Cobra AMP Driver Review

yup, but paired with the black shaft it should work out well. Or so I'd think anyways. When the Cell comes out I hope I can get someplace and be fit for one.

Good call. I'm going to be fitted for all of my mc gear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yup, but paired with the black shaft it should work out well. Or so I'd think anyways. When the Cell comes out I hope I can get someplace and be fit for one.
Oh no doubt the Cell is for you....you just need to have it's little brother for company! Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Just got my Cobra AMP about a month ago, and it's one of those days that I thought of finally upgrading my whole set of clubs from iron to driver. I dropped about $1500 for a set of mizuno 59, love it! But what I'm really excited about is my Cobra AMP. For the longest time, I've held on to my Titleist 983k which I bought used about 6 years ago. I"m thinking it's a bout a 10 year technology. I really couldn't convince myself to join the bandwagon for new golf technology. Don't get my wrong, nothing bad about my Titleist since I just gotten so used to it.

I started noticing that everyone else is outdriving me nowadays! And I thought it must be my age since I'll be turning 50 in a few months.

I finally went to a proshop and decided to try a few brand names. I found Taylormade RocketBalls and they seem too "thuddy" the feel. Pings to be too square and uninspiring to hit. It seems too big. Then I got a hold of the AMP. Unlike a lot of reviews from other sites, the style suits my eye. I really don't mind the offwhite head and the orange grip. From the moment I made my first swing, I knew it fits my swing characteristics. My clubhead speed is just a tad faster than average which I measured to be around 100 mph. It came with a stock shaft Aldila RIP 55 which is just fine.

All I can tell you is that I'm hitting it in spots that I wasn't able to reach with my old 983. I must have gained at least 30 yards. My old drive, I really had to step out of my shoes just to reach my limit of about 260 yards.

Now with my new driver, with just my normal swing, I could easily get 260 and if I press a little harder it goes about 290 and at times 300 yards. My buddies were just commenting how hot it the ball was rolling. Ok, so I thought it might be the hard summer turf and I'm just getting the hard bounces.

And so it's fall weather golf now in Seattle which means sloppy fairway and it's been raining for a whole week now. Just this afternoon I went out with a friend whom I've not played lately but has always outdriven me. First hole I hit it about 260, with mostly carry distance I would assume. And just about every fairway, my average is about 250.
Now, I've been playing with my 983 for half a decade now and no where did I have that much carry. At the very most about 230. Needless to say my buddy was just in awe this afternoon. And so was I:) Even though it's got a 10.5 loft, it has a penetrating ball flight. I adjusted the clubface open since I always fight a hard draw when I try to kill it. My swing path has greatly improved as such that my ball flight stays right on the center of the fairway and will predictably draw to center.

This has truly freed myself of fighting left rough, that my swing path has become a single plane, which I'm now finishing my weight transfer with a nice release form on my left side.

260 yards with no sweat on sloppy fairway. Yikes, I can't wait til summer.

Congrats on the new driver and a fine driver at that. It can be a beast in the right hands. We would like to hear more if you are willing to share. We hope you decide to stick around and take in all the THP has to offer.

I am hoping that I continue to hit this driver well this weekend at the Invitational. I like playing a controled fade with it. Such a fairway finder. I also found out of I go at it a little harder I can bomb it straight and even with a little bit of draw.

I am hoping that I continue to hit this driver well this weekend at the Invitational. I like playing a controled fade with it. Such a fairway finder. I also found out of I go at it a little harder I can bomb it straight and even with a little bit of draw.

Is yours blue or orange?

Is yours blue or orange?

Neither, the old silver version, lol. I want to try the Cell to see how it compares to the regular Amp. Right now I can't see it being knocked out of the bag.

2 more success stories with dzone and butters.....love it!

Ya, I missed my driver due to not bringing the RIP with me! Who would of thunk bad epoxy holding my precious to the Basha. However, it's little brother was helping out a ton yesterday and was keeping ahead of the others using their big dogs. Silently smiling as head cover goes back on...and shocked at how little brother can hunt too!

UPDATE: Adapter taken off and re-attached, picked up today. Driver was going to be back in action tomorrow regardless, but putting the B eauty back in her in the morning.

Last edited:
Haven't hit the AMP woods yet but try sound just as good!

Whenever I get out to play a round, I am more excited to hit the AMP than I am anything else.

