Is it poor etiquette to take a bunch of divots on a pitch/chipping practice area?

ChaseA17

Reaction score
I spent a considerable amount of time at the pitch/chipping practice area at my local range today. While there, I felt that I was taking many more, larger divots than everyone else who was there. Is this poor etiquette? Should I be trying to preserve the terrain for others to use? I would assume that the owners of the facility would prefer that no one take divots at all, thus minimizing their maintenance costs. However, I feel that I paid for my time there (bought a large bucket) and should be able to use it accordingly.

What are your thoughts?

If it's around the pitching and chipping green then you should not be taking divots near the green. If you are practicing approach shots and not pitching and chipping like you said then divots are fine and expected. Just don't take a huge patch from one spot as it takes forever for it to grow back in level. Below is the proper way to take divots. Leave ground between the tracks so it fills in fast and level. Grounds crew will be MUCH happier.

5-16-13+015.jpg

If it's around the pitching and chipping green then you should not be taking divots near the green. If you are practicing approach shots and not pitching and chipping like you said then divots are fine and expected. Just don't take a huge patch from one spot as it takes forever for it to grow back in level. Below is the proper way to take divots. Leave ground between the tracks so it fills in fast and level. Grounds crew will be MUCH happier.

5-16-13+015.jpg

Got it. I was hitting from all over the place so never more than once in one particular area. I will heed that advice on the grass range area though. Thanks!

Back