Time for a new putter

Juddy

Reaction score
Handicap
After changing my irons and driver this year I thought it was time to research a new putter.

I've checked out the internet and I've discovered that I may have been a bit naive when it comes to putting (the weakest part of my game), in terms of swing type and the weighting in the putter.

After spending some time practicing my putting stroke against a skirting board at home I've learnt that I've got a slight arc putting stroke. No matter what I tried I just don't feel comfortable with a straight-back, straight through stroke.

I'm using an Odyssey 2 ball putter which is face balanced and (as I've discovered) is the wrong type of putter for my stroke.

Am I right in thinking that I need a toe heel balanced putter, and if I am which putter models are toe heel balanced??

I am a fan of Odyssey putters, but Ping and Nike putters get good reviews, and I have also discovered SeeMore putters (thanks to this website).

Any model suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

check out some of the YES putters, they are like $50 and you can get one and if it doesn't work for you you can sell it

I would also take a look at Cleveland Classics if you want a non-insert putter. They are some of the best for the money (you can find them between $50-70). I just got one recently and really, really like it so far.

Thanks for the responses found a couple on ebay for £15 so I will keep an eye on them.

Putters are so personal. I focused on 3 favorites this Spring after spending days in the stores trying them all - the Nike Method Concept, Scotty Newport 2, and Cleveland Classic 7.

I wound up with the Classic. I didn't believe I could like the $80 option the best and tried not to, but in the end it suited me best.

Moral of that story...the Classics really are tremendous quality for the money so give them a try with confidence. There are several varieties to choose from.

Same goes for any "Anser" clone. Testing putters is a good winter pass-time.

It's been a while now, but I think that Mike Method Concept had a toe bias.

Have fun.

Keep an eye out for a used FGP from Seemore. Every now and then they show up on the for sale page
I picked one up that was priced right and I'm glad I did.
Right now I'm using my Betti but when I fall into a slump I pull the FGP out and train in the basement working on a good putter stroke.

I just got a seemore putter and I've absolutely loved it so far.

I've even made a couple of long putts on the two rounds which I've used it and I never do that.

It's just helped me put great roll on putts.

The Scotty Cameron California Del Mar is a heel shafted and well balanced putter on the higher end of the price spectrum. The Rife Abaco is a similar model to the Del Mar that is a little lighter and kind of a medium price range.

I bought two putters a week ago, and another two weeks before that, all Cleveland Classics. I bought a 4.5 Bronze first that my wife immediately stole and has been lights-out with. A few days later, I ordered a #7 black after messing around with one in the shop. I have always liked the look of T. P. Mills putters, but prefer a sight line. Rather than go full-on custom ($$$), I found a bargain on the #7 and bought it. Not 48 hours later, I found another deal ($40) on a new #4 platinum. I play now with a Mizuno/Bettinardi C-03, which is the same style as the Cleveland #4, just a bit lighter. I wanted to try the heavier Cleveland to see if it would improve my distance control.

Putting back-to-back with the Bettinardi, I can feel a difference. The MizuNardi has a bit more "ping" to a good hit, with the Clevelands being similar but slightly more muted. Still, I'm putting well enough with the #7 Black that I'm having it lengthened and adjusted to fit me, and the new Salty cork grip I got put on. I can't wait. I'm liking the #7 very much so far.

I can vouch for the Nike Method 001. The soft polymer grooves combined with the milled face starts the ball on a very controlled forward roll at impact and the feel is incredible. My distance control has never been better. I've been gaming it for 3 years which is the longest I've ever gone. I putt so well with it that getting a new putter has never entered my mind.

Imagine there was some technology that ensured you were properly set up and aligned every time you hit driver and that technology effectively gave you exactly 1 physical act to perform which ensured the ball flew perfectly straight every time. Would you want that driver? Welcome to the world of SeeMore putters. There are numerous really solid putters in the marketplace but because they lack this technology they all exist in a very different paradigm - the paradigm of feel - or in other words human factors which create inconsistency. In my opinion anyone that can't game a SeeMore starts their round at a pronounced disadvantage.