This thread is partly why I decided to pull the trigger and buy an AMP. A little history -

I'm 42, and I've been playing for two years now (never having played before), and while all parts of my game have been getting better, and my score are dropping (usually shoot 45 to 50 on 9 holes). Driving has always been the worst of my game. It was either a playable fade or a big slice. Irons, wedges and putting have always been decent. A typical drive that was playable was about 200 yards.

About a month or so ago, my two year old 11° Diable Edge developed crack on the sole near the heel. Callaway replaced it with a new 10.5° Razr X Black since they didn't have a Diablo Edge in my configuration. I just cannot hit the Razr X. I was all over with it.... worm burners, high and low slice, nothing good. One thing I noticed was that I just could not feel the head. And it being 46" long was way different than my 44.5" Diablo.

A few weeks ago I was playing with our company owner, and he knew I was having a bad driving day. On #16, a straight par 4, after hitting a fairly straight but short drive, he hands me his driver and said try mine just for sh!ts and grins. BAM, slight DRAW, and about 225. His was a 9.5° AMP set to closed. My mouth was wide open. On #18, a dog leg left uphill par 5, I hit his AMP again. This one was almost straight, and just under 220.

The FEEL of his club, along with the distance and being in the fairway, left me wanting one bad! So that Monday, I stared reading everything I could about the club, and that's how I found this thread. After a day of reading, I found a 10.5° AMP on eBay at a great price ($144 shipped) and jumped on it.

My firs timpression of the club was that in spite of the orange, it looks fantastic. I even like the looks of the orange grip, although it got yanked immediately in favor of my PURE P2 wrap. I still can't get over the feel of this club. After hitting about 2 buckets worth of range balls, I have decided on the closed setting too. It does hit fairly high, but for the distance I'm getting and the fact that every drive is playable, I'm not complaining!

My scores since I've been using this club are 40, 45, 42, and this past Sunday, 39! My average drives are now 230 to 235, and Sunday I hit this one, 247 yards! (Oops, tried to post a pic, but looks like I can't just yet). From here, I hit a 2H to about 2 feet from the front edge of the green. And with the pin about 3 paces on from the front, chipped in for my first eagle!

I'm bailing from work early tomorrow to play again. Need to get in a much as possible before the snow comes. So far, I am in love with this club, and along with the added distance, the accuracy is simply amazing!

Thanks for the update glock. Glad you found the site. Keep us posted.

Just another day in the life of the Cobra AMP driver thread. Glad it's working for you as well Glock, the AMP has been a game changer for many, including myself.

That's awesome glock, you are going to love your Amp. Thanks for checking out our feedback.

I finally got hands on with one of these yesterday at a Cobra Demo Day. I will say this...I was thoroughly I impressed. I hit a 9.5* stiff with stock shaft. I was worried the shaft might me an issue for me, but it was smooth. We did have a pretty strong tailwind, but I crushed a few drives. I tried to get a little aggressive with it and found the club stayed with me.

Now I'm "high center" on whether to jump on one of these or wait for the AMP Cell. Either way, an AMP driver will go into my bag next spring.

P.S. this whole AMP infatuation is a direct result of FrankA. :D thanks man!

I finally got hands on with one of these yesterday at a Cobra Demo Day. I will say this...I was thoroughly I impressed. I hit a 9.5* stiff with stock shaft. I was worried the shaft might me an issue for me, but it was smooth. We did have a pretty strong tailwind, but I crushed a few drives. I tried to get a little aggressive with it and found the club stayed with me.

Now I'm "high center" on whether to jump on one of these or wait for the AMP Cell. Either way, an AMP driver will go into my bag next spring.

You are very welcome. I am still very much a believer in the AMP driver and am loving the results that I get from it. Several people have hit mine and get average or better results from it. It has an incredibly smooth feeling to it and I love how the ball feels coming off of it. I am very interested in the Cell, because this one is going to be hard to beat.

I'm still loving mine! I've been waiting for the honeymoon to be over, but it just keeps getting better and better. I really feel like I can't miss with this driver unless unless I put a terrible swing on it, and that has tremendously upped my confidence when on the tee box. I've had my two personal best drives during my last round last week [right before the snow came :( ], two that were just over 260. And like Frank said, the feel is so smooth, and I KNOW the second it contacts the ball if I made good contact. There is a very distinct sound that I love (NOT a tin can on a stick sound) and lets me know I'll be walking farther than everyone else in the group. :)

One of my biggest worries with this club when I first got it was the length (45.75"). But I have all but put that worry to bed, long and straight is just automatic! I even told my wife I might pick up another just to hide in the closet as an insurance policy! lol

I had never given a look at Cobra before this club, no real reason, I guess they just are just a little off the radar compared to Cally, Ping, TM, etc. But I am seriously considering looking at the AMP irons now. Anyone else tried them out?

