Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf Balls and High Handicapper

Handicap
    40+
    Thanks

Golf Balls and High Handicapper

Does ball choice mean all that much to a high handicapper? Is there a particular cheap ball I should look at? Or just keep buying those mixed sets of "recovered" balls you find most places? Or just buy any of the cheap dozens they sell at Target?
    In my High Handicappin' Bag

R9 Supertri
    Tight Lies 16*
    Fybrid 5W 18*
    Idea Tech V3 3H 19*
    Idea Tech V3 4H 22*
    Di7 Irons (Steel) 4I - GW
    Dynacraft SW 55* and Rusty
    8881 BLK Putter

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks
    I typically recommend staying away from tour balls with a urethane because they tend to add sidespin that will hurt a player struggling with keeping the ball straight. Early on I would purchase cheap balls and just work on getting a feel for the game. Once you know what your looking for I'd find one consistent ball you like so that you can learn to count on a ball and its characteristics. I prefer Bridgestone balls and recommend a ball fitting on their website.
    Driver: Blue Amp Cell Pro w RIP Beta White
    Fw: Red Amp Cell 14* ozik white tie
    Hybrids: Orange and Silver Amp Cell 18* and 22* kuro kage
    Irons: Scratch Golf Ez-1 5-P
    Wedges: Vokey 52,56,60
    Putter: mfgp2

Handicap
    40+
    Thanks
    Thanks Lambro, I figured as much. The ball fitter recommends the e6 or e7, which I assume are the "most forgiving" balls.

R9 Supertri
    Tight Lies 16*
    Fybrid 5W 18*
    Idea Tech V3 3H 19*
    Idea Tech V3 4H 22*
    8881 BLK Putter

Handicap
    21.9 oob
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,498 Posts
    The Wilson Duo, Wilson Zip and Nike Mojo are some of my favorite cheapo balls.

The Wilson's are pretty low compression from my experience with them but fly well and have some green holding capability.

The mojo is a bit firmer than the Wilson balls.

Pinnacle gold is another decent cheap ball from my limited experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    910D3 8.5* Diamana D+
    910FD 15* Diamana D+
    910H 19* Diamana Ilima
    ci11 5-gw
    M1
    Z-Star XV

Handicap
    USGA 12.8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Splendorlex View Post
    Does ball choice mean all that much to a high handicapper? Is there a particular cheap ball I should look at? Or just keep buying those mixed sets of "recovered" balls you find most places? Or just buy any of the cheap dozens they sell at Target?
    Yes, I think it can...depending on what you are looking for. As you look into this more you will learn that different balls have different characteristics that really do promote and help different elements of the game. This was a bit of a mind blowing concept to me maybe a year ago before I became active on THP. This may not be right, but here's how I think of it:

Premium balls - they purport to do it all

Almost premium - urethane covers and some amount of lesser technology than the premiums

"Good" distance balls - no urethane cover but added technologies to affect performance (e.g., e6)

"Regular" distance balls - cheaper balls that tend to promote distance at the expense of greenside performance.

For a few bucks more you can play the e6 (there are others but this is the one I play and know) that really will help keep the ball straight. These are great if you are struggling to keep it in play. If you are playing better and want more performance around the green you can move up to a premium/almost premium ball.
    Driver: R1 Black - Aldila RIP Phenom 58g, stiff
    Fairway Wood: G20 3W - TFC 169F, stiff
    Hybrids: RazrX, 3h,4h, stiff stock
    Irons: i25 4 - SW, TFC 189I, Stiff
    Wedges: J40 58* - DG Spinner
    Putter: Counter Balanced PCB

Handicap
    40+
    Thanks
    I may want to get that e6 just to get the orange one! I'm not always great at finding my ball in the deep rough I tend to get into!

