SeeMore Putters MSeries Review - Forum Testing Review

I started incorporating some of the techniques in my round today, even though the SeeMore won't be in my hands for a while. In particular I really tried to pay attention to alignment - being square, no forward press, keeping the ball in the middle of my stance - and I did the Tadashi (I think) technique of walking into the putt - placing the putter behind the ball so it is aligned to the line then adjusting my body to the putter.

The raw numbers weren't that different - I had 2 fewer putts than normal (34 vs. 36) but I also chipped to w/in 1 foot twice for tap ins, which hasn't happened before, so that's maybe a wash. However, I made a couple of 10 to 12 footers, several 5-7 footers, had the most 1 putts I've had this season (4) and generally rolled the ball much better than I have in a while. My lag putting was generally better, although I had two horrible lags which lead directly to both of my 3 putts. And I just missed four hard putts - very fast big breaking downhill putts in the 4-6 foot range. All this with my too small White Ice putter, so I couldn't really stand tall. In total, I'm very encouraged.

having this putter in the bag has had a positive affect on my entire game.

Nice review Freddie! This is a huge statement. I had a SeeMore in the bag at the end of last year and my confidence was through the roof. I am just not a big fan of the way these look for the most part but in the end it is what sinks the most putts. Will try them again here at the Iowa tour stop and see how it goes.

Freddie, I'll say it for you if you want to hold off...the medicine ball work pre-round IS in correlation with the good putting! LOL

Great day there dude, 27 putts, is awesome to say the very least. Hearing you SO confident in your m5 and the SPi method is inspiring to say the least. I'm with you though, combine the tremendous putter and the awesome method together and they just ooze confidence. Good stuff sir!

I like that you are already getting into the SPI mindset. It'll be that much easier to adjust once the putter arrives. Also, LOL at the "Tadashi", you know its all the rage..hehe
Keep up the good work on the greens and I think those close chips will start happening more often.
I started incorporating some of the techniques in my round today, even though the SeeMore won't be in my hands for a while. In particular I really tried to pay attention to alignment - being square, no forward press, keeping the ball in the middle of my stance - and I did the Tadashi (I think) technique of walking into the putt - placing the putter behind the ball so it is aligned to the line then adjusting my body to the putter.

The raw numbers weren't that different - I had 2 fewer putts than normal (34 vs. 36) but I also chipped to w/in 1 foot twice for tap ins, which hasn't happened before, so that's maybe a wash. However, I made a couple of 10 to 12 footers, several 5-7 footers, had the most 1 putts I've had this season (4) and generally rolled the ball much better than I have in a while. My lag putting was generally better, although I had two horrible lags which lead directly to both of my 3 putts. And I just missed four hard putts - very fast big breaking downhill putts in the 4-6 foot range. All this with my too small White Ice putter, so I couldn't really stand tall. In total, I'm very encouraged.

Just saw this T4K, good on you for starting to implement the SPi principles now even though the putter is not in hand yet. I truly believe that the method itself will translate to all types of putters because its just so sound, I know that no matter what I choose to roll in the future my stroke will still be all SPi, I've seen to much good and benefit to stray form that. Stick with it and keep working dude, it'll only get better!

Nice review Freddie! This is a huge statement. I had a SeeMore in the bag at the end of last year and my confidence was through the roof. I am just not a big fan of the way these look for the most part but in the end it is what sinks the most putts. Will try them again here at the Iowa tour stop and see how it goes.
Thanks. Before this testing started I was not a fan of the designs I had seen. But once I took the time to look through the website I really enjoyed some of the models I saw. There isn't a round that goes by that I realize the designs are a departure from the norm but I can honestly say I enjoy everything about my m5

Freddie, I'll say it for you if you want to hold off...the medicine ball work pre-round IS in correlation with the good putting! LOL

Great day there dude, 27 putts, is awesome to say the very least. Hearing you SO confident in your m5 and the SPi method is inspiring to say the least. I'm with you though, combine the tremendous putter and the awesome method together and they just ooze confidence. Good stuff sir!
Thank you Jman. The confidence is really at an all time high. But I now have the Buck and Jman sickness....I want the Private Reserve Limited Black SB2 (Cu insert). Its a beauty!!

