Top 10 Coaching Jobs in Football

Top 10 Coaching Jobs in Football

• Absolutely.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • You gotta be kidding me.

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Truthfully the whole list is like that though isn't it? What makes the Packers job better than the Cowboys job? If its about wins, then what makes it better than the Patriots job? Its just an article to provoke conversation because truthfully while there are a few gauges, it would be very different depending on the candidate.

Haha... it worked didn't it? It provoked me to pass it along to you guys!

And those numbers are probably low..........there is just so much money in that program it's actually funny. Merchandising alone would make someone laugh.

This. I mean have you seen Godzilla-tron!

This is BS. We all know that any coach would take the Cowboys gig in a heartbeat and gladly share the responsibilities with JJ.

Interesting thought. My question is this, more attractive job in the NFL? Cowboys or Packers? I know Jerry throws money at coaches. But what one would be more appealing to most coaches?

Or let me rephrase it; if salaries are similar, the organization and legacy are the only differentiating factors which one could pull Nick Saban [or any other very high profile college coach] to their sidelines?

This is BS. We all know that any coach would take the Cowboys gig in a heartbeat and gladly share the responsibilities with JJ.
I think JJ would scare me away kind of. But...not being a Cowboys fan and completely neutral here..I would think being the coash of the Dallas Cowboys would be highly sought after. I actually thought they would be on the list.

Interesting thought. My question is this, more attractive job in the NFL? Cowboys or Packers? I know Jerry throws money at coaches. But what one would be more appealing to most coaches?

Or let me rephrase it; if salaries are similar, the organization and legacy are the only differentiating factors which one could pull Nick Saban [or any other very high profile college coach] to their sidelines?

I have a question right back at you. In a different thread, you said money talks and that is the reason that one coach left. Turned out that it was not money all that much in the grand scheme of things, but you are right, money talks. If you are looking at the question you are posing, you could substitute those two teams for any of the other 32 teams and it will usually come down to existing talent, location, etc...If you think coaches are coming into the NFL as a head coach and thinking about tradition, you are mistaken in my opinion. There timelines are way too short to think about what might have happened in cheeseland or anywhere else in 1913.

In all honesty, that was sarcasm. In Big D, the head coach is paid like one with the control of an assistant coach. No thanks.

In all honesty, that was sarcasm. In Big D, the head coach is paid like one with the control of an assistant coach. No thanks.

Yup. missed that sarcasm.

Yeah I honestly don't think a high profile coach would want to coach for JJ UNLESS he was involved or had a say with JJ for a GM candidate or Vice Versa.

I have a question right back at you. In a different thread, you said money talks and that is the reason that one coach left. Turned out that it was not money all that much in the grand scheme of things, but you are right, money talks. If you are looking at the question you are posing, you could substitute those two teams for any of the other 32 teams and it will usually come down to existing talent, location, etc...If you think coaches are coming into the NFL as a head coach and thinking about tradition, you are mistaken in my opinion. There timelines are way too short to think about what might have happened in cheeseland or anywhere else in 1913.

I know what I said about that other coach, and that the salary isn't that much different. But I still think that money, but now ego padding, played a big role there. I don't think that a "world championship" from 1919 plays a role, but ownership and the ability to play well with others is a huge. But the question posed in the ESPN article does take into account history. Right or wrong. I do know that a lot of other factors go into it, including availability and talent.

I am very green and gold biased on this, but the Packers coaching job is a better job than the Cowboys, if for no other reason than Jerry Jones going senile.

Texans was the one I questioned. I agree with you, it's to get comments or "hits" on the website.

And really, in today's football world, if you don't win or show great improvement in only a handful of years, your fired no matter what school your at

Lol unless you're stupid like Virginia Tech and never fire anyone

I know what I said about that other coach, and that the salary isn't that much different. But I still think that money, but now ego padding, played a big role there. I don't think that a "world championship" from 1919 plays a role, but ownership and the ability to play well with others is a huge. But the question posed in the ESPN article does take into account history. Right or wrong. I do know that a lot of other factors go into it, including availability and talent.

I am very green and gold biased on this, but the Packers coaching job is a better job than the Cowboys, if for no other reason than Jerry Jones going senile.

Perhaps, but saying that would also mean that the Patriots coaching job would be significantly better than the Packers. As would about 14 other jobs. If you want to base things on the person in charge, then one must consider salary availability, money to spend, etc etc.

And for the record, as of right now, I am not sure I would say any job is better than the Cowboys job. They are the most valuable team in the league (arguably), and they have not won in quite some time. Any coach that goes there and wins, will be able to write his own ticket for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps, but saying that would also mean that the Patriots coaching job would be significantly better than the Packers. As would about 14 other jobs. If you want to base things on the person in charge, then one must consider salary availability, money to spend, etc etc.