That is solid! The AMP is also reasonably priced so you might as well get both! :D

Also, the shaft is smooth for me too, such a solid performer.

You are very welcome. I am still very much a believer in the AMP driver and am loving the results that I get from it. Several people have hit mine and get average or better results from it. It has an incredibly smooth feeling to it and I love how the ball feels coming off of it. I am very interested in the Cell, because this one is going to be hard to beat.

I am Jess and I am also a believer in the AMP. I think the only driver that could replace it anytime in the next year would be the Cell but that isn't even a given.

I'm still loving mine! I've been waiting for the honeymoon to be over, but it just keeps getting better and better. I really feel like I can't miss with this driver unless unless I put a terrible swing on it, and that has tremendously upped my confidence when on the tee box. I've had my two personal best drives during my last round last week [right before the snow came :( ], two that were just over 260. And like Frank said, the feel is so smooth, and I KNOW the second it contacts the ball if I made good contact. There is a very distinct sound that I love (NOT a tin can on a stick sound) and lets me know I'll be walking farther than everyone else in the group. :)

One of my biggest worries with this club when I first got it was the length (45.75"). But I have all but put that worry to bed, long and straight is just automatic! I even told my wife I might pick up another just to hide in the closet as an insurance policy! lol

I had never given a look at Cobra before this club, no real reason, I guess they just are just a little off the radar compared to Cally, Ping, TM, etc. But I am seriously considering looking at the AMP irons now. Anyone else tried them out?

Dude, I am STILL in the honeymoon period as well! I am with you as well, after having my success with the AMP, I am now pondering other Cobra clubs.

Honestly, I heard all the hype...blah blah. Cookie likes this driver, FrankA raved about this driver...then I hit it for myself. I came away very amazed with the 2012 Cobra offerings (both this driver and irons too).

I told JB at the Texas outing that I was still hitting my VR Pro driver because I hadn't found another club to take its place. I think Cobra got me.

STILL killing this driver!! And the temps have only been mid 50's to mid 60's F. Holy crapola, I can't WAIT until next spring when it warms up to see what this baby can really do. :golf:

I've totally been lurking in this thread and love that so many people have found something with this driver. I haven't had much luck with it when I've swung it at the store, but I never do at the stores unless the hitting bays are bright and open. I'm satisfied with what I have now, but the feedback here has opened my eyes a bit and I'll be looking to check out Cobra's offerings next year!

Honestly, I heard all the hype...blah blah. Cookie likes this driver, FrankA raved about this driver...then I hit it for myself. I came away very amazed with the 2012 Cobra offerings (both this driver and irons too).

I told JB at the Texas outing that I was still hitting my VR Pro driver because I hadn't found another club to take its place. I think Cobra got me.

That is great to hear, I think you would be surprised how much you have been missing by not gaming one.

STILL killing this driver!! And the temps have only been mid 50's to mid 60's F. Holy crapola, I can't WAIT until next spring when it warms up to see what this baby can really do. :golf:

I am with you, had mine since September and can't wait to get a full season with it next spring.

I've totally been lurking in this thread and love that so many people have found something with this driver. I haven't had much luck with it when I've swung it at the store, but I never do at the stores unless the hitting bays are bright and open. I'm satisfied with what I have now, but the feedback here has opened my eyes a bit and I'll be looking to check out Cobra's offerings next year!

The thing about the AMP is it is ridiculously priced right now and worth every penny. The AMP Cell should be a game changer come next spring just like the AMP.

The thing about the AMP is it is ridiculously priced right now and worth every penny. The AMP Cell should be a game changer come next spring just like the AMP.

It is indeed. It's on the short list for me when people ask me what drivers they should check out. Can't wait to check out the whole Cell line.

Can anyone offer feedback head to head with the Adams Speedline Fast 12 (the version with Speedcoat Graffaloy ProLaunch blue shaft)? Both are pretty cheap right now and I gotta a little store credit burning a hole in my pocket - I remember liking the Fast 12 at a demo day last spring but the 910 was better so I went with that at the time. Never had a chance to hit the Amp so any comparisons would be helpful (vs G20 also welcomed). Thanks in advance.

Back