Kelly Plantation in Destin 7/8/2013

Byra

Reaction score
Handicap
I played Kelly Plantation in Destin last Monday. It was just after several days of torrential rains, and I was worried about the condition, but it was amazingly well drained, with just a couple of low spots that had standing water. I played in the afternoon around 2:30, and got the twilight rate of $79. I was a single, and got paired up with another guy that turned out to be really good. I think he shot about 72.

The course has 5 sets of tees and we played from the 2nd longest set. Its fairly wide open, typical resort set up. The greens were fast and true and really nice. All of the grass was in top condition. The green fee included range balls, and the course has a big practice area. The carts have GPS, but my playing partner also had a rangefinder and he was convinced that the GPS was off by up to 20 yards at times, and I think he was right.

There is a lot of water in play, most of it lateral and just one forced carry that I remember. A couple of the pins were next to the water's edge which was fun. There are lots of bunkers, and the sand was fluffy and perfect, very playable.

It was not super-busy, and we played in just under 4 hours, after playing through a couple of slower groups, including a pair of walking 13 year old boys that were really good.

Unfortunately it was the only round I got in when I was in Destin last week, but I picked a great course for it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

--Byra

Great review, i get up to the panhandle a couple of times a year, I will have to check it out.

I was in Destin last week for a family reunion. 6 of us played Regatta Bay ($99 golfnow deal). It was a very pretty course - not sure I would pay the rack rate of $139. Quite a few forced carries on the back 9. Front 9 was a bit more wide open. Staff was excellent but only 1 visit from the cart girl during the round. Finished in 4 hrs 15 minutes. Then on Friday we played Indian Bayou($54). Originally we were booked for Thursday but due to heavy rain we moved it to Friday. Course had a few additional path only holes and there was some soggy spots. I really liked the course. Most of the water/swamp were lateral so no forced carries. Cart girl came by 4 times. Pace of play was good. Started as a 2 some but picked up 2 guys at the turn and we finished in 4 hours. Quite a few courses in the Destin area but only got to play these 2

Back