Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually been pretty happy with the scope I have on my rifles. It is a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 6x18x50. For $100, it is hard to beat. It is definitely not a Zeiss or a Swarovski, but not bad.

Bushnell makes good scopes. There are certainly some good scopes under $200. I have certain brands I buy, and then stay away from the low end in those brands. I have been amazed at the quality of Vortex scopes. And will probably look towards them in the future again. Though not the Crossfire series.

Generally if the glass comes from the Philippines, or Japan its good.

I have actually been pretty happy with the scope I have on my rifles. It is a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 6x18x50. For $100, it is hard to beat. It is definitely not a Zeiss or a Swarovski, but not bad.

Expensive glass is a luxury. A large percentage of hunters will never need need the power a lot of todays scopes have. I'll take a hundred dollar scope and use the remainder to pay for other goodies, like another freezer :D

Expensive glass is a luxury. A large percentage of hunters will never need need the power a lot of todays scopes have. I'll take a hundred dollar scope and use the remainder to pay for other goodies, like another freezer :D

Or more ammo, can never have enough shootin to do!!

I don't buy a scope for zoom power. When I'm hunting I rarely go over 3x or 4x.

When I'm shooting long range 6-700 yards at this point I'm not gonna past 8x. Don't need it. The guys I know shooting at 1k or longer don't normally go past 10 or 12x. Its just not necessary with quality glass. And you lose to much field of vision.

The reason I buy quality is clarity, repeatability, light transfer.

When you look through a high dollar scope and then a low dollar scope you'll see the difference. Its simply outstanding.

Heck the great Carlos Hathcock made his longest shot (over a mile) with a 8 or 10 x fixed power Unertl scope.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I agree rhyno. Clarity is the most important thing to me. Good glass almost turns a 3x a 5x.

Ruger SR22
Ruger SR 40C
Ruger American .308
Saiga .308 with a Red Jacket conversion
Barret Rec7 6.8 spc
RedJacket AR15
Remington 870 tactical

Break open .308, it'll drop anything you'll hunt. Cheap, reliable as it gets and did I mention cheap.

.308 will handle any game in Northern or southern America in fact. Wide Range of bullet weights and designs that you can apply and gives you more options.

I've shot a bunch of guns, don't own one yet. I really like the Glock 17, and was about to buy one... Then I shot a Kimber 1911 and :beauty:. I loved it. Problem is the price tag...

For a first gun, I would look at maybe getting something little smaller, that's if you so chose to pursue a carry and conceal permit that the gun you buy can fit that role. If you liked the 17, look at the 19, holds 15+1 but can still be concealed pretty easily.

Oh right. There was one at the local gun shop for like $425 used.. I shot one the other day, so nice.

Springfield has done a nice job with the XD and XDM line, quality all around and good customer service. I shoot M&P's, Sig, and Walther (PPQ), and eyeing a few Glocks right now, but have not given into the darkside yet.

Give them all a try before buying, one thing I like about Glock and M&P’s is the bore Axis, is lower on both than the XD(M)’s, and for me it’s a bit less on muzzle flip. Everyone is different, so #1 thing is pick one of the top brands S&W, H&K, Sig, Glock, Springfield etc… and try them out and you will know which fits you best and what you need.

I have an Xdm .40 that came with that kit and I love it. Its a great gun. I had a M&P .40 as my first .40 and it was a great gun too. My Dad carries nothing but Glocks so he's in that camp.

Remember when TC just made a convertible single shot pistol and .22 pack gun?
I don't. Haven't they been making muzzle loaders awhile too? Anyway I may be pondering a TC pro hunter in 270 or 300 Winn mag. I'm not sure if I want the recoil of the 300 or not. I'm also not sure if I want to spend 800 bucks on a rifle and then have to scope it...

I don't. Haven't they been making muzzle loaders awhile too? Anyway I may be pondering a TC pro hunter in 270 or 300 Winn mag. I'm not sure if I want the recoil of the 300 or not. I'm also not sure if I want to spend 800 bucks on a rifle and then have to scope it...

Yes, their next line was a modern black powder rifle.

Quality glass is worth every penny, IMO.

You get less distortion, glare and better light collection. I really started to appreciate it on night hunts.

As for magnification, I think a lot of folks do put a lot more on than they need. For a big game rifle, a 3x9 is good for most, I'm really partial to my 4-14, and a fixed 6 power on another rifle. For prairie dogs, I like my 4-16, those suckers are small out at 400 yards!

I just use an Aimpoint on my AR for varmint eradication. It's fast to point and shoot.

