How long does it take you to hit when its your turn?

How long does it take you to hit when its your turn?

• 10 to 15 Seconds

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • 15 to 30 Seconds

Votes: 51 46.8%
  • more than 30 seconds

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
unless the lie is weird i don't practice swing much i just get up and hit it.... i sometimes have people talking still when i'm swinging because they can't believe i hit so fast. its kinda funny when the apologize.

Same here. I don't care if people are talking or whatever. See ball, pick club, hit ball. I think i take more time measuring the yardage then I do to hit the ball.

I think I misunderstood the question originally. If I'm just waiting to hit, it probably takes me about 20 seconds. But if we're talking getting out, pulling a club and walking up to the tee box, it's probably more like 45 seconds if I'm first.

I stand corrected, I timed myself and I am 30sec or longer before I pull the trigger from the time I get to my ball. Get yardage, pull club, get line, setup and swing.

It looks like THPers are a very fast crowd!:act-up:

I play by the simple rule of "when it is my turn, be ready". I can't play any faster than that.

1 Arrive at next hole
2 Write down scores and stats
3 Do some woulda, coulda, shoulda regarding the last hole
4 Get case the rangefinder is in
5 Remove rangefinder from case
6 Put case down
7 Walk over to teebox
8 Shot yardage
9 Ask partners about the bunkers, trees, OB and/or H2O
10 Walk back to cart
11 Put rangefinder back in case
12 Put case back in cubbyhole
13 Walk back to clubs
14 Look for club
15 Get club
16 Remove headcover
17 Place headcover somewhere so it doesn't fall on the ground
18 Headcover falls on ground. Stop to pick it up and put in on cart seat
19 Walk back to teebox
20 Dammit, no tees in my pocket
21 Walk back to cart. Reach into specially designed tee pocket that has a smaller opening than my hand. Grab some tees. I need a long tee. Where did all these short tees come from. WTF!
22 Walk back to teebox
23 Put tee in ground
24 Make sure alignment line is pointing at my target
25 Remove loose debris around ball
26 Stand behind ball and ponder stuff, maybe crack some 1-liners with my partners
27 Walk up to ball and take 2 practice swings and complain about my back because I did yardwork yesterday and coached my kids baseball game
28 Line up, look at target, waggle, look at target, waggle, swing, cuss, cause damage to earth

No more than 30 seconds, just like everyone else posting their internet pace-of-play like they post their internet driver distance.

In this case, instead of subtracting 50 yards, add 45 seconds!

Step up, shoot my distance, pick a club, take a practice swing, address, and fire away. Maybe takes a minute or so.

I should say that since I walk my bag is always right next to me on the tee box and not 10+ yards away on a cart.

THPing on Tapatalk

However long it takes to
1) grab my laser and get a distance to 2 or 3 relevant reference points at the dogleg. Enough to know how far I need to hit It, and how far I don't want to hit it, and maybe something else to judge fairway width. I don't need to walk out to the tee box either. I know how much time that adds, and for another 1-2 yards of accuracy, it aint worth it. Look downrange from your cart/bag and get the distances you need. 15-20 seconds
2) Take a quick assessment of the wind - 5 seconds at most
3) decide and grab a club, make sure I have ball/tee - 10 seconds
4) walk to tee - 10-15 seconds
5) place ball, get the line and address the ball - 10 sec
6) waggle, breathe, etc. SWING!!!!!!!!!!! - 5-10

50 sec to 70 sec

Now, this doesn't mean to multiply by 4 if it's a foursome. Most of these things, everyone should be doing at some point, while paying attention to who is currently playing and not interrupt them. A foursome doesn't have to spend any more than 3-4 minutes at the tee box from the time they arrive

If i'm standing at the teebox next in line to hit, From the time I walk up to the ball it takes me under 20 seconds.
I think anything over 40 seconds is just slow-play. (again once they're at the ball)
In fact I can't stand to play with anyone who takes longer than 40 seconds to hit the ball (after they place the ball)
I mean, I can understand if it's a difficult shot or putt and you're looking at angles, but once you've placed your ball and the club is in your hand.
You've got 40 seconds before we start to heckle.

The part of this that I find really interesting is that most of the people I meet on the golf course that are slow players (40 seconds plus) don't think they are slow. When I am volunteering as rules official at tournaments it is standard practice to time guys even when they are not on the clock. It helps weed out the guys holding their group up.
A lot of these guys are not restricted to 40s second its usually somewhere near a 50 to 60 seconds. The longest timing I did so far was 70 seconds. (he got put on the clock right there and then.) A group of four with a single digit handicap that takes 35 seconds each to play each shot will be on the course for 5 hours a round - unless they run from shot to shot.

What really makes it look odd is that a group of four Juniors in the same situation is on and off the tee box in about 60 seconds - for the whole group. Somebody with a rangefinder reads the yardage and they get up and whack whack whack whack and off they go again.

Depends.

If I know the course, chances are unless the wind has changed that day I already know what club I'm hitting from the tee. Grab the club, place the ball, pick out a spot, one practice swing and go. I'm probably right handy to 30 seconds, give or take a little on each side depending on a couple variables.

I wouldn't say I'm slow, though I'm not super quick, maybe just slightly faster than average.

The fairway I'm fairly quick though. I usually judge a distance while walking up to the ball, grab a club and after a practice swing go at it.

On the tee i tend to take a little longer. I have a little pre shot routine. Tee up, Stand back for a practice swing in which i visualize the shot, Stand in, Set up my feet, pause and pull the trigger

Not long, especially since I stopped taking practice swings.

I think it might be interesting for everyone to have someone time them the next time they play and post their time in this thread.

A timing starts when it is your turn to play, the tee deck is clear, and it is safe for you to begin play.

I take about 20-25 seconds.

I've never timed myself and I dont think one can estimate how long unless they actually been timed so i just dont know.

Things always seem faster when your doing something and of course seem very long when waiting on someone else. Sense of time can be very far off from what you think to what it realy is.

Unfamiliar course? Longest part is deciding if not the driver, which club to use for a layup etc... Other than that, I place the ball, a practice swing and settle in with some waggle to find the right comfy spot and go. How long? I have no clue but I dont think its long at all.

Perhaps there should be a poll for "dont know"

Unfortunately the extremely famous and never ending pace issue is always in back my mind just enough that i want to make sure it wouldnt ever be me causing any issues so sometimes I swing even if i dont feel comfy.

Same as the poster above- on the tee have a preshot routine, in the fairway it takes less time. On the green it takes me longer to make sure my putt is lined up properly.

I barely have any pre shot routine. I stand behind the ball, maybe half the time ill take a practice swing, and then I just go. Once I get standing over the ball however, I tend to take a really long time. It just takes me a really long time to get comfortable, which makes me mad because I waste so much time standing there and I really can't help it.

I play pretty quick IMO. I usually know what club I'm hitting as soon as I get to my ball. That speeds it up.

I ride on the back of the cart and make my club selection as we approach the ball. I jump off the cart as it's still moving, hit the ball Happy Gilmore style and then jump back onto the cart.

I was more thinking about when I am waiting for someone else to hit, then it's my turn. I like to have everything ready to go, that way when someone else hits, I can step up and pull the trigger.

I still think by the time I tee the ball, get behind it and visualize the shot and step in...waggle to loosen up and swing it's still going to be 30-40 seconds.

Back