Moments you hate golf

Grod

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have moments where you come so close to taking a major break from the game or even quitting for good? How do you handle it??

For me it was today, life has been crazy with school and work but I had a rare opportunity tonight to go to the driving range for the first time in like. 4 months and I couldn't hit a decent shot to save my life, I had zero distance control and I would constantly chunk the shot and I even drew laughs from people playing around me. I left with out even hitting the last 15-20 balls in the basket. All the progress I made was pretty much gone , I felt it was like the first time I picked up a golf club. And to make it even worse my girlfriend who is horrendous at golf usually decided today was a good day to hit the ball like a single digit handicap. -_-

I remind myself that perfection is the direction, not the destination. That I have to take a round-about path sometimes. Sometimes I feel those moments, & I do get them, remind me that I might need to be doing something else at that moment. If I can't focus on golf, w/o other crap creeping in, I pack it up & go work on the crap that I don't want to do. I chat with friends to find a bit of serenity. Hang in there.

Anyone have moments where you come so close to taking a major break from the game or even quitting for good? How do you handle it??

For me it was today, life has been crazy with school and work but I had a rare opportunity tonight to go to the driving range for the first time in like. 4 months and I couldn't hit a decent shot to save my life, I had zero distance control and I would constantly chunk the shot and I even drew laughs from people playing around me. I left with out even hitting the last 15-20 balls in the basket. All the progress I made was pretty much gone , I felt it was like the first time I picked up a golf club. And to make it even worse my girlfriend who is horrendous at golf usually decided today was a good day to hit the ball like a single digit handicap. -_-

We all have those days.

The good news is, as you improve, your swing gets more consistent. The more consistent your swing becomes, the better you become and self-analyzing any faults. If you're new to the game, it can be a bit difficult because your swing is so inconsistent, so taking a lesson when you're out of sorts is usually a good idea.

I hate those days when everything in my swing gets out of sync and nothing works, I hate it so much!

I hate those days when everything in my swing gets out of sync and nothing works, I hate it so much!

I used to get those days last year, then I started being more consistent

I used to get those days last year, then I started being more consistent

that's what I'm working on right now, some days it works others it doesn't

I would agree that we have all had those days. For me its usually afyer playing a couple of rounds and scoring decent for me and then going out and not being able to do anything! My dad used to say "Son, if you can memorize this game, you will be ok"!

We all have those days...even tour pros have days where they shoot in the 80's...it's just one of the quirks of the game. They key is being able to play enough that those days are fewer and farther in between. I recently had 20 or so consectutive rounds under 85 with a round in the mid 70's sprinked in....so what did I do 3 days after shooting that 76? .....yep I go out and shoot 98....couldnt hit anything....you can't let it get you down.

When you bomb a drive down the middle walk up and chunk that "easy" wedge or approach shot. Then chunk the easier shot onto the green. Then you blade one across the green. Then you finally chip on but 90' from the hole. Then 3 putt from there. Walk away with the snowman on the card and a hate golf.

When you bomb a drive down the middle walk up and chunk that "easy" wedge or approach shot. Then chunk the easier shot onto the green. Then you blade one across the green. Then you finally chip on but 90' from the hole. Then 3 putt from there. Walk away with the snowman on the card and a hate golf.

Amen to that. Especially when you are on pace to have a great round and do it 2-3 times on the back nine.

Amen to that. Especially when you are on pace to have a great round and do it 2-3 times on the back nine.

Exactly. Those few holes are why I shoot 89-92 instead of 79

ROFLOL Sounds like my round last Saturday! Today will be better!
I couldn't hit a single iron which is usually my strong game from 150 in but I bladed everything that day. I just sat back and drank a beer and said well at least I'm not at work.

NEVER. If I get to that point i will quit. Golf is supposed to be fun...

ROFLOL Sounds like my round last Saturday! Today will be better!
I couldn't hit a single iron which is usually my strong game from 150 in but I bladed everything that day. I just sat back and drank a beer and said well at least I'm not at work.

That's the best attitude to have and sometimes I forget that. Just slow down and enjoy it.

What makes this game so great is that its sooo hard. I hear and can feel your frustration. I posted a thread recently with the intention of just to vent. Playing the game for 20yrs and yet get days when its like you have never seen or swung at a golf ball in your life. Your not the only one and it wont be the last time it ever happens. I have come to realize that I just dont and cant get out to play/practice even a percentage of the amount that it would take to stay consistant. Some people are naturally better at doing it than others and one may not require as much time as another neads to stay consistant (of course all relatively speaking).

So with that said, you nead to ask yourself just how much time do you put in to it playing and/or practicing?? You know you can hit good balls with most clubs so you frustratingly wonder why you cant hit more consistantly more often or how you can fall apart so badly. Repetitions, repetitions and more repetitions but only if those reps are the correct swing. Dont want to develope the wrong muscle memmory.

The next time you hit a great shot it makes it all go away. That is, till the next bad one. Nead a positive attitude and just keep trying.

I used to have those days sometimes but lately Ive worked a lot on my mental game and I dont have those anymore. Unless you play for a living, you have no reason to get so upset on the course that you would considing quitting.

I have had those days. For me, a major break is just a few days. I literally just put the clubs up, relax, maybe play video games a couple of days rather than go out and golf. Just sort of clear my head of the sport. Does wonders for me.

~Rock

Have you followed me around on the course and didn't tell me?

Tapping my way forward as a MC hopeful

To the OP. Golf is not like a lot of things where you can just pick it back up after a long layoff and succeed. I think more than any other sport, golf requires consistency and dedication. I know that for me personally if I take more than a week off, my game declines, four months off and I'd be lucky to make contact too. So before you consider hanging em up for good, consider dedicating some more time to it. This past year I did just that and my game improved considerably and the game itself has become a lot more fun. We could all use more time but finding enough for a range session once every week or two will do wonders for your game. Enjoy it!

To the OP. Golf is not like a lot of things where you can just pick it back up after a long layoff and succeed. I think more than any other sport, golf requires consistency and dedication. I know that for me personally if I take more than a week off, my game declines, four months off and I'd be lucky to make contact too. So before you consider hanging em up for good, consider dedicating some more time to it. This past year I did just that and my game improved considerably and the game itself has become a lot more fun. We could all use more time but finding enough for a range session once every week or two will do wonders for your game. Enjoy it!

For the most part yes but everyone is different. I've played some of my best golf after long layovers ( > 1 month or more)

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

haha lmao this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Story of my golf game 80% of the time man.....

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

If my range session begins to fall apart I will slowly walk to go get a soda, come back to my bag, wipe off each club, put them back in the back in the order I like and just stand there and relax for a few minutes just watching others hit balls, or the clouds roll by, while enjoying the drink and the day. Once I feel the tension begin to ease I might take out a wedge and hit little pitch shots towards a blade of grass or weed out on the range just looking for something positive to end my day on.

Gaijin_Golfer nailed it. If your swing begins to fall apart on the course try not to give up. This the perfect opportunity to work on your mental game. If you don't learn something from a horrible round then it truly was a wasted day. I know it's easier said than done when you feel like you can't even hit the ball, but on bad swing days, focus on what you want to do, and even if you fail to do it 99% of the time, keep trying, and on those days when your are hitting the ball better, you will be prepared to take advantage of it!

When I continuously fail to perform some element of the game that I know how to do and have performed previously with some level of competence.

I hate moving at a solid clip and having a good time and then BAMMM, you run into a group that tee'd off an hour before you. Buzz and round kill!
I also hate courses that have clueless grounds crews that put pins on slopes, cut the rough wrong and just collect a pay check

Back