R9 Supertri
    Tight Lies 16*
    Fybrid 5W 18*
    Idea Tech V3 3H 19*
    Idea Tech V3 4H 22*
    8881 BLK Putter

@GiantLB56
    Handicap
    16 GHIN
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 688 Posts
    Second for the Nike Mojo it is a pretty good ball for the price, I also like the Nike Vapor Black as well. I think the Vapor Blacks are a bit more expensive but worth checking out. I also have put Srixon into the mix I have used the Q Stars and really like the way they perform.

For me I can not justtify spending 50 bucks for a dozen golf balls that just doesn't make sense for me and my game. I love eBay for used balls there are some great deals out there and you can barely tell they have been used.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.
    In my -IER TM RBZ Stage 2 Staff Bag

R1 Driver 10.5*/ 1* closed
    Amp Cell 3/4 16*
    Mashie TM3 20.5* and T4 23*
    AMP Cell 5-PW
    CG14 52*
    Vokey 48*and 56* SM4
    White Ice 35'
    Ball- B330 RX

Handicap
    Winter
    Thanks
    I've done some experimenting with lots of different balls, and there really isn't a lot of difference for me. I like to buy premium ones now and then for the fun of it, but they don't improve my game any, and it hurts to see them go into the woods or water. The best ball for me as a high handicapper is whatever is the longest and straightest. There are plenty of choices. If you want a lot of distance, there is the Noodle, Precept and even balls designed for women like the new Bridgestone Lady Precept. I used those last week and they were a great ball for me. Then there are the Titleist NXT Tour and the Velocity. I've also found them to be good.

For a high handicapper, as long as you aren't using a ball that gives you too much sidespin, the ball you choose won't make a lot of difference physically, but it can mentally. There are perfectly good brands and models out there that I simply won't use just because I had a bad round with them. I know it wasn't the ball's fault, but it's a mental thing. If I don't have confidence in my equipment I can't play my best.

Driver: Testing FT Optiforce thanks to and
    3 Wood: Razr Hawk
    Irons: R11 4-9I
    Wedges: 44*,48*,52*,56*,60*
    Putter: Ghost Spider S
    Balls: Velocity & Laddie X
    Bag: Catalina 3.0 Cart Bag

Handicap
    Thanks
    A year ago, I couldn't have cared less, and would have bought on marketing and price but now - I've tested a lot of balls and I believe they can make a difference, combo of mental (confidence) and performance (how you like to play).

E6 is a fantastic ball, there's a massive thread in here, and I played it for a while but I couldn't get to grips with the run out on the green (didn't suit me) so I lost confidence around the greens. I now play the B330RX which doesn't run as much for me but is only marginally wider off the tee. I buy lake balls and don't pay too much.

My suggestion would be to pick up a mixed bag of lake balls and then try and play some head to head holes to narrow down what *you* like and what works for *you*.

Handicap
    13.6 GHIN
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobey View Post
    I've done some experimenting with lots of different balls, and there really isn't a lot of difference for me. I like to buy premium ones now and then for the fun of it, but they don't improve my game any, and it hurts to see them go into the woods or water. The best ball for me as a high handicapper is whatever is the longest and straightest. There are plenty of choices. If you want a lot of distance, there is the Noodle, Precept and even balls designed for women like the new Bridgestone Lady Precept. I used those last week and they were a great ball for me. Then there are the Titleist NXT Tour and the Velocity. I've also found them to be good.

For a high handicapper, as long as you aren't using a ball that gives you too much sidespin, the ball you choose won't make a lot of difference physically, but it can mentally. There are perfectly good brands and models out there that I simply won't use just because I had a bad round with them. I know it wasn't the ball's fault, but it's a mental thing. If I don't have confidence in my equipment I can't play my best.
    I've seen a few people on THP commenting on how much they like the Lady Precept. That's intriguing. I'd like to hear a little more of what folks are seeing with this ball.
    "Your final goal is to convert your athletic swing to pure instinct rather than conscious thought." - David Leadbetter

