Novice question about handicap

dietDrThunder

Reaction score
Handicap
physics
I played approx. 20 years ago for a couple of years, and got to where I was in the mid-90's regularly...I think I broke 90 two or three times at the most. then I moved on to other things, and didn't come back to playing until late last summer. As difficult as it is to believe, I'm even worse now. I've broken 100 I think 3 times, but have improved steadily but in tiny increments.

I would like to keep a handicap if only to track my progress and maybe be better prepared to play in the odd charity event or what have you. Am I too terrible still to even start thinking about this? If so, what should my rough average score be before I start to think about keeping a handicap?

Thanks!

Dave,

Absolutely no restriction on keeping a handicap. You don't have to be of any particular ability level.

Since you're in the Nashville area, you may be interested in using http://myscorecard.com. If you do so, you can join the "Nashville Newbies" club and get an official USGA handicap. The site only costs $12.95 per year. It's what I use and I've been quite happy with it.

Another option is to join the Tennessee Golf Association. If you do, you'll be able to get a USGA handicap and use the GHIN system. It's $30 a year, but has several other benefits:

http://www.golfhousetennessee.com/Primary-Nav-Pages/Membership/Join-the-TGA-2688.html

Finally, there are several free sites such as OOB golf, but those will not provide you with an official USGA handicap.

In my opinion, establishing and tracking a handicap is a big step in improving your game. Not only can you begin to set goals, you can enjoy playing against your buddies of varying skill levels. As long as you are somewhat consistently keeping the ball in play, and playing by the rules of golf, ie. proper drops, penalties, etc., when you don't, I don't see any negatives, only positives.

Wade - perfect...thanks! I just signed up and entered my last scorecard into it. I have to be invited to join the group though...

JL - thanks for that...ya I'm not a foot wedge guy...I actually count my strokes :) I play alone a lot, so I end up with other folks pretty often. I wish I had $1 for every time my ball was on a tight lie of some sort and the person I was with busted out the old "put it on some grass" I just offer a non-committal 'nah' and hit my ball.

Wade - perfect...thanks! I just signed up and entered my last scorecard into it. I have to be invited to join the group though...

I don't remember the process. If I recall, if you request to join the club, one of the club administrators will see it and act on it within a few days. If that's not how it works, let me know and I can get in touch with them.

It is real easy to do your handicap in an excel file. All you need to know is the course slope and rating. Until you get to 20 rounds - you have to tweak the formula

Hey man, I am where you are. I use OOB to calculate mine. I have broken 100 three times as well and my handicap is 25.0- yours is probably similar, unless you play super tough or super easy courses

Mine is 29.1 right now (ouch) but I'm looking for a precipitous drop in short order...have been making strides! Also, two of the first three rounds I played after deciding to keep track were extraordinarily terrible. I am glad I asked this question...it really gives me goals to shoot for going forward. Thanks for the replies!

I use an app called Easy Scorecard on my android phone - it is a little bit awkward in that you have to enter all of the details for the course (hole length/par/stroke index/SSS) but once that is done you just enter the round details and it will calculate your handicap

It gives the option for USGA, EGA or CONGU handicap systems so I am assuming you could use it to calculate your handicap

Back