Sandpiper Golf Club - Santa Barbara, CA (Course Review)

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
Sandpiper Golf Club – Par 72
Silver Tees – 72.2/131, Approx. 6,600 yards

Sandpiper Golf Club in Santa Barbara, CA is one of the courses I have been looking forward to playing for a long time. So when a buddy decided that his bachelor party would culminate with a Sunday round at ‘Pipes, I was very excited! Pic heavy but hope you enjoy!

Hole 1 – Par 5
Sandpiper starts out with a fairly straightforward par 5. Long and straight with fairway bunkers on the left side. I’m not a long hitter so I was playing this to hit in regulation. It could be reached in two but there are two huge bunkers in the front face that will swallow any miss. And we’re off!
Spoiler

Hole 2 – Par 4
The second hole is a long-ish par 4 that has OB right and plays down a little gully area. You need to be in the middle as there is a stand of eucalyptus trees that will block your approach from the rough. After a good drive you are faced with an uphill approach shot to a severely sloping green.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Hole 3 – Par 4
Number three is pretty boring. It's a flat hole with a couple fairway bunkers and nothing memorable to speak of.

Hole 4 – Par 3
The first par 3 is a doozy. It's a bit over 200 yards and has a series of deep bunkers guarding the front. The green is of modest size and you really have to place an accurate shot and have it come in from up high.
Spoiler

Hole 5 – Par 5
This bad boy gives you an idea of what is to come. It's less than 500 yards but everything is up hill, from tee shot to final approach. Left is dead off the tee and you need to be in the middle, even if it means taking a fairway wood. Once you get to the top of the hill an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean becomes apparent. Fun hole if you like hitting into a huge slope!
Spoiler

Hole 6 – Par 3
The Pacific Ocean is the highlight of this medium length par three. This is a simple shot with nothing to worry about but a huge cliff and the ocean to your left. Requires a mid-long iron and a well-placed shot to try and steal par. Take a moment to soak in the view because it is beautiful.
Spoiler

Hole 7 – Par 4
This is a dogleg left that plays downhill. An aggressive play is to try and play over the fairway bunkers that guard the inside of the dogleg. The smart play is to hit a fairway wood out the middle and leave yourself a mid iron into the green. Not nearly the views but certainly a fun hole especially if you try to carry the fairway bunkers.

Hole 8 – Par 4
This is an easy hole plays just straight ahead. You have to avoid the fairway bunkers on the left and on your second shot you got to make sure you don’t go wayward to the right with the trees and scrub that extends towards the fairway and green.

Hole 9 – Par 4
Number nine is fairly anti-climactic; it takes a modest drive to the middle avoiding the fairway bunkers to the right. Don’t miss left as the driving range runs along the entire left side. A fairly boring way to wrap up the front nine but there is plenty to look forward to on the back.

Hole 10 – Par 4
Starting the back nine in style. This hole wraps around as a dogleg left and ends up on a cliff. You have to hit a good drive and are then faced with a green that appears to be perched over the ocean as there is trouble left, right and long. Visually stunning approach shot!
Spoiler

Hole 11– Par 3
I’d call this the signature hole on the course. It's a mid/long par three that plays downhill and has this incredible tee shot that feels like you are launching your tee shot into the ocean. The green ends up just barely above the sand and you feel like you are right on the beach. I found out later that a seal with shark attack wounds was found near here later this day. Random…
Spoiler

Hole 12– Par 4
Since #11 was all downhill, this short par four is ALL uphill. The tee box is just barely above the sand and you hit away from the ocean. It doglegs hard right and there are trees and bunkers on the right to prevent you from trying to cut the corner.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Hole 13 – Par 5
This might also be considered a signature. Now back on top of the bluff this par 5 has cliff running the entire right side. This hole also features two greens, one left that could be reached in two and one right that requires a shot over a deep ravine and huge bunker facing the approach. This day we played to the right green and it forces a layup. Stunning view on this entire hole and there is simply danger everywhere!
Spoiler

Hole 14 – Par 4
A modest par four that is fairly straightforward but again features the cliff and Pacific Ocean the entire length of the hole! It plays slightly uphill and deep bunkers guard the opening of the green. It seems simple but this is the #2 handicap hole on the course. This was my best hole with three great shots stealing me a birdie!
Spoiler

Spoiler

Hole 15 – Par 5
After a series of stunning golf holes, you finally turn away from the ocean. A long dogleg right that has trees and junk everywhere you look.

Hole 16 – Par 4
This hole doglegs to the left but the key is to be straight off the tee. Nothing spectacular but a good little golf hole.
Spoiler

Hole 17 – Par 4
This short par 4 is a definite birdie hole. It doglegs slightly right but as long as you stay clear of the trees on the right, you should have a short iron or wedge with little danger to the green.

Hole 18 – Par 3
It’s always a bummer to end on a par three, but this hole is plenty entertaining. Its modest length and 100% water carry adds an element of danger. Not incredibly exciting but it was fun to have one last chance to throw a dart.
Spoiler

Sandpiper is a good course and presents plenty of spectacular views as well as some real challenging golf shots. It starts slow and ends slow, but that middle part is some of the best golf and best views I’ve ever experienced. All in all, I had a great round and great time at Sandpiper. The day was capped off with a chance meeting of epic proportions!

What a great review! Thanks Heez! I'll be up in SB this weekend and was thinking about playing there. Quite pricey though...

That is a great review.

Very nice review! I gotta play an Oceanside course one of these days.

Looks like quite the challenging course.

Great review. Brings back memories from college when we'd play Piper for next to nothing then spend most of the day in the clubhouse. Thanks for sharing.

Nice review, looks like a fun course.

Very nice review! I gotta play an Oceanside course one of these days.

Looks like quite the challenging course.

Cookie,
You really need to play a Pacific Coast course or two. As you go farther North the coastline becomes more rugged and IMHO the views are even better. SoCal "beach" views on the other hand......

Beautiful course, would love to play somewhere on the Pacific Coast one day...

Thanks for the kind words gents! I really like doing these reviews, almost as much as I like getting out and playing the various courses!

Wonton, if you are a tri-county resident (SLO, SB, Ventura) the rate is much better.

Duffer, there are different types of beach views, each no less incredible than the other. Hehe.

NoLine, she was very nice and even asked how my round was. Very cool.

Very nice review! Some amazing view there. Love the photo at the end.

Great review! Grew up playing ths course. The Tri County area has tons of great golf courses. I highly recommend La Purisima between Lompoc and Solvang. Sandpiper, La Purisima and the Ojai Valley Inn and Country Club and you have had yourself an amazing weekend of golf!!

Did you hit Condi up for a round at Augusta? That is an awesome chance meeting.

This is a great review! I grew up south of Santa Barbara in Ventura and had the opportunity to play Sandpiper a number of times in high school. It is a great course and one of my all time favorites. Next time I make it back to the west coast I will definitely try to play there as well as the Ojai Valley Inn.

Looks great. A co-worker is organizing a work tournament there for May 2014. Something to look forward to.

On the other hand, he played Rancho San Marcos this past weekend as a preview, and the only grass alive on the course was teebox and green.

That is one that I always wanted to play when visiting the central coast. Then I always figured I'd be better off keeping my $150 so I never played it LOL

So very nice views

Back