Shiftless, swimmy-headed, and unpredictable. - Jefferson Davis Hogg

I did my firearms safety course today for long rifles and shot guns so I am now starting to build interest in shooting.

Does anyone have any tips?? I have a friend who actively hunts and is actually going to give me a couple ducks tomorrow, so I guess that's a start?

I could potentially have access to a couple .22s and a shotgun, but none of them have been fired in over 30-40 years (old farm boy guns). How would I resurrect them, or should I just buy new ones?

I know one .22 is in pretty good condition so without too much work I think it would be made operational again. My friend who is giving me ducks told me about a .17 HMR that he wants to buy, so I googled them and they seem to be cheaper than .22 rifles, and much more powerful. Does anyone have any experience with them? Cost vs. effectiveness/fun is a factor for sure. We have another friend whose dad owns a farm so we could potentially go plink gophers over there, and another friend has access to 3 rifle ranges in town so what's the best to get started and such?

I can honestly say that I do not think I am ready to take the life of another creature at this moment in time, so I will be primarily shooting targets for the next year.

Hey Ratfink, hunting (killing) isn't for everyone, and that's okay. It's not as glamorous as it looks on all the hunting shows. You don't have to hunt to be pro-hunting or to be a shooter. Good luck with your shooting.

I carry a kel-tec PF9 everyday. I usually don't have it on at the course, but I do have it in my bag sometimes.

I'm going to buy me a shotgun for protection when we move to our new home. We will live out in the country with a huge field behind our house. If I see one of them crawling critters in my yard, I'm going to fire some buck shot at arse. :deadhorse:

I need to picture my guns for this thread. I touched them again last night for the first time in a while. The handguns at least. I wont lie I wanted to shoot the LCD in our bedroom just because.

I need to picture my guns for this thread. I touched them again last night for the first time in a while. The handguns at least. I wont lie I wanted to shoot the LCD in our bedroom just because.

Pictures of guns take a close second behind pictures of golf clubs in the awesome factor. Post away man.

Thanks! Maybe once I become more comfortable around guns (never shot one before) I may decide to change my mind, but as it is, I just want to be able to be confident and safe around them. I think it's an important skill to have so that you don't freak out at the sight of one.

Hey Ratfink, hunting (killing) isn't for everyone, and that's okay. It's not as glamorous as it looks on all the hunting shows. You don't have to hunt to be pro-hunting or to be a shooter. Good luck with your shooting.

I carry a kel-tec PF9 everyday. I usually don't have it on at the course, but I do have it in my bag sometimes.

I sure hate that I am selling off my collection to fund my golf habits. I have collected for 30+ years but recently fell in love with golf again. Working 12-14 hours a day plus wife working 40 a week and barely making ends meet requires me to sell something if I want to buy something:( My last to go though will be my beloved Marlin #20 Octagon Barreled .22 pump. If you know about this gun you will know why it will be left for last!

I'm going to buy me a shotgun for protection when we move to our new home. We will live out in the country with a huge field behind our house. If I see one of them crawling critters in my yard, I'm going to fire some buck shot at arse. :deadhorse:

Ha! I'd save the buck shot for intruders and get some bird shot for those crawling critters. Although a 3-wood or 4-iron makes quick work of most crawling critters!

Ha! I'd save the buck shot for intruders and get some bird shot for those crawling critters. Although a 3-wood or 4-iron makes quick work of most crawling critters!

#4 Buck in my SPX 930, with slugs in the side saddle.

My M&P .357 sig compact i carry if i am not carrying my M&P 9 compact.

MP357c.jpg

#4 Buck in my SPX 930, with slugs in the side saddle.

My M&P .357 sig compact i carry if i am not carrying my M&P 9 compact.

MP357c.jpg

Very nice. I have the M&P 9 and the M&P 9 compact. I don't intend on ever selling a gun but if I had to, these two would be some of the last to go...

I'm just starting to get shooting ramped up again since the golf season is getting long in the tooth and hunting season is just getting started. I've been shooting my handgun off and on all year and occasionally shooting skeet. We have a range about 10 mins from my house so it's pretty convenient.

My current collection:
12GA Winchester Ranger 1300 special edition pump - love how fast this thing pumps, I can get 3 shots off pretty fast.
Brazilian made .410 ducks unlimited special edition single shot. My dad won this gun at a dinner it's pretty light weight and great for ruffled grouse.
CZ 75B shadow 9mm dual tone - bought this in the spring, it's pretty accurate and looks awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back