Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891353103 ... LastLast

Thread: TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Handicap
    Thanks
    Guys! I can almost guarantee that these videos don't tell half the excitement you all experienced this past weekend. Just watching the introduction I could imagine myself at a THP event but let alone the ultimate club testing! I hope everyone is back home safely or traveling safely. I wish I could trade spots with someone for this experience. Enjoy the irons and let us know all your thoughts.
    Great swing Dan!
    Is that Benji I see opening a box of irons?
    DRIVER: Classic 310 w/ 59s
    FAIRWAY:
    Super-S Speedline w/ ​Radix
    HYBRID: X-Hot Hybrid 19*
    IRONS: Ci11 5-PW w/KBS Tour
    WEDGES: 4161 48* 588 RTX 52* & 56*
    FLATSTICK: Versa #1
    BALL:

Handicap
    6.3 GHIN
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,776 Posts
    30.5 degree 7 iron! Would have to add another wedge or two with the low lofts in this set. Sounds like it was an awesome and and very informative experience. Looking forward to reading more about the clubs, experience, etc.
    Driver: Classic 290 10.5* w/ Kusala White 61S
    FW: Mashie TF3 (14*), F5 (18*) & Launcher 7W
    Irons: JPX 800 Pro 5 - GW
    Wedges: 588 Forged Raw 54*, 58*
    Putters: mFGP DF (rest of collection: PR m7/PR m2c/PR m8/z2c/mFGP/mFGP2/OneCS/m7)
    Ball: B330-RX

* Everything above is likely to change to something else in 2015 except putters and balls

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 57,575 Times in 11,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
    30.5 degree 7 iron! Would have to add another wedge or two with the low lofts in this set. Sounds like it was an awesome and and very informative experience. Looking forward to reading more about the clubs, experience, etc.
    I would check out the specs of the PW and AW compared to your current set before jumping to that. Remember that TaylorMade has altered the loft to fit to a launch and that is why you may see some numbers differ from current sets and others similar.

I think people are quick to jump on differing lofts, rather than actual yardages they are hitting the clubs.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

Jman (09-16-2013),JonD (09-16-2013)

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,523 Times in 5,491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
    I don't really think so. At least not from specs and personal experience. The PW is the same loft as yours right now.
    XTD
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    FG Tour

Handicap
    15.7 OOB
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Maaan I want to try these. Any of you who were coming from thinner profile irons find the larger size distracting, or were you too mesmerized by the performance to notice (side note: I wouldn't blame you!)? The more I read about GI irons like this one that actually look decent, the more I think I'm a total putz for clutching on to my small head CB irons that miss the green when I thin them...
    #TheKing - #ImwithChad - Congrats to Team Harry

Currently In The Bag:
    R9 460 10.5* C.Kua 59 S
    910F (17*) Diamana 'ahina 82 S
    J40 3h (21*) 6.0 4h (24*) ProForce Black 85HS
    CB3 5-GW Tour 90 S
    Forged Copper 54*-11* & 58*-9* DG Wedge
    Aussie IBF Tour Edition Mallet (34")

Morgan Cup Supporter TripleBogieTim's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 12.9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 759 Posts
    That is awesome...loved watching that fitting and seeing the difference in the 2 clubs...and nobody is can get tired of watching Dan's swing...its a thing of beauty!

Major Champion
    Handicap
    14.4 USGA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,654 Posts
    First off, and I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but I could watch Canadan swing a golf club all day long. Such a fluid swing and a picturesque finish.

Secondly, excited about what I've seen so far and even more excited to hear the rest. I'm glad someone talked about holding greens with less spin, because that was going to be my question, and it must all be because of the decent angles. Pretty incredible that you're seeing a 4.5* decrease in loft yet a higher ball flight; imagine if they kept the lofts the same as a traditional set, you wouldn't be able to keep those things down at all!

I think the questions about the wedges is fair, because as we've seen with the speed pocket clubs loft doesn't really mean as much anymore, but if the wedges don't have them, then more traditional gapping would probably be seen.

Great stuff so far all.
    Proud member of and for the 2014 Morgan Cup!