And for the record, as of right now, I am not sure I would say any job is better than the Cowboys job. They are the most valuable team in the league (arguably), and they have not won in quite some time. Any coach that goes there and wins, will be able to write his own ticket for the rest of their lives.

The Patriots job is fantastic. I know that profitability and money to spend is huge, that is one of the downfalls of the Packers. The wallet isn't as deep.

I agree with it for the most part. Except I don't see how the Giants are as high as they are, or why even the Texans are on the list to begin with. How can an franchise that has only 10 years under it's belt make a list of most wanted coaching jobs? Also funny to see they linked Michigan and OSU together. And where are the Cowboys?

Job security is only absent when you can't do anything with your recruits. Davie ran a dieing system, (Option. Out of date now, but when he coached it was on it's way out) Willingham couldn't get the good recruits, (I hated the way he was fired. And hated that it was then linked to racism) and Weis could get the top-notch recruits, but he wouldn't develop them. He just expected them to play just how they were. Only person he really elevated was Brady Quinn, and Quinn was already going to be great even without him. To me (a die hard ND fan) it wasn't about there is no job security, it's just they didn't live up to the hype. And really, in today's football world, if you don't win or show great improvement in only a handful of years, your fired no matter what school your at

Brady Quinn was a ty willingham player. Along with Jeff samardija and Tommy z those guys were some of Notre dames finest athletes that were brought by ty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Steelers have 6 Super Bowl trophies, a tremendously storied past, and one of the best ownership families in sports. Every home game has been sold out since 1972. That job isn't even in the top 15? Uhhhh.

Oh, and they've had 3 head coaches since 1969. 43 years! Job security has to count for something.

Weird list. I just don't see how he fails to put both the Steelers and Cowboys on there.

Brady Quinn was a ty willingham player. Along with Jeff samardija and Tommy z those guys were some of Notre dames finest athletes that were brought by ty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yea but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Other than those players, and really a handful of players in total, his recruiting classes were terrible.

The Steelers have 6 Super Bowl trophies, a tremendously storied past, and one of the best ownership families in sports. Every home game has been sold out since 1972. That job isn't even in the top 15? Uhhhh.

Oh, and they've had 3 head coaches since 1969. 43 years! Job security has to count for something.

Weird list. I just don't see how he fails to put both the Steelers and Cowboys on there.

That might be the only other job that should be above GB on the list. Since history and legacy play a large part, it should probably be #1.

Great point SP, I did not think of the Steelers when I mentioned the Cowboys and Bears as 2 pro teams that should be included. These are certainly 3 pro teams that should be included to give the poll any valadity IMO.

The Steelers, somehow, lost money last year. Aside from history and stability there might be more going on there than we know. One thing I do know is they are having some legal issues even expanding one of the smallest stadiums which some crazy to me.

It depends on how you determine Top a well, a lot of factors could be in that decision.

I mean I get why ND is on here, but I think it's a terrible job. Ask Ty Willingham, Bob Davie, or Charlie Weis just to name a few. You don't win in 2 years, you're gone. I woulndn't call that a great job. Sure you have good facilities and recruiting, but job stability isn't there.

I think that is major college football in general these days, not just Notre Dame.

I think of Alabama in this discussion.
Lose to Auburn? Done. Next coach, please step up.

I honestly thought they'd be top 2 or 3 when I clicked on the link.

And UT and Houston? Really?

I think of Alabama in this discussion.
Lose to Auburn? Done. Next coach, please step up.

I honestly thought they'd be top 2 or 3 when I clicked on the link.

And UT and Houston? Really?

UT should definitely be in this list. I think that Nate said it earlier:

And those numbers are probably low..........there is just so much money in that program it's actually funny. Merchandising alone would make someone laugh.

UT is a premier job in the country from all angles. Recruiting, money, support, alumni, etc... It is a honey hole for all things college football. And I hate UT, but they know how to run a program

UT should definitely be in this list.

UT is a premier job in the country from all angles. Recruiting, money, support, alumni, etc... It is a honey hole for all things college football. And I hate UT, but they know how to run a program

Add on that Texas is top 2 in recruiting when it comes to football (Florida) and your the namesake university for the state? For any coach here, recruiting should be the next best thing behind a cake-walk.

Yea but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Other than those players, and really a handful of players in total, his recruiting classes were terrible.
bob morton, john carlson, darius walker, those are just some of the guys i can name off the top of my head. Ty had a lot of good players, but i just dont think he was a good coach. He was a great guy however though.

This is the one I was looking for!!! Not a Steeler fan but definently an admirer. One of the top franchises in any sport!!

Back