Playing partners/ Attitudes???

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you have to play with people that are either slow as hell or have terrible attitudes? As of late, it seems I have been "lucky" enough to been matched with this type of player. For the last 6 or 7 holes of our club championship yesterday, I heard more of "this game sucks", we may as well go back in and drink", we all suck", and on and on.. It got so bad I was a heartbeat from telling them to go.....

I have learned to tune (or try to) this stuff out but it does make for a long day.. How many other of you folks deal with this?

:drinks:

dont golf with too many slow people, but a few guys have serious attitude issues. Don't get me swong, I take the game serious and am as competitive as the next guy, but throwing hissy fits when something goes wrong just baffles me. To me, its just not worth getting worked up over.

Think we've all had to deal with someone who falls under that category of playing partner. I personally don't get bothered by it all that much. It doesn't make for the perfect round, but try not to let it ruin my round either.

Sent from my HTC One X

In 2013 I am turning over a new leaf to only golf with THPers. By doing so I know I will not have to deal with the bad attitudes thing. Those that have played with me know, that I only care about one thing on the golf course. That everybody around me has a great time. Nothing else matters to me.

Not so much a bad attitude on the course, but I have one buddy who thinks he needs to drink the well dry every time he hits the course. It's bad, to the point I've quit playing with him. By the turn he's slurring his words and takes forever to pull the trigger on a shot. By the end of the round he's just embarrassing.

I don't go to the course for a big downer, I want things fun, relaxed and positive.

Bad attitudes on a golf course? Get out!

I try to make light of bad golf. If I lip a putt I will usually say, "I hate this game." Then when I make a putt I say, "I love golf, it's easy."

I have also learned, that if you let other people bother you on the course (or in life in general), you will never be able to be yourself.

I tend to get paired up with some slow golfers, but for the most part all of them have a pretty good attitude. I used to have a rotten attitude on the course, but then I realized that I was just out there to have fun, so most of the time that's all I care about now. I know that every time I have teed it up with a member of THP I have had an enjoyable round

In 2013 I am turning over a new leaf to only golf with THPers. By doing so I know I will not have to deal with the bad attitudes thing. Those that have played with me know, that I only care about one thing on the golf course. That everybody around me has a great time. Nothing else matters to me.

You sure speed isn't semi-important JB? hehe

During the summer I play as a single because I have off during the week and none of my friends do. At my home course there is one guy that I absolutely will no longer play with because of his attitude. I'll pass on my tee time for a later one if I get to the course and find out I'm playing with him. He plays a lot and around the same time I like to play so it's happened where I asked the starter to help me out and find me a different tee time. Thankfully the people at my course know me and help me out. But this guy not only has attitude but took it out on me the one time I played with him. Started yelling at me and blaming me for him playing bad. I don't need some guy I don't know redirecting his anger at me because he stinks at golf and is losing money to his playing partner. When I play golf I want to enjoy my round and playing with this guy makes it impossible.

As for slow players, I've gotten used to slow play. I play at public courses that are crowded and whether it's someone in my group or someone ahead of me, there's bound to be slow play somewhere. I don't let slow players ruin my day.

How many of you have to play with people that are either slow as hell or have terrible attitudes? As of late, it seems I have been "lucky" enough to been matched with this type of player. For the last 6 or 7 holes of our club championship yesterday, I heard more of "this game sucks", we may as well go back in and drink", we all suck", and on and on.. It got so bad I was a heartbeat from telling them to go.....

I have learned to tune (or try to) this stuff out but it does make for a long day.. How many other of you folks deal with this?

I had this exact problem in my club championship and team championships, people either take it way too serious or don't even have the common decency to learn my name. During the finals match in the club championship my opponent kept calling me by the wrong name the whole match, it drove me nuts!!!

You sure speed isn't semi-important JB? hehe

I have never really had an issue with the speed in my own group. I know it sounds weird, but I can harass people enough to pick up the pace. I play what some would call fast golf as was seen in the streaming coverage of the MC, but I know very few that play at my pace. Its those pesky groups in front of me that ruin it. :D

Then there's the other side of the coin where you end up playing with guys who have a great time by drinking a 12 pack of beer and smoking dope during the round. I guess given the choice between the two groups I'd choose the partyers over the bad attitudes, but I don't care much for either. Hitting a pured forged 4 iron to a 210 yard par 3 over water and sticking it 10 feet is a way better "high" to me than the booze or dope can provide.

I just dont let this kind of stuff bother me. Yesterday I did a bit of networking on the course and the two guys I was paired with were GREAT guys. I really enjoy getting paired with random people as sometimes they are the best rounds. The guys I played with yesterday had a vast knowledge of the course and gave me an experience I wouldnt have had otherwise.

