Drivers: Finally a welcomed problem...

WMac19

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I played last season with my 9.5* Cobra ZL but bounced around with shafts between the Nunchuk, Whiteboard, and Bassara. Really liked all, but loved none.

I recently grabbed a Fuji Fuel Tour Spec 60x for the ZL and love it. Went a bit shorter at 44.5", very accurate, smooth and stable shaft. With the heavier 10g weight plug installed, it feels and plays great.

I'd also recently picked up a white ZL Encore and had an Accra S2-75 M4 laying around. Had it tipped 1.5" and cobra adapter installed.

I LOVE both setups. But the funny thing is, I only like them the one way. When I put the Encore head on the Fuel shaft, it feels very light and accuracy suffers. And when I put the ZL head on the Accra shaft, it launches too high, regardless which weight plug.

But the other way around, they're both the perfect drivers for me. The Accra/Encore combo is 1" longer and feels noticeably more solid. Better distance too, 10 yards or so, and so far through 3 range sessions, I really can't see much difference in dispersion.

Haven't played yet (not since August of last year, dernit!!!!) but will get out next week. Accra/Encore gets first crack. $40 shaft (secondhand) with the leg up on one which costs $225... hey, whatever works.

Nice problem to have, though. :smile:

Because I'm a little nuts, I also have a RIP Alpha on the way, anyone with experience with that shaft?

Last edited:
I have h Fuel 60X in my R11s and it is a monster mine is playing at 45.5 in best most constant drive i have ever had

I have h Fuel 60X in my R11s and it is a monster mine is playing at 45.5 in best most constant drive i have ever had

It's such an impressive shaft. It kinda' marries two shafts which have worked for me, Nunchuk accuracy with Blueboard feel.

Of course I'll go with any set-up that works best but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was quietly rooting for the Fuel. :wink:

always tough to play what works but its hard to give up extra yards and better shots when its just a straight equipment change!

as for the rip alpha, i've tried them on a few occasions in a 910D3, rip alpha 60X, and i wasn't really a fan. fairly harsh feeling for me, but i've also never gotten along with aldila in general.

always tough to play what works but its hard to give up extra yards and better shots when its just a straight equipment change!

as for the rip alpha, i've tried them on a few occasions in a 910D3, rip alpha 60X, and i wasn't really a fan. fairly harsh feeling for me, but i've also never gotten along with aldila in general.

Thanks. While I've hit a RIP Alpha before, it was in a lower flex. Liked the feel but I was all over the ball park with it. So, fingers-crossed, we'll see.

As for my dilemma, sadly, a busted shaft has decided things for now. I hit the range again today and the Accra/Encore combo shined once again. Only, when putting the headcover on after hitting my final shot with it, the clubhead turned in my hand. Easily. Amazing because I hit a lot of great shots with it, including the last. I have no idea how the club could have still performed with a loose clubhead. I'm just glad the head didn't fly down-range!

Guess I'll be in the market for another Accra Dymatch shaft. :sad:

Back