2012 Morgan Cup Recap Thread

agree with Erik here. i think my game had peaked right around the right time, and is slowly on the decline now...hate to say that, cuz i love "fall golf", but it is also not as frequent as it was earlier this year. and Howzat will tell me that i'm just downplaying my game! lol
but yeah, post MC2 golf is just blah...i go out and try to enjoy, but no dice. maybe tomorrow night, some good ol' fashioned league night competition will get me back into it.

Sandbagger!

I feel like my prep time hasn't been the same since The Morgan Cup has ended as well, but even when I am out there now I feel like I'm already prepping for next year because I am already so excited! Its never too early to start prepping, right?

I honestly hope we hear from some of the other guys that were in the event.

I will have mine in soon, sorry for the delay dude.

I will have mine in soon, sorry for the delay dude.

It's all good man...take your time for the Smalls special to be made!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Like others, going out is just not the same immediately following the event. Had not thought about it in that way but I may have also peaked just at the right time like Tyler said. No way to plan that.....just happens.

Miss all of you guys and laughing my a$$ off all day but thankfully have the Iowa trip to look forward to......and possibly a few more recap thoughts in this thread to read/watch.

I feel like my prep time hasn't been the same since The Morgan Cup has ended as well, but even when I am out there now I feel like I'm already prepping for next year because I am already so excited! Its never too early to start prepping, right?
That's exactly right buddy. Instead of waiting until next spring to start the prep work, why not just never stop the prep work? This just once again makes me realize just how lucky we are to be able to know a full year in advance that we're playing in the Morgan Cup next year. I suspect the 9 of us already know we're back next year will come to the 2013 event playing even better than before. Jeez....I better get to work on strategizing a plan to try to slow down the Chunky Juggernauts known as Team Hackers!

Jake don't worry dude. Just follow your instincts and then do the opposite buddy.

This goes to Jake, and well anyone else who wants to answer it.

What did you think about the way the matchups were set this year as opposed to last years? Would you be in favor of doing it the same way again?

What did you think about the way the matchups were set this year as opposed to last years? Would you be in favor of doing it the same way again?
I really liked how it was done this year and would definitely be in favor of that going forward. Especially with 3 teams, I don't see a way we could do it any other way really. Sure you could have each captain take turns putting a match together but I'm not sure how that would go. The way it was this year worked really well, even in singles we didn't see any complete blow outs this way. Well other than Cookie....he killed both the guys he played, but he's a machine.

I liked them, but I also got some pretty competitive draws.

I really liked how it was done this year and would definitely be in favor of that going forward. Especially with 3 teams, I don't see a way we could do it any other way really. Sure you could have each captain take turns putting a match together but I'm not sure how that would go. The way it was this year worked really well, even in singles we didn't see any complete blow outs this way. Well other than Cookie....he killed both the guys he played, but he's a machine.

I liked them, but I also got some pretty competitive draws.

I liked how it was done too. I think we saw some really good matches that we may not have seen if we tried to manipulate them. Plus as you saw the year before, you can try to plan for good matches and they just don't develop. With 24 people and 3 teams that was going to be hard to do. This just made it equally fair throughout. Also as a captain you can put together teams that you want to see and nobody can say no.

That's exactly right buddy. Instead of waiting until next spring to start the prep work, why not just never stop the prep work? This just once again makes me realize just how lucky we are to be able to know a full year in advance that we're playing in the Morgan Cup next year. I suspect the 9 of us already know we're back next year will come to the 2013 event playing even better than before. Jeez....I better get to work on strategizing a plan to try to slow down the Chunky Juggernauts known as Team Hackers!

Did yoou just say slow down and Chunky in the same sentence. hehehe

Props to Hawk because what he did to me was a blow out, but I was so happy to see him playing so well that it did not even bother me.

I think the closeness of the final score showed that it was a pretty good way to do it. I think the captains should decide which spot they are going out in for the final day ahead of time though.

I think the closeness of the final score showed that it was a pretty good way to do it. I think you the captains should decide which spot they are going out in for the final day though.

Chunky and I had an epic captains match!

Chunky and I had an epic captains match!

Yea you did and the match with JB/Tyno/Seth was very good too. I still think a captains match should be out there though.

Hawk: I will be honest, going into it I did not like it. Had nothing to do with my draws as I think each match I was in was competitive going into it. I say I did not like it because I thought there were going to be some big blowouts and I would prefer to see great matches.

With that said, boy was I ever dead wrong. To overuse the term "on paper", it meant absolutely nothing because once the golf started, it was anyone's match to win and that is evident by looking back at the results.

With all that said, I would enjoy seeing the same format used going into next year!

Yes, I ate crow big time on this subject.

Hawk: I will be honest, going into it I did not like it. Had nothing to do with my draws as I think each match I was in was competitive going into it. I say I did not like it because I thought there were going to be some big blowouts and I would prefer to see great matches.

With that said, boy was I ever dead wrong. To overuse the term "on paper", it meant absolutely nothing because once the golf started, it was anyone's match to win and that is evident by looking back at the results.

With all that said, I would enjoy seeing the same format used going into next year!

Yes, I ate crow big time on this subject.

Cookie I think a lot of people thought that way when it was announced. It was something we talked about prior to the announcement. But when it comes down to it, you can never guarantee a good match. You are right about one thing, on paper means absolutely nothing.

Even Morgan chimed in with a you guys are gonna get killed type of comment in the match Bradd and I played with JB and Jake. I am pretty sure nobody thought it would be close let alone halved. That's why you play the games.

yorkem;1568396[B said:
]Even Morgan chimed in with a you guys are gonna get killed [/B]type of comment in the match Bradd and I played with JB and Jake. I am pretty sure nobody thought it would be close let alone halved. That's why you play the games.

lol that was really funny.

This would be difficult to do with 3 teams, but I think that it would be cool for the pairings to be done next year in a live-stream format like the President's Cup. One captain puts up their pairing, and then another captain responds to that pairing with their team. I think it would make the matches even more competitive.

Absolutely. I thought it put more emphasis on the team pairings and where you wanted to send off guys for the singles matches. The only thing I would change is a guaranteed captains match.

This would be difficult to do with 3 teams, but I think that it would be cool for the pairings to be done next year in a live-stream format like the President's Cup. One captain puts up their pairing, and then another captain responds to that pairing with their team. I think it would make the matches even more competitive.

I know we discussed it but it was going to be difficult. I know we might have been able to make it work if all 3 captains were at the outing but that wasn't the case.

Neat idea, Ary.

like the way it was done this year. i think the blind draw puts a little bit of strategy in the captains court, as well as some responsibility of each player on the team letting the captain know their strengths and weaknesses, so they can decide where they should put them.
*woops! did i just give away Team Hacker's secret plan?!*

but seriously, i think the blind draw yielded more close matches than blow-outs and that was a great feature this year in that, pretty much every match was close in one way or another. so FWIW, i enjoyed the way it was done.

although, if ****** puts me at the anchor in every match again...i'm joining Team Paradise.

Back