Nice review Freddie, that is some solid putting. I guess I need to look into getting a medicine ball from SeeMore. I agree with Jman about the technique, I find that when my putting seems to start getting crazy I have reverted to my old method of putting with my eyes directly over the ball, when I return to standing tall normally the stroke comes back quickly.

As always, each new review post will include links to my previous one's in the "Reference Link" section, all links are listed within the spoiler tag for the sake of de-cluttering.

REFERENCE LINKS:
Spoiler

• Initial Thoughts/Process: CLICK HERE
  • Pre SPi Putting Breakdown: CLICK HERE
  • SeeMore mSeries Fitting PART 1: CLICK HERE
  • SeeMore mSeries Fitting PART 2: CLICK HERE
  • Stance Evolution and Medicine Ball Aid: CLICK HERE
  • Round 1, 2, and 3 General Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 4 Rundown and mFGP2 Thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Round 5 Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 6/7 and Stance Drill: CLICK HERE
  • Round 8 Rundown and mFGP2 Thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Round 9 Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 10 and Practice Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 11 Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 12 Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 13 Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 14 Rundown

LOOK MA, NO THUMBS!!!
:

So, this one is going to be different to say the least, I apologize now for the corny line above but hey, gotta keep it light-hearted right?

OK, if you've been reading the conversations that have been going on in this kick butt review thread the last few days then you undoubtedly will recall we had a bit of a conversation on forward pressing and the SPi method. I myself have always stayed away form and disliked forward pressing because all you are doing is providing yourself a different loft on your putter when you roll the ball and thusly you get a different roll almost all the time whether you realize it or not. I truly believe there is no way you can make sure that your forward press is the exact same every time (as to say, you can't know you are delofting your putter by 2* every single stroke, its going to vary and could be much lower or less).

I digress though, Duey made the point in here that he used to use his forward press as a kind of "trigger" to let the stroke go each time. That, I can understand as I actually kind of do that with my iron swing. This made me instantly think of a drill that I've been doing and the fact that I've actually been using that drill as a "trigger" of my own. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I'm going to first talk about the drill/trigger in type and then put up a couple of videos I took today that way those who can't watch the video can still read about it all.

THE "DRILL":

When I went down and got fit for my mFGP2 by Brady one of the biggest struggles I had then and even for a while after was making sure I let my shoulders do the work and allow the club head to open and close on its own without letting my hands into play too much. Brady had me spend some extended time on the putting green getting setup to the ball as I would and then roll the putts with my (then new) SPi grip...but with no thumbs on the grip thus forcing me to use the shoulder rock to keep "control" of the putter and to let it flow on its path.

At first this felt really awkward because I had been letting my thumbs almost "steer" the putter without realizing I was doing such. By taking them off I felt like I had no control over the head at all, but 20-30 putts later it had helped me to just trust the shoulder rock and let the putter head work. The difference of roll on the ball from the beginning of the fitting to the end after ingraining letting the shoulders work with no thumbs on the putter was really night and day, even Brady got a bit excited about it I think. This is one of those things that he has even chimed in here and in emails to me to go practice some more and has really been a major part of my practice routine. I always start with no thumbs and then after some time resume with thumbs on.

All this is something I never thought about writing/typing about until Duey started talking about using forward press as a trigger and I instantly felt dumb for having not talked about this yet. Why? Because this drill has actually become my pre-putt trigger! Its one of those things I do now that I really and truly think could help a LOT of guys who are used to having that "thing" that tells them its time to pull the trigger and I've been using it without ever thinking about it!

Early on I struggled with stubbing my putter on the start of my stroke because I was still battling hands vs shoulders in my stroke. Brady told me to use the no-thumbs on the course to prevent that. I thought he was crazy until he told me to go through my routine as normal, make my reads, step in, set-up, but when I get set and take my last look down the line to simply lift my thumbs off and when I'm ready they go back on and the stoke goes then. Its my "trigger" and something I've done for a long time now.

Hopefully the videos below will explain and answer questions about what I'm rambling on about!