WITB
    In my ​2014 Morgan Cup Staff Bag:
    Driver: J40 445CC 9.5* with shaft
    Fairway: J40 4w (16*) with shaft
    Hybrids:
    J40 2H (18*) and 4h (24*) with shaft
    Irons:
    J40 DPC 5-PW with Tour White Pearl shafts
    Wedges: J40 black oxide wedges 52* bent to 50*, 54*, 58* with Tour Black Pearl shafts
    Putter: TD-03 True Balance putter
    Ball:
    Tour B330RX Yellow

#ZooKeeper

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,374 Times in 5,429 Posts
    Dans fitting video was great. 9 more yards, higher launch, and 1200 RPM's less spin.

That's what it's all about they both said.

Looking out at TM's site now and reading about the stock graphite. Stiff flex is at 75g which is appealing to me as I have wanted to try something heavier than the 55g I am currently at. Like they they didn't go super light with the stock graphite offering. It's called the Velox T which I have never heard of.
    Captain of the #BasementDwellers in the 2014 Grandaddy against the Callaway Golf #ZooCrew
    #NoRagrets

Grip n rip
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Can someone give an overview of the entire set? What were their early thoughts based on the couple of rounds played so far?
    I can try....

Overall, I'd say the set does a nice job with distance gapping. I was seeing similar gaps to my current irons, about 10-15 yards between each club from 140 (carry) with the AW up to about 215 with the 5 iron. I can't comment well on the 4 iron distance as I was struggling with that club. Its going to take some adjustment to hit it well. I haven't gamed a 4 iron in an iron set in years. I'm a mental midget and it showed when overswinging this club more times than not.

I really like the look of these irons. They remind me an awful lot of the Burner 2.0s at address and that's a good thing. The 2 tone metal frames the face nicely and gives it a slimming look. The cavity is barely visible behind the topline in the 5 iron and 4 iron. Don't even think you see it 6 down to AW. That's quite a visual change from the Cleveland Altitudes for me.

I LOVE the blue color scheme, and that they covered the pocket in the back of the irons. Its just a real good look in my opinion.

The sound is excellent. I don't think I'd change a thing here. I cannot tell a difference in sound going from the 8 to the slotted 7. That's a huge improvement from last year's bladez.

I really enjoyed hitting the AW. I was using it primarily for full swings but the others in my groups were using it extensively for feel shots around the greens with good results. I found that the AW may have given a slightly more penetrating flight than the other irons.

Like others, I found that sticking the greens with less spin was not an issue. I was not backing up the irons much, but they were basically hopping and stopping with no roll out.

On the range and on course, I found I could flight these low with no problems whatsoever. Maybe my favorite shot of the weekend was on Sunday. Ridiculous hard hole that was 420 to the pin into the wind, but you couldn't really hit driver as the fairway narrowed down to about 15 yards between water on the left AND right. Well I hit driver anyways because I was pretty much goofing around and of course found the water. I was left about 190 to the pin dead into the wind, all water carry. I was able to flight a 5 iron low into that wind, landing and only releasing about 5 feet to about 8 feet from the cup. Made the putt for par for icing on the cake. I could not have flighted my altitudes that way.

These are not as laterally forgiving as the altitude irons. I think they pack a lot of forgiveness for the size of the clubhead, but distance loss is noticeably more when I catch one out on the toe (which is my more common miss). For example, on one of the par 3s yesterday I think we had about 175 to the stick, carry of about 150 over junk to safety. Took a horrible tired 8 iron swing that was barely on the grooves. The ball still cleared the junk by a good margin but was about 10 yards short of the green for about 15 yards total distance loss. I think with the altitudes, distance loss would have been more in the 5 to 8 yard range. But again, I was surprised I even got over the junk with that swing. These will definitely aid you on a less than perfect swing.
    Participant in #TheKing and #ImWithHarry, obviously!

