Tendonitis - Golfers Elbow

It's amazing what five days off does for the pain. Most of the time it doesn't hurt at all during the day. It's there when I wake up, and at odd times during the day but I'd say just the time off makes if feel ok 95% of the time I am awake. I know if I went and hit tomorrow it would come back as strong as it was, so I am just biding my time for now. I hate not playing, but it's what I need to do.

Hopefully I can last the full three weeks like I want to!

No doubt Jim (hehehe).

Finally, I went to the Chiropractor the day before my flight to Myrtle Beach to get my back cracked, and he also popped my elbow, which helped immensely. He told me that he wished I had come in after it hurt for a week because I would have saved several weeks of pain.

I'd say if regular treatment doesn't make it feel better in a week, go to the chiropractor and have them pop it back.

Yup, thats where I head several times in the spring (mats on driving ranges aggravate this condition, may even help cause it) for the same thing. Mine doesn't pop it he does something with the tendon. It hurts like heck when he does it but the relief is nearly instant.

Yep- Nothing to do but give it time to heal. The compression straps on the upper or lower arm are a common thing among many other professional athletes. They help a little bit but wont fix your pain once you have it- they are much more preventative. Take some Aleive before you play and just try to get through it. If it continues to get worse you need to consider backing off for a while. It could cause major damange to the ligament if it continues to rub in the wrong way. Better safe than sorry.
There is a local trainer that works with our university athletic teams, as well as the Jamaican track team, that uses stretching and tendon manipulation to get it out! It honestly works! He is able to squeeze and hold the tendon while the patient does various stretches thus allowing it to stretch, possibly even "release" from a pinch, etc. So, there is more that you can do than ice, aleve, and let it rest if you can find a properly trained individual. He has worked with both the men's and women's golf and tennis teams on ALL of their similar issues and he's able to get them back to normal, usually, within two weeks! No joke.

One other way to help a little bit with the pain is to apply Voltaren Gel to it, up to four times per day. It helps...

It's been 18 days since I swung a club and it's feeling a lot better. I want to say to heck with it and go on Sunday, but I am going to stick to my guns and wait until the 26th. That will be four full weeks. I'm still icing it and babying it but have been doing a lot of exercises and stretches that I think is doing a lot of good.

It sure does suck not playing though.

Good to hear your sticking to your plan Smalls! Hope it all works out and the elbow is ready to go

I'm still icing it and babying it but have been doing a lot of exercises and stretches that I think is doing a lot of good.

It sure does suck not playing though.

I sure hope it gets you well soon and back on the course. Exercise is a really important part because if you continue you will strengthen the area and be less likely to re injure it

Tomorrow I go out for the first time since The Morgan Cup concluded.

I'm excited but a little nervous about that first shot after my tee shot. Elbow feels pretty good. With all the stretching I've been doing, we'll see how she holds up.

I'm excited but a little nervous about that first shot after my tee shot. Elbow feels pretty good. With all the stretching I've been doing, we'll see how she holds up.

Good luck Smalls hit em straight. We should try and get out before des Moines

Good luck. I was just complaining that mine is acting up after not being a problem since last year.

Kevin

Good luck. I was just complaining that mine is acting up after not being a problem since last year.

Kevin

Thanks, Esox. I shot horribly (96) but I didn't hurt afterwards. Now, five plus hours later, still no pain. I just need to decide now if I want to play Tuesday.

Awesome Smalls! Glad to hear your feeling better, the golf will come around

Glad to hear your on the mend Smalls.

To anyone else who suffers with tendinitis here is a video from KT tape. I used KT tape on my ankle during the Morgan Cup and honestly i wouldn't have been able to play without it

Suffering from Tennis (Golfers) Elbow right now. Top-outside bone of my elbow, painful to touch and swollen after a round. Glad I found this thread for some treatment ideas.

I've played 4 full rounds and 14 holes (rain stopped us) since taking the four week break from golf. The scores suck, but the elbow feels good. Still doing the stretches a couple times a day, but only a little tightness after playing. No pain. I've been doing the stretches throughout the rounds, so maybe that's helping.