TMX R11S Standbag
    R9 Supertri 9.5* w/Proforce V2 Stiff
    Speedline Super S 3W 15* w/Matrix HD Radix S 60 Stiff
    Idea Tech V4 3-hybrid Stiff
    JPX 825 Pro (4,5,6)/MP 64 (7-PW) w/Matrix Ozik Program 130 Regular
    ATV 52 & 58* Wedges
    Athena Fatso 5.0

Handicap
    USGA 7.0
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,068 Times in 3,939 Posts
    Bridgestone Lady Precept. $20 a dozen. Just because it says lady do not dismiss it. Plenty of low handicappers love this ball. Here is a thread with their thoughts: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...cept-Golf-Ball
    Proud Captain in the 2015 #THPLegacy
    WITB

Driver - FT Optiforce 460 w/ Radix HD4
    FW - Big Bertha 3W and 5W
    Hybrids - X2Hot 25 degree / Ozik Altus HB
    Irons - Apex 5-PW / Recoil 660 F3
    Wedges - 50 / 54 / 58
    Putter - Custom Fin
    Ball - SR2

Handicap
    Winter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moosejaa View Post
    I've seen a few people on THP commenting on how much they like the Lady Precept. That's intriguing. I'd like to hear a little more of what folks are seeing with this ball.
    I'm not a spin player and my max driver swing speed is around 90, so they just work good for my game. To tell the truth, I don't see a lot of difference in performance between them and the Laddie X that I love. But from what I've read and been told, the Laddie X was also originally designed for women, but so many men started playing them that they changed the name from Lady to Laddie so the guys wouldn't have to take a Sharpie to them to cross out the Lady part.

Driver: Testing FT Optiforce thanks to and
    3 Wood: Razr Hawk
    Irons: R11 4-9I
    Wedges: 44*,48*,52*,56*,60*
    Putter: Ghost Spider S
    Balls: Velocity & Laddie X
    Bag: Catalina 3.0 Cart Bag

Handicap
    Thanks
    I'd personally just go out and try a whole bunch of different types of golf balls. There really isn't a right or wrong ball to play, it's the ball that you feel gives you the best opportunity to score well.

The main factor in my opinion is cost. If you are a player who loses 2-5 balls a round, then playing a premium ball is going to beat up your wallet pretty good. There are so many good golf balls out there, that I don't think you will have any trouble finding one that fits your budget and your play style.
    Driver: G20 9.5* Stock Tour Shaft
    Fairway: Tight Lies Pro 14.5* Aldila Tour Blue
    Hybrid: 20* A12 Pro
    Irons: 2013 X-Forged 4-PW
    Wedges: 50*, 54*, 58*
    Putter: Pro Platinum Newport 2/ Black Series Tour Design #6

Handicap
    <18
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 833 Posts
    I'm a pretty-much permanent high handicapper, who's hit all manner of golf balls. I keep coming back to Top Flite Gamers for the cost and reduced side spin off the tee. The Bridgestone xFIXx is another good ball that won't kill your wallet.
    My #THMPC staff bag contains:
    WITB

Big Bertha 10.5 Fubuki Z stiff
    X2Hot 4-wood Tour Blue Stiff
    X2Hot 3 & 4 hybrid Ultralite shaft Stiff
    Apex 5-AW irons Recoil 660 F3
    MD2 54 & 58 S3000
    Sub-30 Type 10

Handicap
    20.4 OOB
    Thanks
    Have you played the gamer's I sent you? The Wilson Duo's and qstars are great balls. Other balls I have played with are the hex hot balls those are great. The thread on those bridgestone lady's balls has me seriously wanting to buy a dozen but I recently stocked up on chrome +'s.
    WITB:
    Driver:
    Classic 290 12*
    3 wood: Fybrid RS 15*
    5 wood: Fybrid RS 18*
    Hybrid:
    Fybrid RS 24*
    Irons:
    Di11 5-GW
    Wedges: Tom Watson 56* 60* FST Hi-Rev
    Putter: Method Core 3i
    Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball:
    Hex Chrome +

How I feel anytime I get a chance to sneak out and play a round.