In my C130 Cart Bag:
    Driver: 9* Big Bertha Alpha with Fubuki ZT
    Hybrid: 18* X2 Hot Pro with Aldila Tour Green X Flex
    Hyrons: Altitudes, 4 to DW with Stock Stiff UST Graphite
    Wedges: 51, 55 and 60 with DG Spinner shafts
    Putter: Metal X #7
    Ball: B-330-S or Chrome +

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to golf4life For This Useful Post:

#Cookie (09-16-2013),DevRickus (09-16-2013),Hawk (09-16-2013),JB (09-16-2013),Jman (09-16-2013),McRock (09-16-2013),Mward (09-16-2013),OhioMatt (09-16-2013),Penglynns (09-24-2013),tpluff (09-16-2013)

Handicap
    3 Mos. Off
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,787 Times in 3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBumGolfer View Post
    Maaan I want to try these. Any of you who were coming from thinner profile irons find the larger size distracting, or were you too mesmerized by the performance to notice (side note: I wouldn't blame you!)? The more I read about GI irons like this one that actually look decent, the more I think I'm a total putz for clutching on to my small head CB irons that miss the green when I thin them...
    Not the thinnest, but I was playing i20s prior. I'll have some comparison pics up when I get home, but snapped this on the range (my intention was to show the glare difference: i20 blinding; SpeedBlade muted; however this pic is a crappy demonstration of that).

For my eye, I felt more comfortable over the SpeedBlade all weekend, than I have over the i20s the last few weeks.

Driver: XGC6 10.5 w/ VTS TourSPX
    Fairway: CB5 16.5 w/Accra AC75
    Hybrid: BioCell 4/5
    Irons: Apex 5-AW w/ Recoil 110 F4
    Wedges: 55 Shelf Grind; and 60 Wide Grind w/ Hi-Rev
    Putter: Smoke Diamond z3c Private Reserve
    Ball: B330-RX

Twitter: @pete_carroll4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to O'Carroll For This Useful Post:

SkiBumGolfer (09-16-2013)

Handicap
    <5
    Thanks
    Are the shafts in these irons really light? I know very little about shafts but when I look at my irons shafts the spec sheet says 130g and these are 75g. What problems/benefits could arise from such a change in shaft weight?
    Driver: Big Bertha Alpha 9 degree w/ Matrix White Tie
    3W: RBZ 13 degree
    Hybrid: X2Hot Pro 18 degree
    Hybrid: Razr 24 degree
    Irons: Speedblades 4-PW
    Wedges: Vokey SM 50/56 degree
    Putter: FGP2
    Ball: ProV1

Major Champion
    Handicap
    5.3 GHIN
    Thanks
    Great stuff guys. Love how much people are loving these.

Here is my concern about this iron. You guys are talking about not having issues holding greens, but with what irons? I'm concerned about the long to mid irons on long Par 3's, for example. Are you still able to generate enough spin that it won't release? A few Par 3's come to mind with forced carries. If it's a front pin is there enough carry and spin to stay close to the flag?
    G30 9.5*
    XHot 3Deep
    Mashie 5W
    Pro Gold
    54* tour grind, 58* U grind
    RIFE ICONIC
    Z-Star, Z-Star XV Chrome+

Two time
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Awesome stuff right there G4L..glad to hear you're a fan of the irons. It's good to hear that these can be delighted down when they're designed to be hit higher
    Driver: R1 Stock
    3 Wood: Jetspeed 15*
    Irons: Apex Pro 4-PW Tour-V Stiff
    Wedges: 56* 60*
    Putter: white hot tour #1
    Ball: :: Lethal

Handicap
    15.7 OOB
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Carroll View Post
    Not the thinnest, but I was playing i20s prior. I'll have some comparison pics up when I get home, but snapped this on the range (my intention was to show the glare difference: i20 blinding; SpeedBlade muted; however this pic is a crappy demonstration of that).

For my eye, I felt more comfortable over the SpeedBlade all weekend, than I have over the i20s the last few weeks.
    I could easily stand over either of those, so I guess that quiets my concerns right there. Definitely need to get these in hand to see it for myself though.
    #TheKing - #ImwithChad - Congrats to Team Harry

Currently In The Bag:
    R9 460 10.5* C.Kua 59 S
    910F (17*) Diamana 'ahina 82 S
    J40 3h (21*) 6.0 4h (24*) ProForce Black 85HS
    CB3 5-GW Tour 90 S
    Forged Copper 54*-11* & 58*-9* DG Wedge
    Aussie IBF Tour Edition Mallet (34")

#ZooKeeper

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,374 Times in 5,429 Posts
    Fantastic info G4L! Much appreciated as you touched on items I was very curious about being an Altitude guy like you.
    Captain of the #BasementDwellers in the 2014 Grandaddy against the Callaway Golf #ZooCrew
    #NoRagrets