Preferred course length?

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
Last year the USGAs Tee It Forward initiative got me thinking about course lengths to play. With my misery in hitting anything between 170-275 yards, I chose lengths between 6000-6100 as often as possible.

Now that I have hybrids I can hit, I'm thinking up to 6500 is playable now.

What do you like to play?

Relatively short hitter so I prefer around 6000 max, but have been comfortable from 5800 to 6300

6,500 is very good. 6,800 is doable. I haven't tried 7k yet.

I do need to play a round from the front tees. Just for the experience and course management practice.

I like 6,000-6,300. My course is a little shorter because it has six par threes. If you added a 150-200 yards to two of the par threes and turned them into par 4's, we would be about 6,200-6,300 yards.

It really depends on the course. Where I usually play it's only about 6100 from the blue tees but it's pretty tight, very little in play if you get even a little wayward. I've played many courses that are longer but that I find more enjoyable because there are more options if if hitting it well.

6,500 is very good. 6,800 is doable. I haven't tried 7k yet.

I do need to play a round from the front tees. Just for the experience and course management practice.

Same with blu for me. 7k seems intimidating, but it depends on where the yardage is. If it's tacked onto par 5s, that's fine. I don't like 230 yard par 3s though.

Anything north of 6700. I like 7k. I played a 7200, last year...loved every minute of it.

I've stretched out to 7400+, it's a lot of work. I'm comfortable at 7200 to 6800

I prefer 6,700 to 7,000. It ensures that I'll hit driver a fair amount, which I like.

Although, I've played some much shorter courses where I found myself using every club in the bag. Course design plays just as much (if not more) into me enjoyment than the length.

I prefer 6,700 to 7,000. It ensures that I'll hit driver a fair amount, which I like.

Although, I've played some much shorter courses where I found myself using every club in the bag. Course design plays just as much (if not more) into me enjoyment than the length.

75@Clive playing just over 6,400. I'd say it was a great design and you seemed to love it.

6000 works for me.

I prefer courses below 6500 yards. I don't drive the ball far enough to score well on longer courses. I'm with Tpluff on the long par 3s as well.

I like the 6300-6500 range, anything over that I'm moving up a tee box

The two courses I regularly play are 6400 & 6600. That is a good distance for me and allows me to manage the course and attack when the option presents itself. I have played 6800 - 7100 tees before, but with me not being long off the tee I have to really focus on my course management and be ok with laying up to a wedge distance I like. I should play these more now that I think about it because it will force me to work on my short game which can only help my overall game no matter the distance from the tees.

6600 or so seems to be my sweet spot. I tend to not have the length to really compete in anything 7000+

KG

Just Tapping Away

Most courses that I play are usually 6300-6500 from the men's tees, which I am very comfortable with.

6300 to 6500 is a comfortable range. Over that and it begins to get messy. I can play longer it's just not as enjoyable to me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Anywhere between 6300-6600 I am good with. Longer than 6600 can be long second shots for me. Have played 7+ a few times just for fun and the rounds have been up and down. Don't hit far enough to get into trouble or can't hit far enough to get past trouble.

My home course is 6400 yards from the back tees, I find it very manageable and at times too short. All the par 5's are reachable in 2 and we have no par 4's that require anymore than a 9i into the green. I've played courses over 7k and find them enjoyable as I get to hit clubs that I normally don't hit at our home course.
I've played short courses that are more difficult than some long courses I've played, in the end distance doesn't mean much to me and I've never turned down a chance to play a course based on it's length.

I'm comfortable at 6400 to 6800 and generally shoot around my handicap, 7000+ makes it a little tougher but doable.

6500-6800 is good for me. Anything longer is a big challenge for me.

6000-6300 works just fine for me.

6200 to 6400 is good for me

Same with blu for me. 7k seems intimidating, but it depends on where the yardage is. If it's tacked onto par 5s, that's fine. I don't like 230 yard par 3s though.

That's what I've noticed for the most part the extra yardage seems disproportionately added to par 3's.

Also I've found it interesting that when some people go down a tee box they do worse. 3 times last year I saw it, guys complaining that the shorter tees were bringing obstacles into play that they couldn't work around.

Back