Part One:
[video=youtube_share;MUzA-SzDqYQ]http://youtu.be/MUzA-SzDqYQ[/video]

Part Two:

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

I feel dumb for not talking about this earlier! That said, I really do think the drill can help those trying/using the SeeMore method and I truly feel like it could be a tremendous "trigger' for those that are used to having one as it give you that feeling, just without the forward press that messes up the loft of the putter. It won't be for everyone, but I still think its worth talking about and showing. That said, feel free to pelt any questions/thoughts at me and I'll do my best to answer them for you all!

great videos and idea Jman i dunno what my new trigger is anymore. it used to be my forward press i'll have to watch some of my videos and see if i can find out what it is. i do stay over the ball a little more than i'd like sometimes. i think my routine is pretty good so i think its kinda become my trigger as a whole. good drill by itself without the thumbs Andy talked to me about that drill also. helps you make sure you are gripping the putter with your fingers too instead of your palms. great job manscaping for the video also.

"Look Ma, No thumbs". Boy Jman, you may be on to something here. Checking this out on the carpet I'm kind of impressed, tomorrow's course time should tell me more. To be honest two things came to mind here, 1. My thumbs were always in the conversation with SeeMore during my early testing because I was "Steering" 2. When I do regrip, will my thumbs take control at that point?

A "Positive Trigger" is something several of the greats believed in, (Think Jack), and I'm convinced is a real positive point to any swing. I like where you are going with this, just wondering if I would be better suited to do this with my thumbs more towards the side of the putter rather than the top. Possibly just on the left side alone to initiate the stroke, but either way just asks to be tried tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I'm excited to work at this tomorrow.

I too was a forward presser before viewing the videos on the SeeMore method of putting. I will practice the no thumbs drill the next time I am at the course, I think it may help me too Jman, great vid, we former forward presser's appreciate it.

Thanks for the kind words gents. I figure it might really help someone looking for a trigger, but if nothing else the drill is a really good one as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm liking the idea of no thumbs jman
Great video's to watch and something more to think about during the set up and practicing.

I'm liking the idea of no thumbs jman
Great video's to watch and something more to think about during the set up and practicing.

Thanks SHARKWRESTLER!!!!! Hehe

I really do appreciate the kind words sir!

Great stuff from both Freddie and Jman! I have been swamped working OT this weekend and but managed to sneak out for a early morning round friday that Ill have up shortly.

Very interesting trigger Jman, I think I might check that out. Interestingly enough, the two practice strokes I take before each putt I do with no thumbs on the grip. Like you mentioned, it helps me feel the natural release of the putter head without using my hands. I think ill try adding the thumb "trigger" and see what kind of results I get.

SeeMore m5x Testing Update

SeeMore m5x Testing Update

Good updates in here lately. Thanks for the videos Jman. The no thumbs is interesting. As a former forward presser I might incorporate this maybe. Need to experiment with it and see if works.

Date - 8/25/2012
Location - Deerfield GC, Newark DE
Club Tested - SeeMore m5x
Previous Club - Odyssey Metal X #7
Ball used - Bridgestone B330RX
Greens - Quick

Last weekend I struggled mightily with my putting. To the tune of 40 putts which is an all time bad for me. As soon as I finished my round I went to the putting green to work on things. Of course I putted really good at that point but the damage was already done. This weekend it was another part of my game that sunk me but for the love of putter ho's everywhere it wasnt the putter. On to the stats:

Fairways - 57%
GIR - 3
One putts - 5
Two putts - 12
Three putts - 1
Total putts - 32
Putts per hole - 1.8
Putts per GIR - 2.3

So again I three jacked one of my GIR's which is awful but this particular hole had the pin in a nasty location. It was one of my really bad putts on the day but it was not an easy hole location either. But this time it was my only three jack on the day. So what was the difference from last week? Good question. In all honesty its like when Im hitting the ball well I lose focus on my putting and have a bad day with the putter. But if Im struggling off the tee or from the fairway the putting picks up. I had two holes where I flailed from rough to rough, across the fairway and all around the green. Finally after chipping onto the green I drained putts from 20' and another one from 30' or maybe more. I even walked up to the second one and said "after all that now I have an impossible putt" and then drained it. The very first hole was a slippery, down hill putt that dropped in on the last roll of the ball.

