Can't stop swinging over the top (video)

kiteman

Reaction score
I have been playing for about 3 years, and my handicap is 15. Up until 1 month ago I considered my iron play above average as I was pretty consistent in terms of contact and aim. Driver was less consistent but still certainly playable. Up until recently I played 2-4 times per week. Then I randomly started slicing my driver, and then a week or so after that my irons followed. I did not feel as if I changed anything in my swing, but the result was obviously changing.

I decided to take a lesson then, which did not correct my slice and may have caused even more problems. I have looked at my own video (below) which shows I come over the top considerably, and that likely causes the slice. I have read and tried many methods to swinging inside to out or at least square, and none of them have worked. I'm very tall at 6'7" so am not sure if perhaps my flexibility is a problem here, or if I'm simply not doing something right. Maybe the outside to in part of my swing is not the first thing I even need to work on, so I wanted to ask some others their thoughts from my video. Hopefully with some direction I can get back the courage to play at all. (BTW video is me hitting 6i, driver, then (awfully) a PW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmrl8xmO4Q

Welcome to THP!

One thing that stands out to me is your lack of hip turn. If you start your downswing with your lower body, that might help get the club on plane and in a position to swing in-to-out.

I'm sure others will chime in with pointers, too.

Paging Tadashi and MarcH, our resident swing experts...

Welcome to THP!

One thing that stands out to me is your lack of hip turn. If you start your downswing with your lower body, that might help get the club on plane and in a position to swing in-to-out.

I'm sure others will chime in with pointers, too.

Yup. You have to start the down swing with the lower body. Bump your weight forward and swing around your left leg. Also, you're casting the club coming down. Get the feeling that the grip is beating the clubhead to the ball.

I agree with everyone else....you need to work on hip turn and weight shift...that will help you swing more with your body than your arms.

Try placing a golf ball under the outside part of your right foot, this will keep you from swaying backwards on the backswing and promote the transition to the left foot on the downswing. Try to imagine that you are firing your right knee towards the target.

It looks like you need to start bending your right elbow much sooner and holding it bent much longer, that should help you come from the inside. Your right elbow should bend to 90 degrees asap in your back swing.

This is all what I think, I'm no pro.

Thanks a lot guys. When I first started playing, the lower body leading the downswing thing was mentioned to me, but I did not here it from someone that I thought knew too much about golf, so I dismissed it. However I tried it for a while and remember it being very difficult for a guy like me with a very long torso. My head couldn't stay still and I was hitting it all over the place.

Anyway, is there a drill that might help me learn this movement easier?

Some good thoughts here. I like the takeaway, but that look a little awry on the downswing.

Make sure to keep your right elbow tucked in close to the body and make a good turn and follow through, extending towards your target.

You also seem to be falling back a little on some of the swings. Make sure to stay balanced and get that weight shifted a little more onto the left foot.

The one thing I noticed at the beginning, and then on quite a few of your swings is that you sometimes don't allow your right shoulder to move your head. It's like you are forcing your head not to move. Just wonder what your results of those shots are compared to the ones where when your shoulder reaches your chin and you let your head go with the rest of your body.

The one thing I noticed at the beginning, and then on quite a few of your swings is that you sometimes don't allow your right shoulder to move your head. It's like you are forcing your head not to move. Just wonder what your results of those shots are compared to the ones where when your shoulder reaches your chin and you let your head go with the rest of your body.

Great observation.

It isn't a bad thing to have your head rotate. Jack did it.

Thanks a lot guys. When I first started playing, the lower body leading the downswing thing was mentioned to me, but I did not here it from someone that I thought knew too much about golf, so I dismissed it. However I tried it for a while and remember it being very difficult for a guy like me with a very long torso. My head couldn't stay still and I was hitting it all over the place.

Anyway, is there a drill that might help me learn this movement easier?

Slow down and take your time at the top. Make sure you complete your swing, then bump your weight left and swing around your left leg. When I do it properly, it feels like I am leaving my head behind.

Great observation.

It isn't a bad thing to have your head rotate. Jack did it.

Jack also putted with a glove on. You would be hard pressed to find more than a few (if any) pictures of him putting gloveless.

Jack also putted with a glove on. You would be hard pressed to find more than a few (if any) pictures of him putting gloveless.

But what did he ever do, really?

I will add that the swing looks very upright to me. You may want to try swinging around your body a bit.

But what did he ever do, really?

He finished second in more majors than anyone. Couldn't seal the deal, the big loser.

I will add that the swing looks very upright to me. You may want to try swinging around your body a bit.

That's not causing the Ott move though. It'll anything, a flatter swing could lead to a more exaggerated Ott. I know it did with me.

There are a ton of good suggestions. I won't add more comment other than what ever you start to work on, try to stick with it through mastery or you will be over whelmed with swing thoughts. Pick one or two things and go with that till you feel like its second nature. But continued lessons with someone you feel comfortable with is perhaps your best option, and the better for your ultimate goal

That's not causing the Ott move though. It'll anything, a flatter swing could lead to a more exaggerated Ott. I know it did with me.
A flatter swing is less likely to cross the line, the first part of the OTT move, and is more likely to promote a correct back elbow position which minimizes the need for compensations, the other part of the OTT.

A flatter swing is less likely to cross the line, the first part of the OTT move, and is more likely to promote a correct back elbow position which minimizes the need for compensations, the other part of the OTT.

I think we may be crossing our own lessons. Because I have been taught to fight a flat swing because the more up a swing is, the more space there is to come underneath.

I think we may be crossing our own lessons. Because I have been taught to fight a flat swing because the more up a swing is, the more space there is to come underneath.
Poor OP, were going to confuse him...if not ourselves. I am interested in the discussion but probably best not to do so here.

He finished second in more majors than anyone. Couldn't seal the deal, the big loser.

Only because that crappy MacGregor ball he played was way out of round after 1 swing!!:act-up:

Poor OP, were going to confuse him...if not ourselves. I am interested in the discussion but probably best not to do so here.

Haha. Golf is hard.

I see very little leg action on the backswing or downswing, which is also why your hips are not moving much. Try focusing on your feet and legs and forget about the rest of the swing. There should be tension in your knees/ankles/thighs on the backswing. For a detailed explanation, get Hogan's "Five Lessons: The modern Fundamentals of Golf". It's has everything you need to break 80.

Back