I used a Ping putter for years till I hit a Taylormade Monza Spider in a golf store a few years ago.
I was sold that day. Now I game a TM Ghost Spider and swear by it. Give one of those a swing and see what you think.

Like others have said, do yourself a favor and give SeeMore a shot, they are truly amazing and the RST will totally help your putting game.

Like others have said, do yourself a favor and give SeeMore a shot, they are truly amazing and the RST will totally help your putting game.

i'm gonna be another vote for SeeMore. I was lucky enough to win a SB2c at the AC outing and it is not leaving my bag. the RST is pretty cool and lets you know if you're making an incorrect stroke...but to me, the feel off the face is by far the best i've had in my hands. my dad even tried one putting session on the practice green at my home course and bought my same model that afternoon. at the very least you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not rolling one of these bad boys

You honestly can not be advised on a putter choice. It is completely on your own feel and how it is perceived by your own eye. I have like 10 putters that I rotate throughout a tournament season if I get the idea that Im playing better with one than the others. It's 100% mental.

You honestly can not be advised on a putter choice. It is completely on your own feel and how it is perceived by your own eye. I have like 10 putters that I rotate throughout a tournament season if I get the idea that Im playing better with one than the others. It's 100% mental.

Not too long ago I would have agreed with this completely. But that's the thing with SeeMore that makes it so unique, it is not about feel and it is not mental. It is methodology guided by technology. If you do steps 1, 2 and 3 you will roll the ball straight on your line.

I recently went and got fitted as well. and had the same epiphany. However, I didn't realize my stroke was more suited for a face balanced putter (sbst), and after hitting several styles, I walked out with a Odyssey Metal X #7, and haven't looked back.

I used a Ping putter for years till I hit a Taylormade Monza Spider in a golf store a few years ago.
I was sold that day. Now I game a TM Ghost Spider and swear by it. Give one of those a swing and see what you think.

I've used both the Monza Spider and Ghost Spider and I liked them but wasn't 100% sold on my putter until my switch to seemore

Tried out the Cleveland Classic #2, #7 and the Yes Callie putter.

I know the Yes Callie is for a slight arc stroke, but does anybody know about the two Cleveland classic models that I've tried??

Thanks again for the help.

What do you want to know about the Cleveland putters? IMHO, they're a steal for what you get. I bought a #7 two weeks ago, have played 4 rounds with it, and putted extremely well using it. It's now at my clubfitters getting adjusted a bit better to fit me (lengthened and possibly lie angle adjusted, along with a new grip). I think the only weak part of the putters is the grip - the stock grip feels like holding an inner tube to me.

The #7 is very similar (ok, it's a copy) of a TP Mills design called the Softail. The #7, and I believe the older version of the Rife Cayman Island series are about the only way to get the Softail head shape without ponying up about $300 for a custom Mills. If you're used to putting with an Anser/Anser 2 type head, the #7 is a bit different - it's shorter heel to toe than the Ansers. Frames the ball differently.

I really liked the Rife Cayman Island, but never got the chance to pick one up when they discontinued the line. The Cleveland may even be better than the Rife was. I can tell you that my Mizuno/Bettinardi C-03 is going to be benched for at least a few months while I mess with this Cleveland.

I really just wanted to know if the cleveland putters are designed for a slight arc putter strike

Muddy there are so many different putters on the market. I really think you need to get as many in your hands as you can. If there is a store that you can go to demo some, I would suggest that.

If your looking for a bargin then by all means keep on track with your current path. But if you have the desire and are able, please go demo some putters.

I really just wanted to know if the cleveland putters are designed for a slight arc putter strike
every company including cleveland will have putters for all different stroke types

I can't seem to find out which model of the Cleveland Classic 2 series is for a slight arc stroke because they don't seem to mention it.

Other companies such as Ping and Yes state the type of putting stoke the putter is designed for, which gives me a starting point to work from.

Back