State of Tiger Woods PGA Tour video games?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
I haven't played one of these in years. I've always been a fan of good golf games though, and I think it may be time to give it another go. So how are the more recent versions? Anything really good about them, or just more of the same year after year? I have to say that I fell out of golf games a bit when they went to the analog stick swinging. It just made the game a lot harder for me than the old button-timing method. Do they still use the analog stick swing primarily? Any other thoughts on which game and which platform to play it on? I have a good PC, an Xbox 360, and a PS3, so whichever is best. :) I did notice a sticker on the new version that said you get a free sub to Golf magazine!

Im still playing EA Tiger Woods 11. Tried 12 and hated it, tried 13 and it was alright and havnt tried 14 yet. I am a very casual gamer...as in, I suck lol.

My biggest issue with 14 is that you can't even play all of the courses that are on tour, without paying extra. It's a great game, easy controls, lots of customization. It just takes WAY to much money for the full experience.

Theyre pretty awesome, especially in terms of the graphics and how detailed they are. Having to buy all of the courses and all of the clubs (if you want to use the vintage clubs) kind of sucks though. To get all of the downloadable content, you are probably looking at an extra $40 over what the game itself costs.
There arent many games that I buy but Madden, NCAA football, NHL and TW are ones that I buy every year.

Brought Tiger Woods 14 for the PS3 but couldn't get the game to work at all, just continuously crashed on loading :angry:

I have 14 and i really like it, yes you have to pay extra for courses but that is optional. That has been the case now for several years now. Not a real a big deal for me personally and not a deal breaker. I will say i did pay for Bethpage but i just really like the course so it was easy to part with the $5 for it. I will say the one thing i miss that they had a few years ago was the real time scoring. During a tournament you would get a feed on your screen when somebody around you on the leaderboard did something to alter the standings. I loved it but typical EA they removed the feature upon future release. I love the fact that you get all four majors, for the longest time you only got one and everything else was just some random name that they called a major.

I did read that there was not going to be a tiger woods 15 for some reason. Read it on IGN forgot exactly the reason why. Overall I personally love the game.

Im thinking about breaking down and buying Whistling Straits.

Im thinking about breaking down and buying Whistling Straits.

I think that if you play enough with a moderate difficulty, you can just buy the course packs with the coins you accumulate. That's how it was on 13. I think.

They removed the ability to simply buy a course via in game points. How sweet of them right? Jerks.

As for no TW15, it's because of the new gaming consoles. They want to skip a year so that they can put out what they consider to be an appropriate level of quality with the new tech.

They removed the ability to simply buy a course via in game points. How sweet of them right? Jerks.

As for no TW15, it's because of the new gaming consoles. They want to skip a year so that they can put out what they consider to be an appropriate level of quality with the new tech.

That is what i thought it was, thank you for clarifying.

This was a huge disappointment for this years version to TW. Last year's had some nice new features but I feel they went backwards this year. And how about the soundtrack, awful...

So how many courses does TW14 have if you don't buy any? I hate the idea of having to pay for more add-ons after buying a game. Better off going with TW13?

So how many courses does TW14 have if you don't buy any? I hate the idea of having to pay for more add-ons after buying a game. Better off going with TW13?

I bought the Masters Edition and it says on the cover that there are 25 courses total. That includes the Augusta Par 3 and 1934 Augusta. Im not really sure what the normal edition has but i know that you still get plenty including Augusta National, Oak Land Hill, Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass.

Btw in your career you come to a tournament that is at course that requires DLC, you have the option to move the tournament to a different venue so you don't skip the tournament.

I think that if you play enough with a moderate difficulty, you can just buy the course packs with the coins you accumulate. That's how it was on 13. I think.
Like Mward said, they changed it in TW14 that you now have to buy those course with real-world money, not in-game currency. Its brilliant if youre EA and Sony/Microsoft but it sucks for the rest of us.
It looks like it costs $39.99 to download the rest of the courses. If theres not going to be a new TW game next year due to next-gen hardware, I may just go ahead and buy all of the DLC.

Back