Have my first round tomorrow after a 4 week layoff with tendinitis. It should be good to go after: several visits to the chiropractor and his massage therapist, ("deep muscle massage" is not fun!) continuously icing, stretching and wrapping the elbow for four weeks. Will let you all know how it goes.

Have my first round tomorrow after a 4 week layoff with tendinitis. It should be good to go after: several visits to the chiropractor and his massage therapist, ("deep muscle massage" is not fun!) continuously icing, stretching and wrapping the elbow for four weeks. Will let you all know how it goes.

Good luck, Zeff! Four weeks off is no fun. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about the score!

Kinesio Tape (KT Tape name brand) is debatable as far as it's effectiveness and there's a lot of discussion about whether it truly works or the success that people see is more due to time and placebo affect. I'm not going to debate it's effectiveness since it's a no win argument. The experts don't even know. I had a bad case of golfers elbow, and it still aches a little, but for the most part it is gone. I bought a kit from a web site that sells a heat pack, a coolpack, and an ultrasound device. It seemed to work okay, but thankfully it came with a money back guarantee that I took advantage of. My local chiropractor ran an ad saying he could also help with golfers and tennis elbow so I went in to go see him. Regardless of your opinion of chiropractors in general, another debate that I won't get into, he really helped me out. Basically they put the electrostimulus pads on at 4 points around my elbow and I have them crank it up until it starts to contract my bicep or make my hand move involuntarily. They run that for about 10 to 15 minutes, then he comes in and uses his ultrasound device which is WAAYYYY more powerful than anything you can reasonably afford to buy yourself for home remedies. As soon as I started doing this regimen, I started to see improvement. He also recommended one of those arm bands to wrap around my arm just beneath the elbow joint and he gave me one for free. While he's doing the ultrasound, he'll kind of hold it still for a moment every once in while until I get a deep ache, kind of like a toothache type of feel to really break up the scar tissues deep inside and promote that healing blood flow to the area. Once again, that his really worked well for me. I also looked on youtube for golfers elbow and started using some of the stretching exercises. I did not read all six pages of posts, so if this is a repeat of what others have posted sorry. Hopefully this will be useful to someone!! Thanks for your time.

I had to throttle back my club championship practice last week due to pain in my right elbow. I could barely hit the ball around 40-50 times and then it starts to kill me. I didn't hit or touch a club on Monday, Tuesday and Wed. I hit 30 balls Thursday and had some minor pain. I stretched it out all weekend and actually hit a large bucket of 80 balls today with minor stiffness. I didn't purposely try to go after the ball much. Just focused on staying in good technique and staying relaxed. I have my semi-final match at 10 tomorrow am. Hopefully no pain....

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

36 more holes today and still doing ok. Still doing stretches.

Still no pain, just a little tight. I think the month off did the trick.

Continuing with the stretching exercises.

I'm suffering from this in my left elbow. I haven't been playing as much and it seems better but I always know its there. I'd like to practice but I don't because I want to rest it. I can take a drink using that arm when I'm watching tv and it hurts. Just that move puts strain there.

I have yet to begin any of the tips you guys have provided. I guess I'm a little surprised about the use of a chiropractor. I've used them and believe in them and have had the heat and electrostimulus done on my neck and it worked out great.

I'm hoping to get through the season and just rest it. I'm going to start doing the stretches and such too

I was surprised about the chiropractor myself. I never would have thought about doing that had a friend not told me about his ad. I went to him and he's done a great job. This last week was my last visit with him for a while. Now I just have to get over surgery from skin cancer. I'll take the golfer's elbow over skin cancer any time. Round 2, round 1 was 20 years ago. Use your sunscreen!!

I've been using OTC meds, doing stretches, and ice and heat treatments but nothing seems to work completely. I pretty much had stopped using my left arm to quiet it down. The pain was getting to be unbearable so I went to the Doc and he gave me some Mobic and I've been taking it for 4 days and I have to say my elbow is feeling really good. I'd like to say almost 95% good. I'll keep taking them for the month and see how I feel after that but it looks very promising.

A few more weeks into this and the elbow is still doing great. Still have the tightness after the rounds, but no pain. Still stretching it every day.

Back