Buying next set of irons after a previous fitting

Slider

Reaction score
Handicap
About a year and a half ago I was fitted at a place that had trackman into some Taylormade MB irons with the KBS C-Taper S+ shaft. I know they increased swing weight on them for me as I found lead tape in the hosel that broke loose. I can't find their build sheet, but I'm guessing they changed them to D3-D4.They have served me well and I love the feeling, however, it's time to get new irons as they are really starting to get worn on the face.

I just took advantage of Bridgestone's test drive program and got two different iron flexes for their dual pocket iron, X100 and KBS Tour X (they didn't have many other choices that were available). The shafts themselves feel way too heavy to me (even though it's only 5 grams). I can hit them fine, but they are just a hair off to me. I love the look of the bridgestone irons and the head shape is very familiar to what I have now. They are set standard at D1 and I know I can add lead tape to get my swing weight as a test.

My main concern is the shaft. They come standard with Project X shafts, and according to their fit system online they recommend a 6.0 shaft, however, I think the 6.5 is more appropriate. I'm unable to get a test club and think I'll have to do a little on faith but wanted to see what people think. I can get the irons at a good price, but basically with stock options, otherwise it gets fairly expensive. I could easily get my swing weight up a little bit with some tungsten powder with a cork in the shaft. Just curious how people look at this.

Since my fitting, I'm not as steep on my shots and spin seems right on with my current setup. Not sure if these numbers help anyone, but here are some numbers from then:

6 iron club speed: 101.9
backspin: 6650

Not that it will be the "absolute" recommendation, but can you get to a location that has a Mizuno shaft optimizer? Stats from a few swings will allow their algorithm to spit-out some recommendations as well. Also, any thought given to putting the C-Tapers from your current set into the new set? Might require some SW mods, but if your current shafts work well for your swing, it would be an option to consider.

I did actually consider just doing a swap with the shafts and may do that since I like them as much as I do. Edwin Watts locally has that mizuno optimizer. I wonder what it would cost for re shafting the set like that.

I did actually consider just doing a swap with the shafts and may do that since I like them as much as I do. Edwin Watts locally has that mizuno optimizer. I wonder what it would cost for re shafting the set like that.

Not sure on the cost, now, but a couple of years ago I had a couple of clubs re-shafted, and the cost was around $30 IIRC.

FYI that stock shaft is PX Flighted. Maybe you know that already, but didn't see you mention it.

Back