salisboss gets fit/analyzed

salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
This year for my birthday my wife got a fitting with Tim Mosel in Denville, NJ http://www.timmosel.com/. Periodiucally he runs a $75 special for a set analysis/fitting. His shop is small but he has his launch monitor and bay in the back and all his club building equipment up front. He has a busy operation with many people stopping in while I was there (almost 2.5 hours).

He is a component builder and a big fan of Miura irons and Wishon woods and hybrids but will take OEM clubs and adjust to spec. for shafts he is a big fan of Matrix because for fitters they do flex by frequency and have upwards of 20 flexes to pinpoint the right shaft setup based on speed and loading. He said I was more of a swinger building speed via a smooth gradual swing vs a super aggressive hitter move. He uses a GolfAchiever II laser launch monitor for the analysis.

First up was irons and he actually has you hit his clubs that are built to his specs and will swap out clubs based on what he sees and gets for data. After about 30 balls (after warming up) across the three 5 irons (there were noticeable differences across the three clubs. After a short break I hit his driver (no knowledge of spec) but also compared it to the three drivers I had with me (in signature). He put the XL Custom in his frequency and told me the shaft was way too soft so that will be going in the marketplace. The Classic was frequency wise a bit stiff but I really like the head so I may have him put one of the recommended shafts in the head. Last was my Cobra which he about two degrees higher lofted than stamped but the NV-65 shaft I am using was right in the middle of the frequency he would put me in.

Because of THP we were able to have really educated conversations about the process and equipment etc. While explaining my results he put some of my stuff on his machines. Some interesting points:

My R flex 3W shaft is actually 30cpm stiffer than my driver shaft recommendation and I should go softer. My existing irons are only 1/4" long of his rec but the flex is actually by cpm senior though marked R.

HIS REC'S:

Undersized Grips (I wanted this going in)

Driver:
44" @ 12* actual loft with a 243cpm frequency shaft (his recommendations Matrix Kujoh 65W, Radix 7321, White Tie)

Irons:

38" 5-iron with KBS Tour 90 shafts at 287 cpm. 62* Lie angle.
Kujoh 85i or KBS Tour 90 shafts at 287 cpm.

The only full clubs he recommended was a 4H head built to 4i spec to go 4i distance because I am a little inconsistent with my 4i. Additionally he would have scrap my 3W and go with a 20* 5W to spec to fill the driver to 3H gap. His club prices are reasonable so I pose a question to the forum.

For the iron work specifically should I just reshaft and regrip my Burners (a few year old model that I bought last year for $349 new) for $50 a club or spend about $500-600 for a whole new set from him? I could always sell the burners to help defray the cost of the new clubs.

at a total of $350-$400 to reshaft everything (dependent upon whether you reshaft the 4i) you are nearly at the cost of new ones anyway... I would think selling the current set as is would cover most, if not all of the added cost for the new irons built to spec.

I'd go new.

Any other thoughts? First thing on the agenda will be to get undersize grips on my current sticks as I won't be buying a new iron set at this point in the year.

I'd just get the grips and save the shaft money on a new set when you're ready

I'm facing a similar decision, and I'm leaning toward saving up and buying a new set. I don't want to spend a lot of money to reshaft clubs if I don't know how the heads will feel after they're paired with new shafts. That's an overly expensive experiment, at least for my budget.

If you're not set up to do it yourself you might as well buy new.

Kujoh is a cheaper shaft, so might be an option that saves you some money on the driver.

If you're not set up to do it yourself you might as well buy new.

Kujoh is a cheaper shaft, so might be an option that saves you some money on the driver.
What would be the difference between the kujoh 65w,radix 7321 and white tie besides price point?

I don't know in terms of performance, but otherwise something like materials or how they are made I'm guessing.

I was in the same position a few years back, I bought my 1st set of irons in R flex, my swing got stronger and I needed S flex shafts. So my options were to re-shaft my 1st set or go new... after testing what was available at the time I decided on new.

Questions for you... do you really like your Burner heads? Can you see yourself gaming them long term after you re-shaft? The way I see it, you're spending $400 regardless.

1) Reshaft 4i-AW, 8 clubs x $50 = $400
vs.
2) New set from your fitter: $600 - $200 (selling Burners) = $400

Either way you go, $400 is a nice chunk of change... I'd try and sample anything and everything in the $400 range to help make the best decision.

For the cost on reshaft, I would just get a new set built and sell the Burners to recoup a bit. What kind of irons are we talking about for this as well? I built my entire set for just over 200 and they are 1020 forged 3-pw with Matrix graphite shafts.

For the cost on reshaft, I would just get a new set built and sell the Burners to recoup a bit. What kind of irons are we talking about for this as well? I built my entire set for just over 200 and they are 1020 forged 3-pw with Matrix graphite shafts.

He can take OEM heads and build to spec but my fitter/builder generally works with Wishon and Miura components. Sometimes I wish I had the space and equipment to do some of this myself.

He can take OEM heads and build to spec but my fitter/builder generally works with Wishon and Miura components. Sometimes I wish I had the space and equipment to do some of this myself.

I only ask because for $600 I would gladly take a nice set of Miura or Wishon forged components built to my specs. Would be intrigued to know which model he would do for this cost. I am sure they won't be something like baby blades or anything like that.

I only ask because for $600 I would gladly take a nice set of Miura or Wishon forged components built to my specs. Would be intrigued to know which model he would do for this cost. I am sure they won't be something like baby blades or anything like that.
That I have to discuss with him. We didn't get into head specifics just shafts and adjustments to my current clubs. I can guarantee there will probably be no blades for me in the near future. #gimmesomecavity

Back