Augusta National admits first female members

Two women deserving of the distinction.

Secretary Rice also has the honor of being the first female NSA. She didn't luck into these positions, she is an incredibly bright and sophisticated woman. I've seen the way (through television coverage) that she handles herself during senate/congressional committees and hearing, so i'm sure their membership interview went swimmingly.

Put me in the "meh" category. I always admired them for sticking to their guns and doing whatever they wanted. It's fine if they do or don't want female members. If they wanted humans with only 3 limbs that would be fine. Like others have stated, I hope they didn't do this out of some sort of veiled threat or pressure from somewhere.
This is how I feel about the whole thing. It has no real effect on my everyday life and when I mentioned it to my wife she gave me a strange look and moved on. Not the 'female power' type of response I thought something this big would get.

I have to think there will be more and more ladies added over the years. What do they do for facilities for them to use?

It's only big if they make a comedy movie about it. Or is the subject to political to be touched by Hollywood? I figure if they can make a movie about a guy that fakes mental illness to compete in the special Olympics, then nothing is off limits as far as Hollywood is concerned.

If they don't make a movie, surely SNL will take a stab at it.

They were going to have to let in some women some time, with today's changing world and that.

Oh, well, hey Augusta, I like women too. Big deal.

I've been listening to various radio spots on this all day. Good for AN and the two ladies. Just curious if either will actually play the grand course. I wold have thought Cindy Davis wold have been a good choice but maybe there is conflict of interest since she heads up Nike.

Women have been playing at Augusta for years, just haven't been members. This is a non-issue for me. If they want to have female members, than they should have them. If they wanted an all-male membership, than that is fine too.

I will never join Augusta National now. Guess I will have to find a new dream club to join.

I like this move. I just feel like it is tough to have exclusive membership in 2012 at a course that hosts a major. If they didn't host a major, it would be a big deal to me.

I think it is cool Augusta National started allowing female members. I would always stick up for Augusta National in the past when they were being criticized for not being inclusive to women. The owners/members of a private establishment should be the ones to make choices like that.

I wonder if the new members get hazed, like they make them cook their meals, or do their laundry? :act-up: :angel::silly:

i kid, i kid

About darned time! Congrats to Dr. Rice!

While I think it's long past time for this, I wonder if either of these women play and/or play well. I would've almost preferred a couple of the women pros be the first, but what do I know?

While I think it's long past time for this, I wonder if either of these women play and/or play well. I would've almost preferred a couple of the women pros be the first, but what do I know?

Someone posted earlier that Condi carries a 16 index, so she can play a little bit.

I was not aware that Virginia Rometty was the first IBM CEO not to be made a member of Augusta. IBM is a huge sponsor and they stood their ground. Interesting to say the least

About time. and they covered all angles by having Rice get in as well.

I saw this said somewhere else: now this opens the door ever so slightly on the possibility of augusta hosting a women's us open. that would be wild

I thought Augusta National had a policy against discussing its members?

Anyway, our long national nightmare is now over. Our lives have been improved immeasurably now that two exceedingly wealthy women have joined an exclusive club previously reserved for exceedingly wealthy men. My wife is absolutely on Cloud 9 over this news.

Absolutely. Our lives are forever changed. LMAO

Great day for both golf and Augusta National. Dr Rice is well known, powerful, intelligent, she has a pretty robust golf game. Ms Moore has been recognized by Fortune 500 most powerful women, has given back to academia with large grants to university of South Carolina, and Clemson University. I'm sure in time other women will join the ranks of there august membership. The timing of this was well done, with the Masters being the next major it clears the air prior to the start of the annual homage we all pay to such an amazing event. Well done and well deserved

I'm a total noob here but this was an interesting enough thread for me to make my first (I think) post in. I mirror 99% of the sentiment here. It's a private club and if they want all the members to shave reverse mohawks into their heads and die their hair blue to play the course, it's fine by me. The government shouldn't discriminate ever, that is how genocide happens. Private enterprise however should remain just that, private. Like it or not, that's part of freedom.

That said, I applaud Augusta if they did this of their own free will and I detest them if they caved to some random pressure and did it for brownie points. Secretary Rice makes for one hell of a first female member, I'm not overly familiar with the other lady myself though.

How can I not add my thoughts to this thread!

To be totally honest, I don't have any issue with any private club picking and choosing who they want as members. But Augusta National is an exception, by their own fault. It's the host of the biggest major in golf and they have been trying to pioneer efforts to grow golf through a variety of channels. But the efforts come across diluted when the club that is trying to engage in growing golf doesn't allow women members, the fastest growing segment in golf! Listen, I don't think there is going to be a line of women driving down Magnolia Lane trying to gain membership. Nor will it have any impact on [women's] golf. It's still a highly exclusive club with, I am sure, a laundry list of criterion to qualify for membership. The only difference is you can be a woman. Most people think that this is the first time a woman will be able to play Augusta, which isn't true. Women can play Augusta as a guest. Yes, there is a ladies locker room and forward tees. There have been many women who have played it including Nancy Lopez and several other women. Plus, I am glad they admitted 2 women at the same time to avoid labeling her as 'the first'.

Although, I do find it funny that the men who are against it [or outraged by it] will never be members at the club, besides, I am sure Augusta Members were part of the decision process. So I find it funny any man really cares, it doesn't impact them ... besides, you still have Pine Valley ... for now :)

Back