Then there's the other side of the coin where you end up playing with guys who have a great time by drinking a 12 pack of beer and smoking dope during the round. I guess given the choice between the two groups I'd choose the partyers over the bad attitudes, but I don't care much for either. Hitting a pured forged 4 iron to a 210 yard par 3 over water and sticking it 10 feet is a way better "high" to me than the booze or dope can provide.

Awe man, if you told me it was a cast 4 iron, I was there with you till the end. :D

I think that attitudes are contagious. Someone with a bad one can infect an entire group and make them all miserable. Of course, a positive one can be just as infectious.

Some bad attitudes are beyond help.

In a tournament atmosphere, where you're paired with the competition, I'm sure it's different.

I have never really had an issue with the speed in my own group. I know it sounds weird, but I can harass people enough to pick up the pace. I play what some would call fast golf as was seen in the streaming coverage of the MC, but I know very few that play at my pace. Its those pesky groups in front of me that ruin it. :D

Need a, "Playing Lessons with JB" book.

Chapter 1: You Snooze, You Lose

Sent from my HTC One X

I think that attitudes are contagious. Someone with a bad one can infect an entire group and make them all miserable. Of course, a positive one can be just as infectious.

Some bad attitudes are beyond help.

In a tournament atmosphere, where you're paired with the competition, I'm sure it's different.

As far as positive attitude being contagious,, I did everything I could to try and increase their "enthusiasm". After I politely asked one of them to "shake it off", he said he didn't want to! I guess 2 of them just wanted to be miserable.

It was our club championship.

FB,
You have to come down to the Atlantic City Tour Van Event and see some positive attitudes. Good stuff at things such as this.

As a former "that guy that says the game sucks," I've learned how to relax when I really do have a bad day, and to just be quiet. Problem is, now everyone knows when I'm mad because I get real quiet and don't say anything. Then they just start making fun of me, and I typically loosen up then.

But yes, those types of players really do suck to play with. I played with one in a city tournament, I really just felt bad for the guy more than anything. He had a horrible round with a lot of bad breaks too, I was just hoping he'd decide to have fun with it.

~Rock

FB,
You have to come down to the Atlantic City Tour Van Event and see some positive attitudes. Good stuff at things such as this.

JB, I checked after you made the announcement. It is 5 hours from me. Still thinking about it though..

I have a good friend that I will play with from time to time. I would play with him more often but he just started playing last year(nothing wrong with that) and he thinks he should be able to play the shots I play and when he does not he often mumbles "I am not sure what happen, I never do that". When he wanted to start playing he asked if I could teach him and I told him I am not a teacher so go take lessons before he starting hitting the course. He took one! When he is having a bad day I try and encourage him with his game and always tell him to go and get more lessons. When he is having that bad day, to him, and it keeps going down hill he gets mad and it gets hard to play with him and add to the fact that he is a slow player also it makes it hard to play with him. Three times he just quit after 9 holes. I will continue to play with him as he is my neighbor, we attend church together and our kids went to school together. But I limit the times I will play with him which is a shame because he is a friend. Its just hard to focus on my game when I play with him. Now when I get paired with someone who has a bad attitude I can usually can just focus on my game as I know I will most likely never see them again and it just does not matter to me what they are doing.

I made a promise to myself when I started playing this notoriously frustrating game - that every time I go out I will do the best I can, celebrate the good shots and try to learn from the bad... I've done a lot of learning in my 1st year ;)

It's very hard to play with a grump... I try to tune it out, especially if it gets personal.

I play with the same 3-5 people every time I go out. I am a really competitive person and I want to play my best every time I go out. I'm not going to lie, when I hit a bad shot it bothers me. I keep it to myself and don't shout curse words or throw clubs. With that being said, when someone in my group starts with that stuff it generally brings me down. I am out to beat my previous score and to have fun. If I want stress on the weekend, I'll go to work!

I just keep complimenting their better shots and being positive as possible with people. I try to give them confidence by telling them they are better than they believe they are. It seems to work well. If you get them hitting fairways you can play right along and keep a good pace. I played with two guys a couple weeks ago and it was their first time on a real golf course. The had been playing at a local par 3 for about a year and a half and decided to try a real course. We had a great time and one of the guys broke 100 and we played in just under 4 hours. You could see their confidence build throughout the round. I hope they continue to play on the big courses.

The only people that bother/mystify me are the guys who play once a week, never practice, are always in the woods, or just can't hit the ball and are angry about it. If you are terrible go work on your game until you are better. Spend your money on the range instead of on balls you hit into the trees, or go take some lessons. I played with a couple of them this weekend and I felt like telling them they weren't good enough golfers to be angry about their game. A good player to me is a guy who may be having a not so good day but has enough sense to back off and change his strategy for the day. A guy who would rather hit 3 iron off the tee and be in the fairway than keep pounding the ball into the woods with his driver. A guy who doesn't mess with what he brought to the course and just does what he can to score well.

Back