closed' you are. Right?

Or maybe saying it another way, if you were looking at them straight on Adam's hands at the top are at @11pm on a face dial whereas the OP's hands are closer to 12. Is that what you mean?

I'm still confused about the 110* part. If I hold my right arm in front of me and make a 90* bend with upper arm and forearm, then move my hand closer to my head, my arm in now less than 90*. I am still trying to figure this out, because your tip sounds really good. I just want to interpret it correctly.

Yes, it does. It's what I struggled with the most when I first started playing. Sliding your hips causes the right shoulder to dip to stay behind the ball, causing the path to go to the inside. That causes massive hooks. However, I don't see it that much in your swing, it could be something. Maybe a FO video would help.

He's saying that he doesn't slide anymore, and causing out to in.

I'm still confused about the 110* part. If I hold my right arm in front of me and make a 90* bend with upper arm and forearm, then move my hand closer to my head, my arm in now less than 90*. I am still trying to figure this out, because your tip sounds really good. I just want to interpret it correctly.

You two are measuring from opposite sides of the protractor...he means that your arm straight out is 0* and you are saying 180* is straight out

You two are measuring from opposite sides of the protractor...he means that your arm straight out is 0* and you are saying 180* is straight out

That is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to assume.

This has me wondering how much my right arm is bending...going to have to swing in the mirror when I get home from work to find out. Seems like an easy fix if your arm is bent too much.

Thanks for all the comments. I think Wongstongs is right about my hips and shoulders spinning too fast. I'm working with a zenolink coach at the moment and from the data he's connected that's the next thing for me to work on after trying to fix my slide.
I know March is right as well, I do get a too narrow at the top, my coach has also noted that, but doesn't really want me to worry about it until I've sorted out my core movement.

Interestingly enough I walked in the door and turned on Golf Channel which was nearing the end of a segment on School of Golf where they were reviewing a user video. The commentary was about making an L with the back arm at the top in order to create space which will improve ball striking and give us more distance.

First off nice swing. Second I'd let marcH work on my swing anyday, he has a wealth of knowledge. Third, feel like your pushing the club away from you as you get past your hip (building on marcH assessment) this will create the width he spoke off. Keep you right arm straight if it breaks down at the elbow you swing too far. Operate behind the ball. Meaning turn back through the ball but keep you body behind it. Don't hang back just turn behind it instead of In front and you will get rid of the push. This is my biggest issue, block rights because I get my body slight in front and the club doesn't clear.

I think I am still very confused. When I look at the OP's swing at the top and AS's, the OP's right arm is not at 90*. While Adam's looks like it is further than 90.

I can defiantly see the difference in the right elbow angle in this image. One of the drills I've been given is while looking at a mirror starting with the club a 90* ahead of where the ball would be and then swing back to the top and stopping and checking I'm in the right position. I've been given it to work on my core separation (which is terrible in the image above, my hips have rotated far too far, Scott's is perfect), but I can also start to check my arm position.

I can defiantly see the difference in the right elbow angle in this image. One of the drills I've been given is while looking at a mirror starting with the club a 90* ahead of where the ball would be and then swing back to the top and stopping and checking I'm in the right position. I've been given it to work on my core separation (which is terrible in the image above, my hips have rotated far too far, Scott's is perfect), but I can also start to check my arm position.

I don't know, I think your position is ok. The elbow that MarcH spoke of is evident and you should address it for sure. And that's a great catch MarcH!! In the screen captures above, you're alignment is closed or your aiming in the trees vs Adam's where he's aligned at the gap in the trees in the background. I think you maybe should do an alignment check to be sure your lining-up where your intended target is. I think I read earlier that you were aiming right-center of the fairway? In the shot above, you're right of that or you've closed your stance. If you're trying to hit a baby fade you shouldn't close the stance, you're double-crossing in your setup.

And don't beat yourself up, you have a great swing..impact looks nice. A little more width will give the triangle (arms, hands, shoulder girdle) more stability and it will react faster when the rest of your body moves.

This has me wondering how much my right arm is bending...going to have to swing in the mirror when I get home from work to find out. Seems like an easy fix if your arm is bent too much.
right arm bending too much? or the right elbow closer to the body at the top of your backswing compare to Adam Scott swing?
if you are worried about that then check out Matt Kuchar's swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fU_Emoh4E
what it really matters is how you come down. and like Arnie said and says "swing your swing"

Last edited:
I am no expert but looking at the two photos the bigger difference is the legs. You don't have much knee bend. As a matter of fact your right leg looks pretty straight at the top. Look at the difference this makes in your shoulder angle vs. Adam. His shoulders are a lot flatter than yours are, his hips are too.
This more likely accounts for the arm bend than anything else. The other thing it lets you do is over rotate your hips and loose separation in your hip and shoulder turn. Look where your left hip is compared to Adam's at the top. I would think you are getting back on your right leg but because there is no flex its hard to get back off it. For me this leads to me not getting off my right side and having to manipulate things to get through the bottom as it leaves me stuck getting through and I leave the face open at the bottom.

just read through these posts as this is something I struggle dearly with and my good buddy freddie pointed it out to me again in a video of my crappy swing from a range session yesterday. Going to keep these suggestions in mind when working on the range and hopefully rid myself of all of these inside out toe jobs

Back