5W - replace with hybrid or 3i?

gingerista

Lady Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
^
I'm upgrading my 5w because I was fit for a regular flex, bordering on stiff (I'm a strong 47yo woman - former athlete and trainer). I was going to trade it in for a G25 5w and be done. However, I'm wondering if there might be another solution or benefit.

My 5w (185yd) fits well ok my 4i and 3w (175 and 205 off the deck). For long rough shots, I tend to use my 4i and I hit it well, and don't "need" a hybrid for ease of use. Maybe a hybrid around 18º or 19º would benefit for longer rough shots, or is there another benefit I'm missing? I got a 10 yd boost when replacing my G20 3w in senior flex with the G25 3w in regular flex so going the 5w route might create more of a gap, but I can always choke down a little on it.

My irons are JPX Pro 825 and they don't make a 3i so I'm considering a Mizuno MP-H4 3i as an alternative replacement too. An advantage would be a better ball flight on par 3s (same with the hybrid off of the tee?).

Any thoughts or things I'm not considering?

Thanks

Its really hard to say, but its also something I think is extremely important to take a close look at.
The problem is twofold.
1. You have to make sure you have your gaps nice and tightened up.
2. You have to make sure you have the best possible thing for your game (forgiveness/performance)

I wish I had an answer for you, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Assuming that you play the same course a majority of the time, what are the shots where you use your 5 wood right now? Are they off of the tee, from the fairway, or from the rough? If you can figure that part out, then that will help you make the decision.

In terms of length of shots, it's probably going to go fairway>hybrid>iron because of the shaft lengths. I think that the hybrid is a little more versatile than the fairway wood for different shots because the head is a little smaller. You also mentioned the H4; those are stupid easy to elevate if you want to put an iron in that slot, but a hybrid might even be easier to hit.

As far as the gap issue, you don't think choking up on the 5w is a good solution? My non-scientific observation is that choking down 1" takes off about 10 yards.

Forgiveness wise, I'm comfortable with the fairways and hit my 4i very well. I'm more concerned about a hybrid in that regard.

Thanks for your input.

Assuming that you play the same course a majority of the time, what are the shots where you use your 5 wood right now? Are they off of the tee, from the fairway, or from the rough? If you can figure that part out, then that will help you make the decision.

In terms of length of shots, it's probably going to go fairway>hybrid>iron because of the shaft lengths. I think that the hybrid is a little more versatile than the fairway wood for different shots because the head is a little smaller. You also mentioned the H4; those are stupid easy to elevate if you want to put an iron in that slot, but a hybrid might even be easier to hit.

I play a lot, my home course once or twice a week and someplace else once or twice a week, so I don't have a typical shot with the 5w. I use it off the deck when the 3w is too long and off the tee for 190yd par3s.

I traded in my Adams a12 OS set because I wasn't hitting the hybrids too well and fell for the feel of my Mizuno irons.

Is it safe to say the same shaft (GS95 - R300) in my JPX 825 Pro irons would be the same for the MP-H4 3i or would another fitting be required?

My thought would be this, if you wish to replace your 5w then I would really consider going with the hybrid for the simple fact that that location in your bag set up it would give you the versatility of having a wood like club in your bag for tee shots and yet you would still be able to hit it off the deck. I know in my bag the hardest thing to do is to keep the 5w out because I hit it well and it might be my favorite club. Unfortunately my 3 hybrid is a better fit for my bag. All of that said if you really like your 5w you wish to keep it then you might just want to have it re shafted and adjusted for your bag set up.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I play a lot, my home course once or twice a week and someplace else once or twice a week, so I don't have a typical shot with the 5w. I use it off the deck when the 3w is too long and off the tee for 190yd par3s.

I traded in my Adams a12 OS set because I wasn't hitting the hybrids too well and fell for the feel of my Mizuno irons.

Is it safe to say the same shaft )GS95 - R300) in my PPX 825 Pro irons would be the same for the MP-H4 3i or would another fitting be required?

If you went the iron route, you could use the same shaft pretty easily as you have in the rest of your irons.

In terms of the gapping issue, if you end up choking down pretty often on the club, just get a 1/2 inch or so taken off of the club at the butt end. That way you don't have to feel like you are choking down on it all the time.

One other thing about the hybrid route: some of the hybrids have a smaller profile and are more "iron-like", and other hybrids are larger and almost act like mini-fairway woods. Check out a golf shop and see which type of hybrid you prefer to look at.

Its really hard to say, but its also something I think is extremely important to take a close look at.
The problem is twofold.
1. You have to make sure you have your gaps nice and tightened up.
2. You have to make sure you have the best possible thing for your game (forgiveness/performance)

I wish I had an answer for you, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

JB said it best. Go with what works best for you. Everything is subjective. I carry a 5W and a 3 hybrid, both which are 18 degrees, but I hit the 5W 12/15 yards or so farther and a little lower than the 3H. Both have their place in my bag but it wouldn't work for everyone.

I've had the same struggles with this decision. I've had 3 hybrid, 7 wood and 5 wood and switched them in/out a lot. Today I played with the 5 wood and used my 4/5 hybrids when I needed a longer shot but was trying to be accurate to a certain yardage on par 5's. My 5 wood sat in a bin for many months and I'm just realizing how valuable it is in my bag. I use my 3 wood on tee shots more than in the fairway because I am so consistent with that 5 wood. I don't have less than a 5 iron because I'm much more consistent with the hybrids. I gave my course a lot of thought as to how I needed to play it and that helped my decision. I rarely go for the par 5's in two anymore because I've learned that my short irons are much better from 100 yards in than my sand wedge is out of the sand.

A lot of it has to do with "comfort". If you like/love your 5w, why change? The grass isn't always greener. You seem to have a nice 10 yard gap between the 2. Why mess with that? If you need to hit something 195, just choke down on the 3w. Yardage gaps between the longer clubs isn't nearly as important as it is for the shorter irons.

If you were going to anything, it may be to get the hybrid(s) and/or 3i that WOULD fill the gaps between the 4i and the 3w, and put them in the bag when it suits the course you are playing and that day's weather conditions, assuming you are familiar with the course.

If/When you do try out clubs, make sure to really check the dispersion. Practically all new clubs have the yardage. But, closer proximity to the hole is what we all really need.

Good Luck!

I have just went through the same situation. I was not using my 5 wood much but when I did it was only from the fairway but was never 100% comfortable using it. I decided to go to a 3 hybrid being I like to hit irons more and I believe it will help me on par 5. As always go with what feels best to you and what will better your game.

I went 3h over a 5w. I am more than happy with my decision. I hit my 3h 230 yards on the dot off the tee. I crush it off the deck. I feel confident that I'd I need to hit a draw or fade I can do it every time. I rarely would pull my 5w when I had it.

Back