So I went into this round just making sure a couple things were in order. One was my alignment / aim. Second was trying to get better with my speed. I missed a lot of putts last weekend in close to the hole. Putts that I consider easy. With the correct aim and speed I made these putts Saturday or at least kept them close enough I could make the second putt. It also helps to trust the stroke I putt on the ball.

At this point in the testing I have a pretty clear understanding of the SeeMore system and have formed some thoughts on the m5x.

Pros
The SeeMore approach to putting has made me a better putter and given me a better understanding of HOW to become a better putter too. I have a whole system that as long as I put it in practice when I play it pays off.

I love the insert in the putter. Its something that just feel right to me at this point.

I also love the Feeltec oversize grip. Its not as soft as the Winn grips which some just dont like because they are so soft. This one feels just right.

I also have become a fan of the 34" putter as opposed to a 33" putter. It feels better to be more upright to me and less hunched. Trying one of my other 33" putters felt terrible.

Cons
Probably one of the things Ive struggle with the most is just the overall size of the m5x. Its huge. That and the weight. Sometimes I just dont like looking down at it and wish it was a bit smaller.

Good write up Kevin. It's funny you mention about the length and how shorter feels funny now I practiced today for a while and brought another putter out just to roll for 5 minutes and it was 34" I ended up rolling like 4 putts and put it away cause I didn't like the way it felt just because of the inch difference. You wouldn't think it would be a big deal but for me it was. I worked on a few things today that I wanna touch on in my review I'm gonna do tomorrow and that was one of the things. Pretty interested that it would make that much of a difference but I've been nitpicking lately with my stroke and I noticed a few other things also today. Anyway glad you seem to have turned the corner and putt much better than your last round. I know how frustrated you were with it. I think with the see more philosophy though if you stick with it and once you finally get it down it sure does pay dividends. It's even weird now where I really don't think about much at all anymore when I'm putting on the course. Only when I'm practicing and I try to stick with only one or two "swing thoughts".

Haha, I rolled one of my 33" putters for a bit tonight, I think my left hand was barely on the putter and its the understatement of the century to say it felt "uncomfortable". Strange how far I've come when I stop to think about it, now nothing but 35.5"-36" feels comfortable.

It's been really fun catching up in this thread. I admit, it's hard to keep up with you guys after missing a couple of days. You guys go on and on with tons of info!

Thanks for the feedback on my earlier questions. Had another less than stellar putting performance this past weekend and this part of my game is really lacking. Love the drills and really want to try this quarter/nickel/dime drill. I continue to hoover around 31-34 putts a round. Think I'll wait till after the Iowa outing but I'm itching to call a local SeeMore guy.

Nate, how tall are you (if you don't mind me asking) and what length putter do you use now? If you wait, there will definitely be a few to try out in DM. I think Duey has an Si3 as well. I honestly think the most important part of going Seemore is taking the time to learn the technique. My first go-round with a Seemore ended up in me selling it, but I just assumed the putter itself would cure my issues.

Nate, how tall are you (if you don't mind me asking) and what length putter do you use now? If you wait, there will definitely be a few to try out in DM. I think Duey has an Si3 as well. I honestly think the most important part of going Seemore is taking the time to learn the technique. My first go-round with a Seemore ended up in me selling it, but I just assumed the putter itself would cure my issues.

I keep finding that out the hard way too. Stupid putters. Why can't they make me not suck.

I keep finding that out the hard way too. Stupid putters. Why can't they make me not suck.

I've seen slow improvement, which is nice, but it's one of those things that I definitely have to be patient about. At least now I don't feel like I'm going to miss everything outside of 18 inches. I truly felt that way last year.

I've seen slow improvement, which is nice, but it's one of those things that I definitely have to be patient about. At least now I don't feel like I'm going to miss everything outside of 18 inches. I truly felt that way last year.

Yep everyone I have seen that rolls a SeeMore and buys into the system has an amazing stroke. I plan on testing a few of these out in DM

You should give my FGP2 a roll, J. I think you'd like it.

You should give my FGP2 a roll, J. I think you'd like it.

I'm gonna stick with what I have for now I have been putting amazingly well with it especially inside 10'

Maybe in the off season.

Back