Wedges length question

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought some new grips to re-grip my 56 and 60 today. However remembering these were from my old set I decided to measure them. Sure enough they are both 36.5" long which is about 1" long from standard. Last year when I got new irons I was fitted at standard length.

So should I trim the butt end 1" shorter before regripping or leave them alone? What changes could I expect if I did do this? Would it affect the lie? Would I lose distance?

Unless you are having problems I'd leave them alone.

• Admin
I know I probably should, but considering they technically "should" be an 1" shorter I'm tempted to make it right.

In that case, yes it could affect lie and yes you will probably lose distance.

• Admin
LOL ok thanks so if they were bent 2up and were 1" long that would have technically made them 4 up right? So now would I be just back to 2up?

I honestly don't know man. I wish I could help you more, but I can't. A good fitter should be able to square it away for you.

• Admin
Ok thanks Hawk. I think I remember someone once telling me adding 1" to the shaft is the same as adjusting the lie 2 degrees up, but not the right way to do it. When I got fitted for standard irons last year the guy told me to keep my wedges as they were in decent shape. I've been in the market for new ones anyhow. So if this screws me up I guess I'll just have to go buy new ones. :act-up:

The lie is still 2˚ up but adding the 1" will make the effective lie 4˚ up. Agreed with Hawk that you should probably talk to a fitter. May be as easy as a quick phone call.

I do my best to match lengths with roughly what my set wedges would be (lie is actually a touch upright at the moment), but if you're comfortable with them as is, it may not be worth messing with.

Also if you end up trimming them, I recommend the cheapo pipe cutter from home depot. It's like $6 and works great. If the blade wheel wears out, it's a cheap fix.

Also if you end up trimming them, I recommend the cheapo pipe cutter from home depot. It's like $6 and works great. If the blade wheel wears out, it's a cheap fix.

I bought one elsewhere for $10 and was amazed at how easy it was to use.

I bought one elsewhere for $10 and was amazed at how easy it was to use.

Yep. Probably not the best thing for it, but it works on butt extensions for graphite shafts as well.

Effective lie...thats what it was called. Thanks. Well I ended up doing it. I happened to have all the tools here at work to do it. Had both trimmed and regripped in about 10 mins. Heading to the range before my league tonight. Hopefully it wont change things that much.

Effective lie...thats what it was called. Thanks. Well I ended up doing it. I happened to have all the tools here at work to do it. Had both trimmed and regripped in about 10 mins. Heading to the range before my league tonight. Hopefully it wont change things that much.

You might lose a tiny bit of distance, but that would be it... You may also gain it back via better contact. Good luck!

Trimming them will change the swingweight. I took 3/4" off my driver and it completely changed the feel but with a wedge it shouldn't be a big deal. I play my 60 degree a 1/2" short and I like it. Gives me more control around the green.

I don't really know if you will lose distance, but I had a 56/60 pair of Mizuno wedges a few years back and they were super-long (way too long for my 5'11" body). I always knew they were too long for me when preparing to hit a shot or chip, and it really threw me off. So much less feel, so many stubby, chunky chips.....nightmare!

I bought some new grips to re-grip my 56 and 60 today. However remembering these were from my old set I decided to measure them. Sure enough they are both 36.5" long which is about 1" long from standard. Last year when I got new irons I was fitted at standard length.

So should I trim the butt end 1" shorter before regripping or leave them alone? What changes could I expect if I did do this? Would it affect the lie? Would I lose distance?

My four wedges progress from 35.75 PW to 35.50 AW to 35.25 SW and 35.00 LW. Will not effect lie to cut them down and always trim from the butt end of any club. Should be no loss of distance in clubs this short.

Back